PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question: Transportation from BKK airport to Pattaya

June 9th, 2009, 18:40
I bet this questions must have been asked a hundred times in this forum, and I would very much appreciate some of your inputs here. The idea of someone picking me up right at the airport is nice, and I dont need anything fancy just a safe car with lots of air-con. How much should I be looking to pay? Do you think I can arrange it in advance? Thank you very much in advance.

francois
June 9th, 2009, 19:10
Yes, your question has been asked frequently and a search may give some more detailed answers.

Yes, a car can be arranged in advance. Cost is about 1200 Thai Baht. A safe driver is another matter! Some are safe and some are risky.

June 9th, 2009, 20:20
no need to book in advance. just get a cab at the airport terminal. be sure to follow the signs to the oficial cab station and dont accept an offer from any walking touts.

June 9th, 2009, 20:46
How many times can this topic be covered?

June 9th, 2009, 21:34

Once per newbie. More if they are annoying.

Some of these threads bring comments from non-regulars so there's often something new.

DCbob
June 9th, 2009, 21:58

Many times is necessary because of the changing circumstances, and if you were coming for the first time, you would only be looking for the most up to date information available, because you would be arriving at an unknown area where nothing is familiar.
If you do not want to answer, then feel free to not do so.
If you have nothing to add, then do not add.
I for one give the total benefit to the new person; that way us old timers can feel that we are adding something to everything, not just to the offed boy.

June 9th, 2009, 22:01
23 posts and you're an oldtimer?

Besides, we discussed this very same topic no more than a week ago...how much could possibly have changed?

June 9th, 2009, 23:02

Most people lurk rather than posting witty one-liners. Consider the warm welcome that posters receive on here, it is hardly surprising.

DCbob
June 10th, 2009, 01:15

I read, I travel I come to Thailand.
I just do not post very much.
Posting does not make you old or new. Time does.

June 10th, 2009, 05:21
Hey thanks a million. I have heard BELL TRANSPORT elsewhere and thank you for reassuring. Since I will be flying in in the afternoon this time, I will sure take your advice. Thank you once again. :geek:

I can tell you I have been on ever kind of Transport there is to Pattaya, but now I tell people to go to the basement of the Airport, they call it the ground floor, EXIT 7, ask there for BELL TRANSPORT Rep.

200 baht they will take you to any Hotel in Pattaya and pick you up the same at your Apartment or Hotel, when you leave or failing that there is another BUS EXIT 8 116 baht, Stop at major roads along Sukhumvit Road, to Jomtien beach.

One and half hours door to door or there bouts.

VIP Luxury Bus Info Bell Transport at Airport + 66 (0) 863458442
VIP Pattaya Bus Terminal:_ to Airport only + 66 (0) 038370055

For pick up at your hotel ring at least 2 hours before you want to leave.

June 10th, 2009, 05:23

As many times as people still go to Pattaya and as long as there are new options available. :albino:

krobbie
June 10th, 2009, 08:04
I bet this questions must have been asked a hundred times in this forum, and I would very much appreciate some of your inputs here. The idea of someone picking me up right at the airport is nice, and I dont need anything fancy just a safe car with lots of air-con. How much should I be looking to pay? Do you think I can arrange it in advance? Thank you very much in advance.

Stocguy, there is a member on SGT that is called Mr.DreamTransport and as the name suggests, he has a transport company that does exactly what you need.

Look under Forum (above right) and you will see in the drop down menu and there is a members link. Find him there and send him a PM. I am sure he will get back to you soonest or you can send him email also. There is a link on his members info site.

Cheers
krobbie

June 10th, 2009, 08:19
there is a member on SGT that is called Mr.DreamTransport

You could be the first to offer a review. I will be using him but not going until Oct.

