PDA

View Full Version : No more!

April 5th, 2006, 05:13
He's gone!

I wish I understood Thai. I suppose I might have even shed a tear ...

Thaksin quits

"My reason for not accepting the post of prime minister is because this year is an auspicious year for the King, whose 60th anniversary on the throne is just 60 days away. I want all Thais to reunite."

Thaksin Shinawatra finally caved in. In a televised address that began at 8:30pm last night he announced his decision not to seek another term as prime minister.

The country, politically divided and unsure of its future following Sunday's election, was stunned.

During the address from Government House, Thaksin contained his emotions and asked for national reconciliation so the country could enjoy the 60th anniversary of His Majesty the King's ascension to the throne.

Thaksin's change of heart came after an audience with HM the King at about 5:30pm at Klai Kangwon Palace in Hua Hin.

Few observers expected a significant announcement after the meeting because Prommin Lertsuridej, the prime minister's secretary, hinted that it was simply a routine meeting between Thaksin and His Majesty.

But a Thai Rak Thai source said tersely that it was a "special audience" with the King.

Tension had spread across the country following the uncertain outcome of Sunday's election and Thaksin's insistence that he would continue to serve as prime minister, despite facing the apparent opposition of about half the electorate.

Sondhi Limthongkul, one of the core leader of the anti-Thaksin People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) said the alliance will still hold a demonstration on Friday but will then pause on the condition that the Thaksin system that the care taker premier himself presided over be dismantled.

"I'm still worried," said Sondhi, after meeting four other PAD leaders. "The party is the same. They'll still meet at [his] home and it's not different from Thaksin still being the prime minister."

Sondhi warned, however, that the protest might continue if the government continued to intimidate the media and curb people's rights to information, or if Thaksin tried to cling to power after this month.

On Monday, during an interview on Channel 11, Thaksin's tone bordered on belligerent and provocative.

However, yesterday he was composed and persuasive in his calls for national reconciliation.

With the opposition's electoral boycott, Thai Rak Thai won the election with 16 million votes, yet there were 10 million "no votes" and almost two million spoiled ballots, which represented protest votes.

The result has been seen by many as a demonstration that Thaksin and his party have failed to gain the necessary mandate to govern.

At Sanam Pao yesterday afternoon, before taking a helicopter to Hua Hin, Thaksin was greeted by a group military friends who wished him well amid rumours of a military reshuffle.

Thaksin relaxed at his resort home in Cha-am before he met HM the King.

As soon as Thaksin's meeting with the Monarch ended, rumours that a major announcement would be made began circulating. Thaksin's wife, Pojaman, and their two daughters, Pinthongta and Paetongtarn, went to greet him after his return from Hua Hin.

In his address carried through TV pool, Thaksin appeared ashen.

Before announcing he would not be able to serve as prime minister he apologised to the 16 million people who voted for his party.

"The situation in the country is precarious and we need to make haste to find reconciliation. In a conflict, one party may lose and the other may win. But the reality is that the whole nation will lose from this conflict," he said.

He added that this was an auspicious year, marking 60 years of the King's reign, when the world's royalty will attend the grand event in June.

"We have fewer than 60 days to prepare for this important ceremony. It does not bode well for the country if we can't end the conflict," Thaksin said.

Thaksin will serve as caretaker prime minister until Parliament chooses a replacement.

This leaves the date when he will finally step down a mystery because Sunday's election did not produce the 500 MPs required by the Constitution for Parliament to be convened.

Before his televised address Thaksin told his Cabinet: "I have to step down because otherwise Parliament cannot be convened."

"People will make a case out of [his remaining in power] to stop the House from convening," he said, referring to his opponents.

His decision left many of his supporters in tears.

But Thaksin insisted he would not disappear from the political scene and said he would remain as an MP and Thai Rak Thai leader.

He will continue to push for the implementation of new policies and protect key initiatives, such as the Bt30 healthcare scheme, the war against drugs, the campaign to eradicate poverty and the introduction of a mass transport system.

On Monday, Thaksin told the TV talk show he would fight on as prime minister. Although he did make some placatory remarks about national reconciliation, the premier insisted he would had to serve the 16 million voters who backed him.

Over the past three months, Thailand has been teetering on the edge of political disaster with the People's Alliance for Democracy campaigning for his exit from political life on allegations of corruption, cronyism and abuse of power.

Thousands have taken to the streets to demand his resignation and the country has been pushed to the limit in a climate of intense political polarisation.