PDA

View Full Version : Long necks and a day trip in Chiangmai !

June 22nd, 2009, 23:32
Elephants, monkeys and long necks, a day trip in Chiangmai

June 22nd, 2009, 23:34
I always wondered what kind of insensitive git would engage in and support the human zoo that has been made of the long neck people. Now I know.

June 22nd, 2009, 23:34
elephants, monkeys and long necks, a day trip in Chiangmai

June 22nd, 2009, 23:37

June 22nd, 2009, 23:40

June 22nd, 2009, 23:42

June 23rd, 2009, 00:02
I always wondered what kind of insensitive git would engage in and support the human zoo that has been made of the long neck people. Now I know.

You too are a part of a human zoo !

Thick necks, long necks and normal necks.

Judge yourself, when's not your neck maybe it's your long dick.

You should not earn money to show off, but they have no other option and have to do!

Dick ! :flower:

Cees-Holland
June 23rd, 2009, 00:43
Thanks for the pictures! they look great.

Did the same trip less then 4 weeks ago. I found the elephant ride spectacular and was scared sh**less when the driver jumped off and said "Bye bye". :)
I will remember that years to come.

June 23rd, 2009, 02:05

Everyone to there own. Why are you especially judging people with your record on this forum. The word 'Git' makes me curious. Thats a common word in Scotland. Your not surely one of the low life Glaswegians from the Gorballs (sic) are you?.

Beachlover
June 23rd, 2009, 05:14
lol your boyfriend is totally cute. Really good with photographs too.

Bob
June 23rd, 2009, 08:53

Everyone to there own. Why are you especially judging people with your record on this forum. The word 'Git' makes me curious. Thats a common word in Scotland. Your not surely one of the low life Glaswegians from the Gorballs (sic) are you?.

The silly wabbit is the only idiot I have on ignore but, by quoting the rodent occasionally, the ignore function doesn't work and I am treated to such ignorant quotes as this one. Let's see, the silly wabbit patronizes boybars, saunas, or whatever but somehow gets tweaked out because somebody goes to the longneck village. Amazing logic, silly wabbit.

June 23rd, 2009, 08:56
Bob speaks.

They are not "longneck villages". The long neck people are taken from their villages and put on display by unscrupulous Thai businessmen, who basically hold them hostage and pay them slave wages. The practice continues, thanks to idiots like baziel who patronize these human zoos.

Oh, they're from Miramar by the way. Bob.

June 23rd, 2009, 09:01
Oh, Bob...educate yourself here before you squawk again:

http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=34 (http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=482&Itemid=34)

Someone please quote this so that Bob can become less ignorant.

June 23rd, 2009, 09:13
http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=34 (http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=482&Itemid=34)

Someone please quote this so that Bob...

Like the tiger temple article, this one might be worth taking a look at.

I could almost understand your concern over animals that can't choose but this is a different ballgame. I think we all agree that some people have been dealt a crap hand in life but they choose how to play it and I personally don't feel responsible for political problems in Burma. These people are probably better off getting to stay in Thailand (through admissions fees to the 'zoo') than they would be if sent back home.

June 23rd, 2009, 09:17
I engage in pay-for-play occasionally, like everyone else here. But only with adults who make their own conscious decisions in life, and who pocket every satang I give them themselves. I see no parallels with the long-neck people, who are clearly exploited for the profit of others.

June 23rd, 2009, 09:21
But only with adults who make their own conscious decisions in life, and who pocket every satang I give them themselves. I see no parallels with the long-neck people, who are clearly exploited for the profit of others.

I agree it was a bad analogy, which is why I was editing it when you posted this reply. I assume you'd consider go-go bars exploitative then? Goodness knows that they are making a good profit and not giving every satang to the employees.

Heck, I'm in the IT business and I get nowhere near the money that my employer brings in from my efforts. Being a business owner I'm sure you have a good understanding of how such things work. Perhaps you are advocating minimum wage laws for Thailand?

June 23rd, 2009, 09:52
We already have minimum wage laws in Thailand.

Your attempt to elicit a parallel between go-go boys and the long neck people is doomed to failure. There are no parallels. Those boys have choices. They come and go as they please. They can go work as a check-out boy at Tesco-Lotus any day of the week -- if they're satisfied with the salary. The tips they receive are theirs to keep.

I cannot see how anyone with a conscience would pay a Thai businessman for the chance to gawk at long neck people who receive nothing but a place to sleep and a couple bowls of rice a day -- and who cannot just walk away if they want.

