PDA

View Full Version : Any views on "Silom City Inn" Hotel? (The conclusion :)

Cees-Holland
June 19th, 2009, 19:36
Thanks to all responded to the other threat.

I think saw a hotel that looks OK for me: "Silom City Inn Bangkok 72 Soi Prachum, Silom 22".
The plan is to stay there a few nights before going upwards to Udon Thani by bus (But that is the next step in this adventure)
I am with a "special friend" already so I am not picking up anyone, I do like to smell the Bangkok gay area (sort off :clown: ).

Does any one have a view/input about this hotel (location, value for money etc)?

E.g. they have an airport pickup service for 1100 Baht that looks a bit over the top (but I am still a newbie)

June 19th, 2009, 20:52
Cees I just looked it up it looks like quite a sweet little hotel, I have a sixth sense for these things, I almost said trust me but that would be silly. I would try it out myself.

Im looking for hotel right now as well, somewhere I can be anonymous, just get away from everyone for a bit. Something boutique would be nice. Problem is a change is as frightening as anything and nothing like a holiday. Men are such creatures of habit. Any way Im veering off topic.

Your English is erg goed hoor, let us know how you find the hotel. 1400 for pick up at the airport is not a very bad price in my book though a taxi would be cheaper. It usually cost me around 4000 bhT including bottled water and an ice face cloth :blush:

Groetjies Cedric.

pong
June 19th, 2009, 21:02
nou, daar gaat ie dan: Cheap HTL near Silom
1. BAVANA_advance web booking for 1000 bt/room, same complex as the Suriwong short time HTL and JUPITER bar
2.forgot the name-new HTL just opened (well, when I last was in BKK=early march) on Suriwong, across from the gay HTL-near the Montien-advertised rooms for 1000 (or maybe even 8/900??). has been mentioned with name here too-search for postings around that period.
Tip; even if you want to book online/before-ONLY do that for just 1 night-decice if its worth it for longer stay only after sleeping-talk with reception and they surely in these veryfewtourist days will match the original price or even lower it. try sites like agoda or asiahotels.
taxi-on the meter to Silom from airpt should cost about 200/250 bt on the meter+ not metered 50 bt for airport+any tolls you pay for expressway-usually 70 (25+45). have small notes for driver=not 1000s or 500s
en als dit dus echt de aller1te x is: prik je niet vast op die ene vooruitbestelde, er zijn er 1000en en nog meer-99% ook heel lief.
Final: for me Silom area is about the worst area to stay in DAYtime in BKK-nothing to do-always needs taxi or skytrain to go somewhere a tourist might want to go to. Only office and shops.

June 19th, 2009, 21:17
nou, daar gaat ie dan: Cheap HTL near Silom

Nou zeg meen je dat? Its cheaper than the limo from the airport per night. I was thinking of the Metropolitan also Silom.

Sure Cees will have a super time, the hotel is secondary on a first visit, he will hardly notice it anyway. :salute:

June 19th, 2009, 22:43
I spent one night in Silom City Inn, about 5 - 6 years ago. I don't remember much about it, except that it was generally OK, somewhat basic. I would rate it as 2-star. Except for not having an in-room safe, I don't recall any great unhappinness about the place. In that sense, it's fairly good, because if it had been bad in any striking way, I certainly would remember.

That was 5 - 6 years ago. Do they have an in-room safe now? I don't know. Has the hotel been poorly maintained since? I don't know. Has it been refurbished since? Maybe. I don't know either, but if the rate they are quoting you is anything under 1200 baht, then unlikely.

Why did I stay only one night? I didn't book at that hotel. The stupid hotel that I booked with lost my booking, so when I showed up, they said they were full. They found me a room at Silom City Inn instead - that's how I ended up there for one night. The second night, I went back to the original hotel and they upgraded me to a junior suite for the price of a standard room, for the rest of my stay.

Cees-Holland
August 19th, 2009, 19:41
Forgot to report back you all about this Hotel.

