PDA

View Full Version : Flights from UK to Bangkok?

ChrisUK
April 5th, 2006, 05:22
I'm starting to plan my next trip to Thailand in October and am looking for help to decide the best way to get there.

My recent trips have been with EVA, which have been satisfactory most of the time, regarding price and convenience. However, my last two flights and a friend's experience last month has forced me to look around for other airlines. EVA consistently arrives late to Heathrow, causing difficulties with onward pre-booked coach travel, and both I and my friend on different flights have experienced food poisoning, possibly/probably due to the food served on board. I also notice that http://www.airline-network.co.uk/ indicates a steeply increased price of ┬г573 (from ┬г503 in March) for economy.

Looking at other available flights, I see Emirates at ┬г447 from Birmingham (changing at Dubai), but already unavailable for the return flight in December and what seems like a new airline "Etihad" at an incredible ┬г389 from Gatwick or ┬г425 from Heathrow (changing at Abu Dhabi). I still haven't ruled out EVA, especially as I have enough airmiles to upgrade on both outward and inbound journeys (if they have any space available on check-in) and their non-stop flight timings are good for me, if they can arrive on time. However, I'm thinking of trying either Emirates or Etihad and would appreciate any information others can give on their knowledge or experiences of both these airlines, but especially Etihad.

Incidentally, for those who haven't seen my reports of my 3-stage experiment on living in Thailand in the Resource Forum, they are now all installed in my new Blog: http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/weblog.php?w=25

April 5th, 2006, 05:52
I went with Thai Airways from Heathrow to BKK in December and returned in March. The fare was ┬г620 (more than you are looking at) but was well worth it.
I was permitted (and did) change the return flights.
The food was really good.
The seat pitch (in economy) was the best I have ever seen with any Airline. You couldnt actually reach the seat in front.
All departires and arrivals on time.
2 flights a day each way. One day and one night. All non stop.
I think you really do get what you pay for and after travelling the dreaded Phuket Air. I certainly would NEVER again travel a low cost airline that is not based in Europe.
I booked thru Dial a Flight, not direct with the Airline or on the web. Lot cheaper.
Gerefan

April 5th, 2006, 07:47
I must admit I was not too impressed with the deluxe service on my last trip with Eva, however, it was a little more spacious than other airlines and for the price, probably the same as Thai, and although Thai seats are fairly big (34), still not as big as Eva deluxe (38) or someone correct me if Im wrong.

With regard to late arrival at Heathrow or even on the return journey - I found this on my last trip both ways. However, give Eva their due, they did catch up on time going both ways, and ended up being only one hour late coming from Bkk to Heathrow, so that is not a major problem, unless they take off 5 or 6 hours or even 3 or 4 hours late, then they cannot pickup travel time.

April 5th, 2006, 13:39
[quote="ChrisUK"]
My recent trips have been with EVA, which have been satisfactory most of the time, regarding price and convenience. However, my last two flights and a friend's experience last month has forced me to look around for other airlines. EVA consistently arrives late to Heathrow, causing difficulties with onward pre-booked coach travel, and both I and my friend on different flights have experienced food poisoning, possibly/probably due to the food served on board. I also notice that http://www.airline-network.co.uk/ indicates a steeply increased price of ┬г573 (from ┬г503 in March) for economy.
quote]

Depending on whether or not you are prepared to pay the full cost at the time of booking there are a lot of good deals around with EVA if booked through a company similar to Travelbag.

We fly back to the UK on Sunday for the Easter break and return flights Bk/Lon which paying at the time of booking cost only ┬г1104 pax (Premium Laurel) ) a saving of ┬г395 on each ticket.

Our Christmas holiday flight (23rd December) booked a few weeks ago and paid at the time of booking was only ┬г1403 pax a saving of almost ┬г1000 on each ticket.

The only drawback with these offers is that the tickets are 100% non-refundable and no change of dates or re-routing permitted.
Similar deals are available in other classes and the savings appear to be comparable.

EVA timing suit us perfectly as with young kids the arrival times both into the UK and Bangkok are convenient and as for the food in all the years of flying EVA I personally have never experienced any problems.

April 5th, 2006, 14:37
Our Christmas holiday flight (23rd December) booked a few weeks ago and paid at the time of booking was only ┬г1403 pax a saving of almost ┬г1000 on each ticket.

For that price I go biz on swiz

pandorasbox-old
April 5th, 2006, 23:32
Can I suggest Qatar Airways.
The business class flight prices range from ┬г1069 to ┬г1213.