Wazza
June 10th, 2009, 09:09
I would reccommend any newbie to pre book a transfer from the airport. The metered Taxis I would not consider as most have no knowledge of Pattaya or Bangkok and expect you to navigate to the Hotel once on the outskirts of town.
I had the unfortunate experience of circling the Chong Nongsi BTS station in a taxi at 1-30am in search of Om Yim Lodge when I first stayed a few years back, this is despite having the map printed out from the website, the receptionist ultimately came out on to the road after I called, not the best start to a holiday.
I am looking forward to reading a review of Mr Dreams service and a site search will bring up any number of reccommendations including the arguments for and against paying a premium for the service of Image Limos complete with cold towel, bottled water and the Bangkok Post.

June 10th, 2009, 09:54
Image Limos complete with cold towel, bottled water and the Bangkok Post.

Accommodating drivers as well, by some reports.

June 10th, 2009, 09:57

They take it up the butt while negotiating the Bangkok-Chonburi Motorway? I'm there.

atri1666
June 10th, 2009, 10:02
Image Limos complete with cold towel, bottled water and the Bangkok Post.

I got the same with my company for 1200 baht! No need to pay around 2800 baht with "Image Limo"

June 11th, 2009, 05:17
We usually keep bottled water in all the cars. Whenever I am riding with a driver for the day, or in my 2 SUV's, keep a few sodas in there as well. Never thought about the cold towel, but at 7baht a pop, won't hurt for us to keep some in the coolers lol.

The BKK Post, that we generally do not keep in all the cars, our drivers are usually happy to fill you in on the local events as of late lol. If you have any requests for anything that you would like the drivers to have on your pickups, drinks, snacks, just let us know in your emails and we are happy to oblige. Any extras of course would be at local 7-11 rates, so no 50baht cokes or 100baht beers.

And for all of you guys that are coming in late, that plan on just getting to your hotel and crashing, please take the drivers up on the offer to stop at the rest stop along the way, so you can stock your mini-fridge at your hotel!!

yedo111
June 12th, 2009, 08:14
I always take the local aircon bus to Pattaya, its only 120 baht .

So that's 1000 baht saved already!

Yes Cheap Charlie is coming to town :cheers:

gra46
June 12th, 2009, 08:44

Besides, we discussed this very same topic no more than a week ago...how much could possibly have changed?

BUT U answer anything so it impossible to say to you shut the fuck up....

a447
June 12th, 2009, 15:16

Beach Bunny is obviously shocked to hear that someone actually has a life away from this board!

A safe driver is another matter! Some are safe and some are risky.

As I found out when I used Mr Toom's service. The driver was a proud member of the Redshirts and I used his taxi at the beginning of the demonstrations in Bangkok to go to Pattaya. He spent the whole time sending and receiving sms messages as he drove at breakneck speed, tailgating all the way. Everytime I asked him to stop using his mobile, he would but when yet another sms came through, he would be at it again. I would think twice before using his service again. I should have woken up the first time 3 years ago, when the driver couldn't fine the Ambiance Hotel. On the way back, she got lost along Suriwongse in Bangkok! i thought the drivers would at least be told to check out the routes! And not to use their mobiles when driving. Oh,... and not to tailgate. The bus is sounding like a better proposition.

Beachlover
June 12th, 2009, 19:08
Hey, what's the standard rate for BKK AIRPORT to Pattaya? Just wondering what you should offer (and not budge from) to the taxi driver. Is 900baht the norm?... or more/less? (Talking about standard meter taxis here..) How long does it take from airport to Pattaya?

I know Bangkok city to Pattaya is around 1,300 baht.

What about a taxi from Pattaya back to BKK AIRPORT?... Is it around 400-500?

June 13th, 2009, 01:51
Beachlover, the rate to Patts from the airport for us is 1,100baht for all SGT board members, and the return trip is 900baht. BKK city to Patts, is pretty close to dead on.

The cheapest rates that I have ever heard of ever in Thailand, are 100baht cheaper then those of my own company in each direction.

On fuel and tolls, it will cost almost any vehicle near 350-400, so the pickups are only putting a bit over 50 % of the money into the drivers pockets at our rates.