Taxi:
First of all. I used the services of Mr Dream Transport (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/member/Mr.DreamTransport/) and paid 550 Baht for the trip from the airport to the Hotel.
On for hand Mr Dream told me that this price is most likely higher then what I would pay for a regular taxi. i have limited experience with cabby's in Thailand but each and every one tried to push to girly-places, so I thought using the service from a (straight)member of this gay board would protect me from the evil girls :colors: .

The car was OK nothing special about it, just a regular vehicle. The driver was a friendly, service minded Soldier who was trying to earn something extra for his wife and new born child, with driving a taxi etc. The driver did not complain about having to wait 1 hour extra due to my delayed airplane. After he paid the first police officer at the airport, we started our journey. We had some small talk and I told him I would meet my boyfriend in the hotel. He wanted to know how much money I would give him, I told him I would give him 200 B tip. "That makes me happy" he said, with him having his wife and small baby etc. Soon after that he asked me If I wanted to see some girls, since I am here on holiday and should have some "Boom Boom", I will get a big discount.
Luckily the car was pulled over by the police for speeding(?) before I could give my answer.
I voluntarily paid for the taxi, the two police tickets and his tip.
I would recommend this taxi service to others if one would ask me.

Hotel
The hotel is in a sidestreet Silom Road a 15 minute walk to the sky train, shopping mall and gay bars.
On arrival I got a free upgrade to a bigger room, without asking or so.
Staff in this hotel are very friendly, indeed. They did not mind I gave my bf a welcome kiss on his lips in the lobby.
I am not so much of a world traveler to comment on hotel rooms but..
The rooms are a bit older (like macaroni21 said) but this room was cosy and home like.
The bed was OK and SUPER big maybe 2,5 meters wide!
I stayed 2 nights there for about 25 euro/night (1200 Baht).
I would recommend it to others if one would ask me.

Only negative thing I can think of is the noisy Airco.

August 19th, 2009, 21:23
Thanks for the report. But could you fill us in on a few more details, so I know what to expect if I choose to stay there?

1. Did the rate include breakfast? If so, what was your opinion of the breakfast?

2. Was there wi-fi in the room? Internet computers downstairs? If they had and you used any of these, what were the charges?

3. Is there an in-room safe now?

4. Does the bathroom have a shower stall or a bathtub?

5. Are there international news channels on the TV?

6. Is there a desk for writing?

7. At night, is the room bright enough to read a book?

8. No problems with housekeeping and fresh towels daily?

Thanks.

Cees-Holland
August 19th, 2009, 23:22
Macaroni21 your are right, I should give more details (though I can never be as attentive as you are in your reports :)

Breakfast
The rate didn't included breakfast but on the last morning we had breakfast in the hotel anyway, and did not get charged. The Breakfast was a buffet and mediocre but sufficient, next time I would prefer to eat outside.

Internet
I can't tell anything about wi-fi or internet computers downstairs, my mind was somewhere else.

Safe
The room has a indoor safe, big enough to hold a "Netbook".

Bathroom
The bathroom is rather small but has a bathtub.

TV
The Samsung TV was big and new (No flatscreen though) with zillion channels including international channels. I was amazed that there was even a Dutch channel available. On the first night the weather outside was terrible and maybe the reason why the TV at one point only gave snow. Next day it worked again.

Desk
http://www.silomcityhotel.com/images/acc1.jpg
Actual this room had two writing places, left and right of the window (which had not much of a view), each with its own chair. Additionally the room had sitting place ( a round, wobbly table with two chairs)

Lighting
I can't recall the luminosity of the room but I do remember locking at some miniature street maps at night, the light was OK just my glasses weren't strong enough :)

Housekeeping
The room has a doorbell! I was so surprised and ashamed.
The water didn't go away in the bathroom sink, I noticed after checking in, so I asked if they could look at it. At one point I heard some electronic peep. Me picking up the telephone, nothing. Then thinking it was the hotel alarm clock.. It was house keeping at the door. I didn't see any cleaning lady's but the room was cleaned the next evening when we returned to the room. The hotel has a rule about the towels: dropping them in the bathtub means you want fresh ones.

