PDA

View Full Version : Thaksin awk pai lewh------he's out...

DJB0Y-old
April 4th, 2006, 20:50
8:45pm Bangkok--

This is the news many of us have been waiting for a long time.

This menace has finally agreed to step down. After a meeting with His Majesty late today in Hua Hin, Thaksin went on TV to announce he will not be Prime Minister.

They'll be dancing in the streets shortly.

Now, maybe we can get back to the good old days in Thailand.

DJ

wowpow
April 4th, 2006, 20:59
BREAKING NEWS
I will not accept post of premier in the next government : Thaksin

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced on Tuesday that he will not take premiership in the next government. He said his decision is aimed at restoring unity in the country.

He apologised to 16 million people who voted for him in the April 12 election.

A main reason of his decision is that the country is celebrating HM the King's 60th anniversary on the throne, Thaksin said.

However he will remain in the position as caretaker prime minister until the Parliament select the new prime minister.

--The Nation 2006-04-04

via www.thaivisa.com (http://www.thaivisa.com)

Mi Cow Chai-old
April 4th, 2006, 21:05
Don't be too quick to celebrate. Let's see what happens next. The next one could be worse.

Surfcrest
April 4th, 2006, 21:21
Thaksin will not resign

PM ready to suspend political career if all conflicting parties end movement

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Monday night reiterated he was ready to suspend his political career if all conflicting parties agreed to end their movement.

тАЬIтАЩm ready to have a temporary break in politics if former opposition leader Abhisit Vejajiva is willing to participate in the next general election, Maj. Gen Chamlong Srimuang to stay back at his wat (temple) and Sondhi Limthongkul to return to live a life in his business,тАЭ said Mr. Thaksin at the Krong Stanakarn (Situation Analysis) News Talk on Television Channel 11.

Maj. Gen Chamlong and Mr. Sondhi are core members of the PeopleтАЩs Alliance for Democracy, a coalition campaigning for anti-Thaksin demonstrations.

To adhere to the democratic rule, however, he said, his successor must come from his Thai-Rak-Thai Party, which won the majority of votes in the April 2 snap election.

Asked who he thought is suitable to take his post, he said there are four TRT members that could perform the duty.

One of them is former House speaker Bhokin Palakul, who is suitable for implementing the political reform process, and another is Caretaker Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister Somkid Jatusripital, who is suitable to become his success if the countryтАЩs economic woes needed to be urgently addressed.

However, he refused to name another two persons, who are qualified for the premiership.

Mr. Thaksin claimed victory for the snap election, saying his party won up to 16 million votes against the number of тАЬno votesтАЩтАЩ ballots at around 10 million.

тАЬShould I have to resign, I must seek opinions of 16 million people who vote for me as well,тАЭ he said.

He added he planned to propose the so-called Unity Committee comprising representatives from all conflicting parties including ex-premier, former chief judge of the Supreme Court, former Parliament president or former rector of a state university.

The committee will take proposed approaches from parties concerned to consider and screen to find the effective way to solve conflicts.

тАЬShould all parties agree with the proposed ways, I will follow. I am willing to resign if that can really help build the unity of people in the country,тАЩтАЩ he said.

--TNA 2006-04-04

and

BANGKOK POST BREAKING NEWS: Thaksin to stay PM - for now

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra indicated he will stay in office for now.

In a televised interview, Mr Thaksin called for the formation of a body similar to a council of respected elders - former prime ministers and other people loyal to Thailand - to debate reform and how to achieve national reconciliation.

If such a group can be formed, and advises him to step down, said Mr Thaksin, then he will.

wowpow
April 4th, 2006, 21:36
"Breaking news on political crisi

Thaksin: ''I will not accept premiership''

Caretaker prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced on TV pool Tuesday night at 8.30 p.m. that he will not accept premiership in the upcoming formation of the government after the election is completed.

He said he wants to keep peace in the country which is celebrating HM the King's 60 years on the throne.

"This year is an auspicious year for HM the King, whose 60th anniversary on the throne is just 60 days away," Thaksin said.