A meter taxi, running from BKK to Pattaya, they have flat rates in the vehicles. From the airport to Pattaya, most are 1,500 flat rate, and the return most are priced the same, as there is practically no waiting time involved for meter taxis, as opposed to a pre-arranged pickup. Using the meters, from the airport to Pattaya, I have paid 1,200baht, and from Pattaya to the airport, I have paid 850baht.

There are 3 main routes the drivers can take to get you from BKK to Pattaya, the Bangkok-Chonburi motorway, the Bang-na motorway, and of course the scenic route (aka minimum tolls). running the #7 to Pattaya is the fastest way, and takes about 1hr. 40 minutes at 120-130kmph. Add to that the 10-20 minutes through Pattaya traffic to get to your actual hotel. The #3 Bang-na motorway, takes about 2 hrs., and the side roads, take about 2 1/2 hrs. as traffic is heavier and slower speeds at max 90kmph.

A taxi from Central BKK to the airport and vice versa is more likely to be around 400-500 with tolls. The only way that you could do the trip to or from Pattaya at those prices, would be the buses.

So for a meter taxi, their advertised flat rates will be 1500 to Pattaya, and the return back to the airport. But, the meter taxis will negotiate these rates with you many times. If you go to the government taxi stand, you will be pre-printed a ticket with the flat rate on it, and there is no haggling at that stage.

Haggling rates, 1200 to Pattaya, and 1000 for the return. Those prices are realistic and you can probably get a meter taxi to agree to those prices. Just make sure they understand, no stops, and no changing cars, as well as all tolls.

I hope that helps you a bit mate. One of my uncles by marriage is a taxi driver, so before I bought my cars, I used to ride around in his all the time when we went grocery shopping lol. As well, there are 2 pink taxi companies. One of them is based on the Soi I live on, so me and my missus chat with the drivers on occasion. Sometimes looking for other drivers in their off time, should one of my driver get sick :pukeright:

To answer a447's reply, all of our drivers are given the routes and exact address of your destination as well as the hotel phone numbers if it is a hotel we are not used to going to, regardless of Pattaya or BKK. Since we have drivers that live in both BKK and Pattaya, we try to setup our pickups accordingly, sending drivers with intimate knowledge of BKK to BKK, and Pattaya to Pattaya, or wherever the location you choose. This is all assuming that you give your hotel info to us in your reservation request. Most of our drivers can find any hotel in either city, even those they are unfamiliar with. Worst case scenario is to have the hotel number handy, and the drivers will get exact location from the hotel staff.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with a private transport/taxi company, but please don't let that turn you off from all of us because of that. Of course its totally your opinion and I respect that as well, should you prefer the Bell buses.

Lunchtime O'Booze
June 13th, 2009, 14:40

these questions need to be asked all the time...as previously mentioned..situations change..clubs open and close..hotel standards slide..limo companies deteriorate..miximotosis suppliers go out of business etc ect blah blah blah..so question for Mr DreamTransport: what are your drivers like ??

this is the most important question and the great advantage of Image Limos (apart from those little touches like cold towels that make all the difference)..their drivers are friendly and SAFE ! and don't mind being told by a gentleman like me to take it easy on the pedal.

As it's my life in question(which is much valued by some others) I have no problem castigating a dreadful driver and sadly in Thailand it's more the norm than not. So far I've only encountered problems in Manila and New York where drivers pulled a knife and gun when O'Booze railed from the back seat where he meekly sat thereafter in silence and in fear..but it's all about THE DRIVER !!

does Mr Dream Transport have a website ?..if not why not ?

June 14th, 2009, 01:03
All of my drivers I have known for a few years. Some are family, and some are the drivers I used before I started the company. All of them have great senses of humor, excellent English skills.
They are very easy to get along with, and pretty much let you do as you wish in the car. I always liked riding in the front seat with the drivers when I took my rides. I just liked to see what was going on and get pics if I saw something photo worthy. Many drivers didn't like this, as when they were driving past their peers, a falang in the front seat with them? My drivers are fine with it, you can even start changing the radio and they'll help you find what channels you want.