Beachlover
August 20th, 2009, 12:05
Your driver got pulled over twice by police coming from the airport?...

August 20th, 2009, 12:57
Thanks, Cees-Holland,

Although my memory of my one-night stay is vague, from your description it sounds like they have upgraded the interior. 1200 baht for that is a good deal. I shall add it to my "Possibilities" list next time.

Cees-Holland
August 20th, 2009, 14:54
Your driver got pulled over twice by police coming from the airport?...
"Pulled over" is maybe not the correct word..

First time was at the airport (after driving 50 meters), I think he parked at wrong place or maybe he didn't have the correct permit to park there. The police wanted to see my passport and asked me questions like how much will you pay this driver, when did you order this taxi. etc.

The second time was on the Toll-way.

bao-bao
August 20th, 2009, 20:44
Taxi:
First of all. I used the services of Mr.DreamTransport and paid 550 Baht for the trip from the airport to the Hotel.

The car was OK nothing special about it, just a regular vehicle. The driver was a friendly, service minded Soldier who was trying to earn something extra for his wife and new born child, with driving a taxi etc. The driver did not complain about having to wait 1 hour extra due to my delayed airplane. After he paid the first police officer at the airport, we started our journey. We had some small talk and I told him I would meet my boyfriend in the hotel. He wanted to know how much money I would give him, I told him I would give him 200 B tip. "That makes me happy" he said, with him having his wife and small baby etc. Soon after that he asked me If I wanted to see some girls, since I am here on holiday and should have some "Boom Boom", I will get a big discount.
Luckily the car was pulled over by the police for speeding(?) before I could give my answer.
I voluntarily paid for the taxi, the two police tickets and his tip.
I would recommend this taxi service to others if one would ask me.
I certainly hope Mr.DreamTransport himself sees this post. After all the work he put into (repeatedly) promoting his service here I should think he'd want to know that this particular driver wasn't even at the level of a regular taxi driver.

Asking about his "tip" in advance was poor enough business manners, but suggesting a hooker stop (with Cees-Holland's luggage still in the trunk, for God's sake) was even further over the top.

Not slamming Mr. DT's business overall because this may well be an exception, but if so this driver needs a refresher on manners.

As for me, I'll stick with the known quantity of Mr. Toom's dependable service. Cees-Holland, if you want to try his drivers next time you can reach him at toom39@msn.com. He's quick to reply, reliable, priced fairly and you won't have to risk seeing any jewelry stores! :cheers:

Khor tose
August 20th, 2009, 21:25
I certainly hope Mr.DreamTransport himself sees this post. Asking about his "tip" in advance was poor enough business manners, but suggesting a hooker stop (with Cees-Holland's luggage still in the trunk, for God's sake) was even further over the top.

Mr DT, These are two very good points that BB is making. I also wonder why the passenger paid for the police stops. Is that an added charge for this service? If it is, I will take the bus.

Cees-Holland
August 20th, 2009, 21:45
I also wonder why the passenger paid for the police stops.

It was my own free will to pay for the "police stops". For us this few Baths are peanuts, but the driver would have lost his day earning. The driver was really an OK guy, and I don't think he was to blame for the police actions..

Khor tose
August 21st, 2009, 05:05
[quote="Khor tose":2vrs7756] I also wonder why the passenger paid for the police stops.

It was my own free will to pay for the "police stops". For us this few Baths are peanuts, but the driver would have lost his day earning. The driver was really an OK guy, and I don't think he was to blame for the police actions..[/quote:2vrs7756]

I understand that and I commend you, for it is obvious you are a very good man. Knowing what I know about the BIB (police), I am almost postive the driver was not at fault. However, you may not be aware that such extra charges are quite common in Thailand and it is the owner who should absorb this cost, not you or the driver.