View Full Version : Transit passengers thru BKK can now go sightseeing

lonelywombat
June 7th, 2009, 14:37
Sunday breaking news,
The Age

Bangkok offers in-transit travellers four-hour stopovers
Katrina Lobley
June 6, 2009

Passengers who find themselves cooling their heels at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport while waiting for a connecting flight can now escape the airport for a few hours. Starting this month, passengers on stopovers of less than 12 hours can sign up for a four-hour city tour.

Options include seeing the Grand Palace and Emerald Buddha, boating along the crazy canals (known as klongs), watching a cultural production at the Siam Niramit theatre or being pampered with a massage and spa.

Other tours include shopping, golf and seeing animal life (crocodile farm and aquarium). It's hoped the tours will not only encourage transit passengers to come back another time for a longer visit but inject much-needed funds into the city's tourism industry.

The chairman of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, Weerasak Kowsurat, says: "Certainly, the money they spend during this whirlwind transfer will go some way towards helping some of our travel and tourism enterprises, especially small- and medium-size companies, and keeping Thai people in jobs."

Tours, which can be booked at the Suvarnabhumi transfer hall, cost from 1850 baht ($68.45) to 6050 baht.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks like an opening for a massage parlor just outside the airport.

June 7th, 2009, 19:55
Now, you have taken 1-2 hours to get to your local airport, you spend at least 2 hours at the airport before checkin, then there is a, for argument sake a 7 hour flight, you arrive at BKK airport, and you offered to "spend your money" by going on a tour - then after the tour, which only applies if you are waiting at the airport for 12 hours or more, you get on another flight - wow, I'd need a week to get over that!!

June 7th, 2009, 22:32
then after the tour, which only applies if you are waiting at the airport for 12 hours or more

Where does it say that?

lonelywombat
June 8th, 2009, 10:57
White desire never fully reads a post before he replies.
The offer is for transit passengers with up to 12 hours not more.
Several years ago I had 8 hours in a waiting area when my connection was late. Would have jumped at the chance to get outside and do something, even just a ride in a bus.

Then there are those who would rather sit it out so they have something to complain about.

June 8th, 2009, 11:06
White Desire also claims an association with Singapore but appears ignorant of the fact that all the time I was living there Changi Airport offered the same opportunity.

June 8th, 2009, 12:03
Several years ago I had 8 hours in a waiting area when my connection was late. Would have jumped at the chance to get outside and do something, even just a ride in a bus.

So what was stopping you?

June 8th, 2009, 19:57
Why would anybody want to endure up to 90 Minutes at Arrivals Immigration followed by another potential 60 minutes for Departure Immigration.

Relax get a Day Room AirSide at Louis Tavern and Nice Meal at The Mango Tree

June 8th, 2009, 20:02
Why would anybody want to endure up to 90 Minutes at Arrivals Immigration followed by another potential 60 minutes for Departure Immigration.

For real? I've never spent more than a couple minutes in line.

pyro
June 8th, 2009, 21:23
My experiences have been similar to yours Bunny, I usually only spend a few minutes at immigration and have never been stopped at customs.

June 9th, 2009, 01:07
Err,....four hours isn't enough to do all the other cultural attractions in BKK justice..... :idea:

A sightseeing tour down soi duangthawee is a better way to spend such a short period of time.

June 10th, 2009, 07:31

Then there are those who would rather sit it out so they have something to complain about.

"Never" ughh - being a busy boy I sometimes skim over things, I can power read you know?

You spend too much time on this board!!

June 10th, 2009, 07:34
White Desire also claims an association with Singapore but appears ignorant of the fact that all the time I was living there Changi Airport offered the same opportunity.

"claims" - what you trying to say Curious?? Should I know "everything"!!

lonelywombat
June 11th, 2009, 07:23

"Never" ughh - being a busy boy I sometimes skim over things, I can power read you know?

You spend too much time on this board!!

What is the value of power reading if you get it totally wrong. I would hate to have you as my business adviser.

giggsy
June 11th, 2009, 07:48
What is the value of power reading if you get it totally wrong. I would hate to have you as my business adviser.

my advice would be use "mild green fairy liquid"

June 11th, 2009, 07:55

A business adviser, now why would you want one of them!!