PDA

View Full Version : Today's Laugh (Bangkok Traffic Crossings)

June 21st, 2009, 15:50
I am thinking of my most often (vaguely) seen "pedestrian crossing" that ends at a booth that one cannot manuevre through and I am also thinking of the departures dropoff area at Suvarnabhumi Airport that has clearly marked pedestrian crossings at the entrances and yet I have never seen an automobile stop for pedestrians. I am laughing.

Hit the brakes!
The Nation
Published on June 19, 2009

Police get tough on drivers who ignore pedestrian crossings

Signs are going up at Bangkok pedestrian crossings as warnings to drivers of a new traffic regulation that will become effective on August 1. From that date, drivers who don't stop to let pedestrians cross the road will be slapped with a Bt500 fine if they are caught by police.

The signs have been put up as part of an initiative by City Hall and traffic police that aims to encourage pedestrians' confidence in the crossings by forcing motorists to respect them.

Respect for road users

Bangkok Traffic and Transport Department deputy director Jumpol Sampaopol said the initiative was aimed at reducing accidents mainly caused by pedestrians who cross the road without using a designated crossing point or footbridge.

"Drivers and pedestrians seem to have lost respect for each other recently. We want people to take that respect seriously. People must use pedestrian crossings or footbridges and drivers have to stop whenever they see someone wants to cross."

June 22nd, 2009, 05:13
Silly question, but ... Will this rule also apply to police vehicles that don't stop at pedestrian crossings?

Bob
June 22nd, 2009, 07:46
Sometimes I think the marked pedestrian crossings in Thailand are simply read by some Thai drivers that anybody within the crosswalk is considered "fair game."

In Chiangmai, they have a few of the crossings with lights (you know, you push the button on the pole, the lights turn red for oncoming traffic, and there's an electronic counter which tells you how long you have to get your ass across the street). The one on Taipae Road just east of the Taipae Gate is especially notorious for this - many Thai drivers (cars or motorsys) look at the crossing as an opportunity to scare the living bejeebees out of anyone that mindlessly crosses the street without watching for and dodging out of the way of the errant drivers. Presume they won't stop as too often they don't.