PDA

View Full Version : Swimmers Beware

June 19th, 2009, 08:19
I've just returned from 7 lovely days in Phuket. My 3rd visit to Phuket, and 7th to the LOS. I spent most days reading and relaxing on the chairs in the gay area of Patong beach.

The weather was fine, however a little windy, and this brought up some waves on the beach which has previously always been quite calm.

On my first day while enjoying the warm water I underestimated how far out I was getting and eventually could no longer reach the sand with the feet. It was the afternoon, the tide was going out, and so was I! I did manage to swim back but it was a struggle. I had swallowed a generous amount of salt water and was exhausted.

Three days later, around the same time of day, there was some commotion around 50 meters to my right. It appeared someone in the water was in trouble. The Thais who ran the Jetski nearby immediately got in and threw him a life vest, but he didnтАЩt take. A couple of other Thais when got in and dragged him to the beach, then a stronger westerner carried him to where the sand was dry. He was unconscious. A large crowd gathered around then eventually two westerners started giving him CPR. It was at least 10 minutes before help arrived. IтАЩm not sure they were paramedics as such. They just put him on a stretcher and rushed him away. They didnтАЩt continue CPR. He didnтАЩt regain consciousness and his skin had turned grey. He wasn't an old man, probably around 40, and looked fit.

I believe there are no lifeguards on Patong beach, despite that large numbers of swimmers, and that drownings are frequent. The only place I have seen a life guard in Thailand is in Ko Samui, and he worked for the resort which was on the beach.

So, if you venture into the water be careful!

June 19th, 2009, 09:25
There are life guards on Phuket. All the beaches there are watched by Beach Guards from the Phuket Provincial Administration.

See here:

http://www.phuket.com/magazine/phuket-beach-people.htm

Smiles
June 19th, 2009, 09:35
The whole island of Phuket is subject to riptides regularly, and at certain times of the year they are much stronger than at other times. Nai Harn Beach (on the south tip of the island) for instance is well known for having a particularly strong (and deadly) riptide, and there are signs posted regarding that. Germans are swept away often at Nai Harn. :blackeye:

Standing out in the water aways at Patong Beach I can often remember thinking that the backward pull of the ocean was much stronger in general than at the beach in Hua Hin. Although I've never felt in trouble there, I can well imagine that in the wrong season, and not being a great swimmer anyway, I could be under the right circumstances.

Bob
June 19th, 2009, 09:39
Germans are swept away often at Nai Harn.

Perhaps the reason that one often spots Japanese whaling ships in the bay?

Beachlover
June 19th, 2009, 10:17
Thanks for the heads up coreyk.

A few months ago there was this article about safety in Phuket http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/south- ... 89377.html (http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/south-east-asia/thailand/the-dangers-of-phukets-beaches/2008/10/29/1224956089377.html)

CPR is good but not always effective. They really need a defibrillator on site... That would save a lot of lives. They are expensive though.

Educating tourists is a very good idea... but unfortunately, the beautiful atmosphere and inviting waters still mean many don't think the risks are serious.

June 19th, 2009, 10:45
On previous trips I stayed at the Holiday Inn and there was a thick folder in the room that included information on dangers such as parasailing and jet skis. It also warned of the dangers of swimming and the large number of drownings. The Holiday Inn is being renovated so this time I stayed at the Banthai (I wouldn't stay there again). This hotel had no such information.

During my stay I walked along the length of Patong beach a number of times. I wasn't looking but I didn't notice any life guards, and none attended this incident.

krobbie
June 19th, 2009, 11:23
All this talk of lifeguards at Patong beach. I have my doubts they exist or at beach eaxist outside high season. I have not seen a lifeguard there yet. I certainly see no flags to swim between. I suspect even if there were "life"guards they would be in name only.

I know there have been some come from New Zealand and Australia to teach lifesaving techniques to the Thai beach patrol on Phuket but I sincerely doubt any Thai sees this as a vocation. Just an observation.

Usually a patrolled beach is easy to spot. It is where all the people art swimming between the flags. It is simply not possible to patrol a whole beach anywhere as the rips and holes are changing constantly throughout the day, which is the same reason that the flagged area (swimming area) changes throughout the day.

Those who come from the Pacific region and have grown up with such errant and unpredictable beaches usually know to watch where they swim and how far out they go but even the most vigilant can come a cropper when mother nature has her way.