I spend a lot of time on quality control. I am at the airport 1/2 of the week, jumping in for ride alongs with my various drivers. So I get to see first hand how they treat the customers. They always ask if you want to make a stop for the bathrooms or 7-11's, and will generally have an outgoing personality. They are very good at sensing when a customer is tired from his flight, and just wants to be left alone, and will respect the customers wishes. As for safety, I limit my drivers to a max of 4 customers per driver per day, even at 4 thats still an 8-10 hour day of driving and waiting. I have made the drives with my drivers doing marathon runs when we have had swells of people coming in, and I can tell you that these guys really do get worn out quickly.

We also do random drug-testing, sometimes during ride alongs I'll have my drivers stop at a clinic we use in Pattaya, to ensure they are not using energy boosting substances. As well, they are limited to a top speed of 130km, and thats in a 120km zone. I feel the extra time it takes to get there by going a little bit slower, is worth it in safety.

I do have someone building my website for me at the moment, its just a matter of getting the rest of the pics that we need, and choosing the domain name yet for maximum exposure. That will be along by the end of the month hopefully.

Beachlover
June 14th, 2009, 09:59
Thanks Mr Dream Transport, for the comprehensive reply.

It's interesting to see how you run this hire car business in Thailand.

1,100 for BKK airport to Pattaya sounds pretty reasonable for this service with all the safety/quality control/etc that you do. I think I remember Dodger saying he paid 800 or 900 or 1,000 for a meter taxi from the arrivals level... but can't remember what it was exactly.

For Pattaya going back to BKK I think the meter taxis will do this very cheaply for 400-600baht. Last time I paid a tout who had a stand (actually he was just sitting on a chair next to a taxi) 900 baht. I wasn't sure if he was the driver or just a tout, but I didn't care as I thought 900 was ok. It turns out the taxi driver only got 500 out of that 900. So I guess you can get the Pattaya to BKK run pretty cheap.

I always ride up the front in cabs if I'm alone... I can't understand why anyone would want to ride in the back...other than the tradition of customers/VIPs riding in the back... the view's crap and there's not as much leg room. You see much better in the front. I never had a driver unhappy with this... do they not like it?

Taxi drivers getting lost must be a nuisance... but I always have a quick at the map and have it in my memory. I usually guide the driver to wherever the hotel is. With Google Maps you can pretty much know your way around a place before you get there lol.

Beachlover
June 14th, 2009, 10:00
Thai drivers can be nuts.

Going to Hua Hin in a cab was slightly scary. The driver screamed down the highway averaging 170km/hr most of the way. He didn't speed up to 180km/hr because at a certain speed, the roof would start rattling like it was going to fly off. To add to that, the driver was very very gay and kept giggling and looking at me saying "han-sam.... you very han-sam hi hi hi"...

Coming back was only slightly better. On my way back to the hotel to get my bags I walked past a big black mercedes and asked the driver how much to go back to BKK. Turns out he had dropped off a customer and was going to return empty if he didn't find anyone... so he was happy with a small amount.

I felt much safer in the big German car. At first it seemed like he was driving at safe speeds. The speedometer didn't seem to go above 100km/hr. Then I realised it was rigged... it didn't feel like he was going 100km/hr. It felt more like 180-200km/hr. He was crazier than the first driver!

In another instance... a driver had several big Buddha ornaments on the dashboard. When he noticed me looking at the speedometer, he took one of the Buddhas and placed it in front of the indicator lol.

thrillbill
June 14th, 2009, 10:56
I can tell you I have been on ever kind of Transport there is to Pattaya, but now I tell people to go to the basement of the Airport, they call it the ground floor, EXIT 7, ask there for BELL TRANSPORT Rep.