Beachlover
June 23rd, 2009, 11:58
Baziel probably wasn't aware of all this so I don't think there's any need for such a personal attack.

I think the long neck thing is fairly fake and probably quite exploitative... but the photos are nice anyway. lol your boyfriend is cute... must be fun. Hope he enjoys the travels.

TrongpaiExpat
June 23rd, 2009, 13:54
Baziel probably wasn't aware of all this so I don't think there's any need for such a personal attack.

I think the long neck thing is fairly fake and probably quite exploitative...

It's not fake. I think it was National Geographic that went in and did some X-rays and discovered that the necks were not longer, the rings lowered the rib cage and that interferes with normal lung function.

I don't visit the Long Neck tribes/tourist displays.

Beachlover
June 23rd, 2009, 14:08

I think the long neck thing is fairly fake and probably quite exploitative...

It's not fake. I think it was National Geographic that went in and did some X-rays and discovered that the necks were not longer, the rings lowered the rib cage and that interferes with normal lung function.

I don't visit the Long Neck tribes/tourist displays.

Didn't mean physically fake... I meant culturally fake. As in, they wear those rings, not because of some cultural/native tradition, but because they want to put on a show to attract the interest of tourists.

June 23rd, 2009, 14:15
No, that part is real.

The problem is as noted in the article, though. It is nothing more than a human zoo, with crooked Thai businessmen as the zookeepers.

TrongpaiExpat
June 23rd, 2009, 19:16
A good article and you should read it if your considering a trip to the North that includes a stop at one of these villages.

http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=482&Itemid=34

June 23rd, 2009, 19:27
Uh, yeah...that's the same article I linked to.

TrongpaiExpat
June 23rd, 2009, 20:02

Yes, I know but those who have you on ignore for being an insulting asshole did not get to read it, so I posted it again. I thought it was an excellent article.

It's not the first investigative report on the Long Neck tribes. I recall reading similar articles back in the early 90's when they first appeared on the tour itineraries.

June 23rd, 2009, 22:29

Yes, I know but those who have you on ignore for being an insulting asshole did not get to read it, so I posted it again.

THANX TPE!

June 23rd, 2009, 22:43
See, put me on ignore me and you miss some good stuff.

Smiles
June 23rd, 2009, 23:56
" ... Uh, yeah...that's the same article I linked to.Yes, I know but those who have you on ignore for being an insulting asshole did not get to read it ... "
:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

:blob: :blob: :blob: :blob:

June 24th, 2009, 03:07
" ... Uh, yeah...that's the same article I linked to.Yes, I know but those who have you on ignore for being an insulting asshole did not get to read it ... "
:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

:blob: :blob: :blob: :blob:

You see she still doesnt realise what a dimwit she is. My God she is funny :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :salute: :salute: :colors: :colors: Thats what comes with owning a two + two, 20 year old business. Obviously tired and probably losing money and now pounds the keyboard 24/7.

June 24th, 2009, 03:50
Your attempt to elicit a parallel between go-go boys and the long neck people is doomed to failure. There are no parallels. Those boys have choices.

The article implies that they'd be deported if all tourists stopped going to see them. I entertained your suggestion that they are underpaid since that might be a valid complaint, but having less savory options doesn't make them slaves.

They can either work under the conditions offered or go back to their own country. That is a choice. Genuine slaves don't have the option of leaving.

June 24th, 2009, 06:23
The Karen are from the hills of Thailand by the border of Myanmar. They did have tribespeople on both sides of the border from what I recall.

They also had talk about a Karen tribe village that was supposed to be put right in Pattaya a year or 2 back. Don't think thats come to fruition though, or maybe just hasn't been completed yet.

If people are willing to relocate in hopes for a better financial future, as was the case with the idea for the village in Pattaya. Tourists coming in and buying goods at prices they would never have been able to imagine in the villages, I wouldn't call exploiting people. The people were to be basically given homes in Pattaya in the Karen village, and asked to live the way they did in the hills. These people are choosing to go, not being forced.

Great pics by the way Baziel. It looks like you had a fun day out.

June 24th, 2009, 16:10
These people are probably better off getting to stay in Thailand (through admissions fees to the 'zoo') than they would be if sent back home.

Agreed (for once).

Given the choice beween going about my normal business dressed in my traditional dress / uniform (depending on how you see it) and having my photo taken when in public, and dancing on a stage in front of a bunch of aliens in my underwear, I think I'd go for the former.

I don't see it as being that far removed from my taking part in "Open Days" where outsiders would visit to satisfy their curiousity, which although I personally saw them as being a waste of time were simply part of the job.