Patong is a chaotic beach anyway as the dividing line between what is an area for boats, jetskis, swimmers, sail boarders and kite surfers is at best, blurred. It's a wonder more aren't harmed or maimed. When I was there at Christmas there was no trouble but it does surprise me just how far and quick the tide comes in and out. The pitch/gradient of the beach itself is another reason for the gripping rips there. The shallower and more gradual the slope to the water the less likely the "rip".

Be ever vigilant. If there isn't full time life guards at the main tourist surt beaches, there certainly should be.

Perhaps it is just another instance of how highly we are thought of in Thailand. NOT! Us ... not our money.

Cheers,
krobbie

June 20th, 2009, 05:11
Actually one of the biggest dangers in Pattaya is getting ravaged by greedy, vicious sharks. What's more you don't even have to go into the water. Just buy a round of drinks at Boys Boys Boys.

mahjongguy
June 20th, 2009, 07:42
- During the entirety of low season there are red flags posted all along Patong Beach.

- Swimmers caught in riptides die because they exhaust themselves fighting the current. The solution is to swim parallel to the beach until you reach the end of the rip. This may result initially in being further out than where you began, but when you get to the end of (or a break in) the rip then you can just swim straight in.

June 20th, 2009, 08:07
- During the entirety of low season there are red flags posted all along Patong Beach.

I believe it's low season now. I didn't notice any red flags. Perhaps something there now could confirm?

- Swimmers caught in riptides die because they exhaust themselves fighting the current. The solution is to swim parallel to the beach until you reach the end of the rip. This may result initially in being further out than where you began, but when you get to the end of (or a break in) the rip then you can just swim straight in.

Swimming parallel to the beach is something I had drummed into me during swimming instuction, and what first came to mind. However, when you see the how big the bay is and you're in that situation you don't want to test that theory.

Beachlover
June 20th, 2009, 09:14
Yeah, swimming parallel is the way to go. If you are a strong swimmer you can try to swim at an angle (not directly into the beach) to get nearer or get out of the rip.

If I remember correctly, it's such a big bay with so many jetskis and other boats, someone's bound to pick you up at some stage right?

krobbie
June 20th, 2009, 09:27
... or just run right over you.

This little snippet is from the Connect Guest House web site:

Every beach on the west coast of Phuket offers excellent conditions for swimming and bathing. But please be aware that there sometimes during the monsoon season (April-October) are strong currents. Red flags tell you that the beach isn't safe for swimming. Ask the life guards if you are unsure. There are always parts of the beach that are more safe/dangerous. If you are caught in a strong current, do not swim against the current, try to get out of it. Swim along the beach instead.

Perhaps I am wrong and there really are life guards on duty. I just don't see a "presence" of such that I can recall.

I may well be wrong ... it wouldn't be a first. :colors:

June 20th, 2009, 09:45
Those who come from the Pacific region and have grown up with such errant and unpredictable beaches usually know to watch where they swim and how far out they go but even the most vigilant can come a cropper when mother nature has her way.....

Yes, San Francisco is known for its infamous rip-tides that claim a few people every year.
Rip tides are very obvious when you know what to look for.

I'm looking for a good video but haven't really found one yet.

This one has some good pics at about 2 min 30 sec:
[youtube:1wla53q2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvc5aUM4b8g[/youtube:1wla53q2]

TrongpaiExpat
June 20th, 2009, 15:20
Swim parallel to the shore, that's what I recall from the 16mm ed. films that I was shown when I went to high school. Nothing has changed, except call 911 on your cell phone.

I pretty sure it was shown just after a film like this:

[youtube:1fxygp1l]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSXVkBZmZsE[/youtube:1fxygp1l]

June 20th, 2009, 20:44
Rip tides are very obvious when you know what to look for.

As someone that doesn't live anywhere near an ocean, that was interesting stuff. Thanks.

stevehadders
June 24th, 2009, 23:46
If you enter the gay beach via the pathway by the Immigration Police you will notice on the beach a watchtower. Next to the watchtower is the Royal Thai Navy detachment . There are always a least a dozen men stationed there with 2 inflatables - their role is rescue. Now, how efficient they are is a different story - most of the time they are watching the TV in their building with none watching the beach - which probably explains the delay in help arriving.

I too experienced a rip tide on a beach up the coast from Patong, and it was quite scary - thought I was a goner! I am more cautious now!

June 25th, 2009, 16:17
If you enter the gay beach via the pathway by the Immigration Police you will notice on the beach a watchtower. Next to the watchtower is the Royal Thai Navy detachment . There are always a least a dozen men stationed there with 2 inflatables - their role is rescue.

Ironically the Royal Thai Navy detachment building is closed. The windows have plastic over them and there was no Navy to be seen. Just at the place the person drowned.