200 baht they will take you to any Hotel in Pattaya and pick you up the same at your Apartment or Hotel, when you leave or failing that there is another BUS EXIT 8 116 baht, Stop at major roads along Sukhumvit Road, to Jomtien beach.

One and half hours door to door or there bouts.

VIP Luxury Bus Info Bell Transport at Airport + 66 (0) 863458442
VIP Pattaya Bus Terminal:_ to Airport only + 66 (0) 038370055

For pick up at your hotel ring at least 2 hours before you want to leave.

Leaving with Bell Transport from Pattaya is easy to figure out, but knowing the hours of departure from the airport is more of a challenge--it does not leave every hour. It is a transportation business with a lot of potential but does NOT advertise enough; doesn't seem to have a websight showing their times--- is clueless in how to reach its customers.

atri1666
June 14th, 2009, 11:10
Its not a challenge >>> only needs a look at the home page >>> for me easy to handle
http://www.belltravelservice.com/index.php

Beachlover
June 14th, 2009, 12:50
Maybe you didn't know they had a website before.

But looking at their website it seems they make everything super clear and easy!

June 16th, 2009, 13:29
There's a photo of a standee with Bell's schedule on my blog. See
Express bus from Suvarnabhumi airport to Pattaya (http://shamelessmack.wordpress.com/2008/11/03/express-bus-from-suvarnabhumi-airport-to-pattaya/)

I've used their service a few times, normally no problem. But on one occasion, Bell bus lost my booking (http://shamelessmack.wordpress.com/2008/12/18/bell-bus-lost-my-booking/)

Bell has a competitor, whose booking desk is located on the arrivals floor (whereas Bell's clerk, sans desk, bases himself/herself on the basement floor). See Government bus service to Pattaya (http://shamelessmack.wordpress.com/2009/05/13/government-bus-service-to-pattaya/)

If you're not starting from the airport, but from a hotel in Bangkok, the cheap options (other than hiring a personalised taxi or limousine) include the airconditioned public bus. See How to get from Bangkok to Pattaya (http://shamelessmack.wordpress.com/2009/06/16/how-to-get-from-bangkok-to-pattaya/). I've taken the public bus countless times over the years and except once many years ago, when the airconditioning broke down midway through the journey, I've had nothing to complain about.

No doubt, some of you may turn up your noses on buses and prefer to ride in style, but for those who think money is always worth saving if possibilities exist, I hope you find the information useful.

June 16th, 2009, 21:32
No doubt, some of you may turn up your noses on buses and prefer to ride in style, but for those who think money is always worth saving if possibilities exist, I hope you find the information useful.

Those were fantastic blog entries. Clear enough that a first time visitor shouldn't have a problem. You are quite an asset to the community.

Beachlover
June 16th, 2009, 23:11
Wow... that's a useful blog macaroni21.

I like the idea of a bus (cheaper probably safer on the highway lol)... looks like a good option for regular commuters.

I think in most cases I'd still get a cab because it's quicker and more convenient. e.g. If my flight arrives late and I want to be in my hotel room getting a massage as soon as possible!

Also, you get to be more whimsical about what time of the day you want to leave, if you decide to use a taxi... instead of being fixed to a time.

June 17th, 2009, 01:29
If my flight arrives late and I want to be in my hotel room getting a massage as soon as possible!

I have fantasized about some entrepreneur or two who might set up a business offering a van for airport transfers between the airport (it was Don Muang then) and Pattaya. The back of the van would be furnished like a boudoir. The driver would meet me at the airport, but waiting in the van would be a massage boy, and for the 90 to 120 minutes it takes to get to Pattaya, the ride in the back of the van would be sheer bliss.

Now, if anybody ever takes up this idea, I want a percentage!

RonanTheBarbarian
June 17th, 2009, 04:49
Now, if anybody ever takes up this idea, I want a percentage!

Er, i think Mr. DreamTransport got the patent in just ahead of you, Mack!

See this thread:

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/thinking-about-a-very-special-vip-pickup-want-your-input-t17815.html