PDA

View Full Version : New Taxi Scam-BKK

TrongpaiExpat
June 12th, 2009, 01:20
New for me anyway. We just got in from the airport and went to the city taxi curbside desk. The driver was standing as usual in line for customers. We went to his parked taxi and loaded the luggage in the trunk, I pushed the trolley over to the side and got in after the BF. The taxi took off and as usual I made sure that the meter was on, it was not easy to see. When I finally got to see the meter it read 71B. We had only traveled a few KM. What he did was to turn on the meter when he first parked the taxi and was waiting in line for a customer. He said that is standard practice, he was waiting for us!

The BF and the driver argued over this scam and as usual they came to a Thai compromise and the driver would pay for one of the toll charges.

So, when getting in a taxi at the airport, take a look at the meter before you get in to see that it's not already running.

Rush, Yet Again
June 12th, 2009, 06:55
That is a new twist. Usually with me, over the last few years, the driver takes off and after the тАШwelcome to Thailand bit, asks for 400 - 500 baht. The tip off here is they reach back with open hand for your receipt which is then quickly pocketed.. I play dumb and drag the conversation out for as long as possible and then insist on using the meter . . . scam driver gets a few less baht and I get a bit of satisfaction. He also gets 0 for a tip then. And to be fair, the few drivers who are honest about the whole thing get a nice tip and I make sure to tell them it is because they are honest.

I also have the correct change ready for each toll booth . . . lets the driver know I just might know Bangkok well enough to avoid them taking me on an excursion ride to jack up the fare.

These scams really are not a good way to introduce Thailand to new visitors . . . but then again, maybe they serve as an early warning to the unsuspecting.

June 12th, 2009, 08:47
Automatically, as soon as they flip the switch, the meter will read 35baht. Not even having traveled 1 meter, thats the minimum. I don't know if he did to you as you said, anything is possible here. Most meter taxis I have been in, even when my missus and son are already in the car, they always wait until I am in and the doors are closed before they kick the meter.

Some people have bad experiences with the meter taxis, but most in my travels have always been very friendly and reasonable. I do know the airport is a very competitive place, as most of the drivers are hoping for the customers taking longer trips, such as to Hua Hin, or Pattaya, as opposed to Central BKK. More money for them and less fares they need for the day I suppose.

I don't know that the practice he said is standard, if it is or not at the airports, but even the meter taxis I've taken from the airports have always waited until the doors closed before kicking the meter. I don't like to be one of those people that say "I know these guys do this, or try to scam you like that". I do however travel by all means as some of my competition. And from my experiences, the meter taxis actually running the meters, are not out to screw you.

Art
June 12th, 2009, 10:37
I also have the correct change ready for each toll booth
Compared to dog training, taxi driver training is fairly easy.

most in my travels have always been very friendly and reasonable.

TrongpaiExpat
June 12th, 2009, 12:32
And from my experiences, the meter taxis actually running the meters, are not out to screw you.

Yes, I did not imply that this was a common scam and most are not out to cheat the unsuspecting visitor. These crooks are in the minority but they do seem to be in higher numbers at the airports along with the other usual hangouts, Patpong, Nana, Soi Cowboy, parked out side hotels, MBK taxi stand, any parked taxi at a high farang area.

I take about 500+ taxis a year in Bangkok and seldom do I encounter any problems. Years ago, taxi scams and over charges were a lot more common than now. When meters came out along with BTS and MRT they improved.

That receipt given to you at the airport is also a compliant form. Do not give it to the driver even if he asks for it.

June 12th, 2009, 13:52
Its good to see that people pickup on the little stuff like this though. Its kind of like drinking at a bar, running up a 4k baht tab, and them deciding to stiff you for one lousy beer.

There are people here that will do anything they can just to take that 1 extra baht off of you. IMO, if they are going to make a fair amount off of a customer, why try and milk it that little extra bit? I know the odds of a meter taxi driver getting referrals is next to none for future business, but the old adage what goes around comes around seems to come to mind.

June 13th, 2009, 11:13
....The BF and the driver argued over this scam and as usual they came to a Thai compromise and the driver would pay for one of the toll charges....

Thank The Gods for boyfriends! Mine own has saved me a few times..and gotten away with a sharp toungue a Farang would never have been able to use !

Lunchtime O'Booze
June 13th, 2009, 14:49
quite frankly..I go along with these scams as long as they aren't too over the top.

Thailand is a country of scams..there are scams within scams and no-one ever knows who is in the scam. Some are so inventive they should be rewarded for being so.

I'm quite sure you love your "b/f' but any scam he discovers usually means less money for him so his indignation is more about his loss..although I'm sure it's true love.

June 13th, 2009, 22:20
Some are so inventive they should be rewarded for being so.

I tend to share your attitude. I'd obviously be more critical if it's where I live.