He will remain caretaker prime minister until the Parliament selects the new prime minister and will remain a member of parliament and the Thai Rak Thai party leader. ''I would like to thank 28 million people who came to the poll and the 16 million who voted for him and his Thai Rak Thai party,'' he said. Thaksin made such announcement after having an audience with His Majesty the King Tuesday afternoon at Klaikangvol Palace in the upper southern province of Prachuap Khiri Khan.

Such announcement came only two days after the April 2 snap election, with Mr. Thaksin's TRT Party winning 16 million votes against around 10 million "No Vote"--a proportion of voters who do not support Mr. Thaksin and his TRT Party.

But the new government cannot be formed yet because a second round of election is needed on 38 constituencies where 38 one-horse race candidates failed to have 20% of the votes on April 2 snap election. The second round of election for 38 constituencies will be held on April 23."

Bangkok Post 20.54 hrs Tuesday 4th April 2006

bucknaway
April 4th, 2006, 23:32
I am only a visitor so I wonder what this means to the "Social Order" campaign??

Sorry guys.. that is all I care about here :blackeye:

April 5th, 2006, 03:21
BuckN, as far as I can tell the Thai Rak Thai party is still in total power. It is only Thaksin that is gone. Given that, I wouldn't expect any change at all on the social order front in the near future. Also, I also doubt that if one of the opposition parties gains power eventually, that changing the social order laws are a big priority on their agenda.

April 5th, 2006, 03:36
Thaksin's party is still in control and there may well be a dutiful resignation followed by a tearful.."oh if you really insist.."swift return ala Mahatir.

TIT..anything is possible :alien:

colmx
April 5th, 2006, 04:02
Lets all hope that one of the names that Thaksin wouldn't reveal as his potential successor is his old Buddy former interior minster Purachi....

For those of you who don't remember it was him that led (started?) the Social order campaign!

wowpow
April 5th, 2006, 07:08
"Thaksin won't seek third term
Prime minister arrives at Government House with tears in his eyes after audience with His Majesty the King

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra bowed out of the political battle last night, declaring in a nationwide telecast that he would not form the next government. ''I will not to accept the prime ministership when the new parliament convenes in 30 days,'' he said. ''I will remain as caretaker prime minister until there is a new parliament and government,'' he added.

With what he claims amounted to 16 million votes, Mr Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai easily won the election on Sunday, and the House of Representatives would normally have nominated him prime minister at its first session. But since by-elections have to be held in 38 constituencies it remained unclear when Parliament could convene for the nomination, and how long he would remain caretaker prime minister.

Mr Thaksin cited the need to restore national unity for the celebration of His Majesty the King's 60th anniversary on the throne in June as a main reason. He also spoke of the positive response from the People's Alliance for Democracy and opposition parties to his offer to resign, made on Monday night during the Krong Sathanakarn programme on Channel 11, if they ended their protest and boycott of the elections. PAD yesterday morning had expressed a willingness to call off Friday's rally if Mr Thaksin resigned. At about the same time, the opposition parties said they would join the election if he quit now.
Opposition party members welcomed the caretaker prime minister's announcement. But the PAD had reservations. After a meeting with four other core leaders, Sondhi Limthongkul said the alliance was only 25% satisfied. The alliance would go ahead with a rally on Friday that would focus on the Election Commission's mishandling of the election on Sunday. The alliance would only disband permanently if Mr Thaksin resigned.

If he did not do so by the end of the month, and continued to dominate the next government through proxies, the PAD would regroup and resume demonstrations. The PAD had a duty to resist policies such as negotiating free trade agreements and mega-projects which the government initiated. Maj-Gen Chamlong Srimuang, another PAD leader, declared victory for PAD's marathon demonstration which lasted 34 days and 34 nights. ''If we didn't join forces, there would be no today. This shows that ordinary people like us can solve the crisis rocking the country,'' Maj-Gen Chamlong said.

Somsak Prisanananthakul, deputy Chart Thai leader, commended Mr Thaksin's ''spirit'' of sacrifice. Chart Thai looked forward to political reform, constitutional changes so that all four main parties could contest the next elections. Mahachon party leader Maj-Gen Sanan Kachornprasart also commended Mr Thaksin. Democrat adviser Banyat Bantadtan said Mr Thaksin's decision would help reduce the political temperature . Mr Thaksin made the announcement from Government House after an audience with the King in Klai Kangwon Palace in Prachuap Khiri Khan.