Great seats and excellent depart and return times.

Economy prices seem good also.

April 6th, 2006, 00:47
I think you're being a little unfair to EVA. I always choose them, finding the arrival time in Bkk convenient (it allows a quick shower, a meal In Sphinx and a drink in Balcony before a visit to a bar), the price (direct) competitive and the service charming.
I arrived back in LHR on Sunday about 45 minutes late, the result, we were told, of strong headwinds; we'd left on time. Usually, however, if it is late it is the result of traffic problems at LHR and the plane has up to then been on time.
These comments are based on four trips a year and I find that joining the EVA club allows me an upgrade from Deluxe to Business every two trips. One of these was on Sunday and I had a very comfortable flight.

billyhouston
April 6th, 2006, 04:34
I too use Airline Network and EVA. My recently purchased flight MAN-LHR-BKK in Evergreen, or Elite if you prefer, totalled ┬г825 for October out and December return. This is well up on Jan-March flights and now Airline Network are charging an additional percent or so for 'credit card fees'. So far I've never missed the last flight of the day to Manchester (BMI) but it has been a close run thing on occasion and twice in the last year the bags have failed to make it.

Used Premium Laurel last trip and decided it wasn't worth the money, so Elite it is. The biggest problem with the new 777s is the lack of free space to have a stroll. It's seats everywhere and nowhere to stretch your legs. All things considered the departure time from Bangkok is far more convenient than most other airlines, so EVA it is.

Billy

April 6th, 2006, 05:41
I really can't see why a business class bed doesn't seem better than a Premium Laurel seat at the same price. Of course to get that price I have to book well in advance and shop various consolidators e.g. Expedia, Opodo. I reckon I can find this price on most German speaking airlines from London and SAS. Strange co-incidence.

Next trip I'm paying half that on Swiss in "cattle class" just to see what it is like - I still get the biz lounge in Zurich and I may cash points for an upgrade on the way back. I wonder if I'll have to wear a cow bell in cattle class!

April 8th, 2006, 05:44
I usually try Lastminute.com for my flights.
Prices (cattle class) have ranged from about ┬г380 to ┬г500 return from Man-> BKK over the last 3 years or so. Airlines have included, Qatar, KLM, BA and Malaysian (that may have been Man -> KL with Air Asia connection to BKK). It's worth a look :alien:

wowpow
April 8th, 2006, 08:04
Most of my friends from the N ort of England travel visa Amsterdam is preference to Heathrow. Eva still have 747s an d low prices from Amsterdam and many prefer that planes Premium Economy to the new more expensive one on their new Heathrow-Bangkok 777s. Last June they were offering Amsterdam-Bangkok return on Premuim Economy atE500! Some friends prefer China Air or Qatar from Amsterdam.

I have booked through EVA a lot and liked them. BA are good but the flight goes to Sydney so on the reeturn journey you board a plane of sleeping people and there is a fragrance. Last Minute, Airline Network, Bridge-the-World and Travelbag often seem to have good fares.

Qatar do have a stopover in the Middle East but are making a fine reputation. Airlinequality.com have them as one of their three 5* airlines - the other two being Singapore and Cathay Pacific.

I think that many airlines do not offer any discounts or promotional rates until nearer the flight date than 6 months and often 3 months.

ChrisUK
April 11th, 2006, 04:04
Thanks to all for your comments, although I have to admit that Business Class is way beyond my budget.

I've answered my own question regarding Etihad Airlines by searching through Internet Explorer 6 browser and finding links to the website TeePee mentions. Having read the passenger comments there, I think I'll take Gerefan's advice that "you get what you pay for" and give them a miss, there seem to be too many opportunities for a troublesome journey for my liking. The following link goes straight to the forum on Etihad: http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/etihad.htm Of course, I had to look at the forum for EVA, with some rather unhappy passengers reflecting some of my own concerns. This website seems a mine of information, including the essential seat pitch information (note EVA economy down from 34" to 33"), and I'm grateful for the link.

On reflection, I'm thinking of giving EVA another chance, mainly because of the convenience of a non-stop flight and times which prevent me getting jet-lag, but it may be my last if I get a repeat of my last trip. Thai look good with prices only a bit above EVA after their increases.

April 11th, 2006, 09:29
DELETED

wowpow
April 11th, 2006, 12:03
I see that EVA have a website special until mid-June on Bangkok-Amsterdam for Economy E599 and Evergreen E799 Euros exc tax so about Baht 43,000 Evergreen return.