''But I seriously need to apologise to the 16 million people who voted for me to be prime minister.'' Mr Thaksin recalled the King's warning after the May 1992 uprising that attempts by rival parties to defeat one another would only lead to the defeat of the country as a whole. ''The fellows who love me have expressed themselves in the election. Those who are dissatisfied with me have expressed themselves through abstention. The PAD and the opposition have expressed themselves. So it's time for all of us to express in unity our loyalty for the King,'' Mr Thaksin said.

He said he was taking a step back by refusing to form the next government but under article 215 of the constitution would remain caretaker until the new prime minister is found. But he stressed that as the Thai Rak Thai leader, he would push for the continuation of poverty-reduction schemes, the 30-baht medical care, drugs suppression, and mass transit projects. ''I will visit people as a representative and as a former prime minister who is concerned about them,'' he said. Mr Thaksin insisted that he had done his best in the past five years as the prime minister and that he never had any ill intention toward the nation. He promised he would explain all the controversies around him if he gets the chance.

''Our children must grow. There will be no use for a handful of grown-ups to try to defeat one another,'' he said, before ending his television appearance that last about 15 minutes.

Mr Thaksin made the announcement after an audience with His Majesty the King at Klai Kangwon Palace in Prachuap Khiri Khan. He arrived at Government House reportedly with tears in his eyes together with his wife Khunying Potjaman and his two daughters. Mr Thaksin spoke to the nation from the hall of the Thai Khoo Fa building in Government House.

Before the live telecast, he called a meeting with several ministers including his deputy and Commerce Minister Somkid Jatusripitak, Agriculture Minister Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan, Labour Minister Somsak Thepsuthin and Deputy Public Health Minister Anuthin Charnveerakul.

After his announcement, he went to his office for about ten minutes and returned downstairs without replying to reporters who asked him to name his successor. Mr Thaksin drove his luxurious sedan and brought his family to their residence in Soi Charan Sanitwong 69 road." Bangkok Post

================================================== ========================
Thaksin quits

"My reason for not accepting the post of prime minister is because this year is an auspicious year for the King, whose 60th anniversary on the throne is just 60 days away. I want all Thais to reunite."

Thaksin Shinawatra finally caved in. In a televised address that began at 8:30pm last night he announced his decision not to seek another term as prime minister. The country, politically divided and unsure of its future following Sunday's election, was stunned. During the address from Government House, Thaksin contained his emotions and asked for national reconciliation so the country could enjoy the 60th anniversary of His Majesty the King's ascension to the throne.

Thaksin's change of heart came after an audience with HM the King at about 5:30pm at Klai Kangwon Palace in Hua Hin. Few observers expected a significant announcement after the meeting because Prommin Lertsuridej, the prime minister's secretary, hinted that it was simply a routine meeting between Thaksin and His Majesty. But a Thai Rak Thai source said tersely that it was a "special audience" with the King.

Tension had spread across the country following the uncertain outcome of Sunday's election and Thaksin's insistence that he would continue to serve as prime minister, despite facing the apparent opposition of about half the electorate.

Sondhi Limthongkul, one of the core leader of the anti-Thaksin People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) said the alliance will still hold a demonstration on Friday but will then pause on the condition that the Thaksin system that the care taker premier himself presided over be dismantled. "I'm still worried," said Sondhi, after meeting four other PAD leaders. "The party is the same. They'll still meet at [his] home and it's not different from Thaksin still being the prime minister." Sondhi warned, however, that the protest might continue if the government continued to intimidate the media and curb people's rights to information, or if Thaksin tried to cling to power after this month.

On Monday, during an interview on Channel 11, Thaksin's tone bordered on belligerent and provocative. However, yesterday he was composed and persuasive in his calls for national reconciliation. With the opposition's electoral boycott, Thai Rak Thai won the election with 16 million votes, yet there were 10 million "no votes" and almost two million spoiled ballots, which represented protest votes.

The result has been seen by many as a demonstration that Thaksin and his party have failed to gain the necessary mandate to govern.

At Sanam Pao yesterday afternoon, before taking a helicopter to Hua Hin, Thaksin was greeted by a group military friends who wished him well amid rumours of a military reshuffle. Thaksin relaxed at his resort home in Cha-am before he met HM the King. As soon as Thaksin's meeting with the Monarch ended, rumours that a major announcement would be made began circulating. Thaksin's wife, Pojaman, and their two daughters, Pinthongta and Paetongtarn, went to greet him after his return from Hua Hin.

In his address carried through TV pool, Thaksin appeared ashen. Before announcing he would not be able to serve as prime minister he apologised to the 16 million people who voted for his party. "The situation in the country is precarious and we need to make haste to find reconciliation. In a conflict, one party may lose and the other may win. But the reality is that the whole nation will lose from this conflict," he said. He added that this was an auspicious year, marking 60 years of the King's reign, when the world's royalty will attend the grand event in June. "We have fewer than 60 days to prepare for this important ceremony. It does not bode well for the country if we can't end the conflict," Thaksin said.

Thaksin will serve as caretaker prime minister until Parliament chooses a replacement. This leaves the date when he will finally step down a mystery because Sunday's election did not produce the 500 MPs required by the Constitution for Parliament to be convened.

Before his televised address Thaksin told his Cabinet: "I have to step down because otherwise Parliament cannot be convened." "People will make a case out of [his remaining in power] to stop the House from convening," he said, referring to his opponents. His decision left many of his supporters in tears. But Thaksin insisted he would not disappear from the political scene and said he would remain as an MP and Thai Rak Thai leader.

He will continue to push for the implementation of new policies and protect key initiatives, such as the Bt30 healthcare scheme, the war against drugs, the campaign to eradicate poverty and the introduction of a mass transport system.

On Monday, Thaksin told the TV talk show he would fight on as prime minister. Although he did make some placatory remarks about national reconciliation, the premier insisted he would had to serve the 16 million voters who backed him. Over the past three months, Thailand has been teetering on the edge of political disaster with the People's Alliance for Democracy campaigning for his exit from political life on allegations of corruption, cronyism and abuse of power. Thousands have taken to the streets to demand his resignation and the country has been pushed to the limit in a climate of intense political polarisation."

Tha Nation

April 5th, 2006, 07:22
Thaksin will be trying (or has) to broker a deal whereby he is not prosecuted for corruption should he step down. Greedy sod, I think the fun is just beginning. His final push came from the police and military who would not stand firmly behind him?

April 5th, 2006, 08:38
What we might find out about his audience with the man yesterday !!!

2006 could be the year that Thailand showed America how to do it. Keep you fingers crossed!

April 5th, 2006, 09:24
As far as Thaksin's exit, most of us (including me) wished it, so now we will see if we have been careful in what we wish for.

elephantspike
April 5th, 2006, 09:51
I had to make two deletions and one edit here. Sorry, guys. There are certain institutions that are held sacred by all Thais, regardless of their political affiliations. Let us please respect that in this discourse on Thai politics. Please see the posting Guidelines for further info:

Posting Guidelines (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/about6259.html)

Thanks.

April 5th, 2006, 10:19
I didn't see any disrespect to the true blue, is the very word associated with mere trashy gay Thai lover mortals like ourselves considered disrespect? Moderator I personally hold us in a much higher regard than that, I would have thought you did as well. All respects.
Cedric

April 5th, 2006, 22:42
It was a post about me..Edith's up to her tricks again and referred to me as .."that old slag Pearl"..and I just won't have it How dare she call me old !!..compared to some in this town I'm a spring chicken.
:flower:

April 6th, 2006, 07:28
Long live king ******** ********* . May he champion the causes of conservation for the rest of his glorious reign.

elephantspike
April 6th, 2006, 09:30
Yes you can say his name, too. You just can't be disrespectful about it (or sarcastic).

April 6th, 2006, 12:25
Mod I was not disrespectful about or to the King. I merely stated that he could strip the prime minister of his ill-gotten gains and re-direct them to a conservation project of his choosing. As the king is quite passionately involved in the conservation of Thailand's natural recourses, I also dont consider this a sarcastic suggestion.
Regards,

Cedric :flower: