PDA

View Full Version : Pattaya notes from my trip

June 6th, 2009, 11:10
No sex notes in this one ....

Looks like View Talay 7 has topped out, much to the chagrin of the folks in Jomtien Towers.

The new Central dept store is very nice...but empty of shoppers. It has a nice theater and bowling alley and the chain restraunts are ok. But the stores tend to high end and are only attractive to Asian (read Chinese) shoppers.

A lot of construction work going on Thappraya road. (Jomtien to Pattaya road)

If anyone wants an adventure go walk along the road past Pattaya Park in Jomtien all the way to the end. The whole section seems to be abandoned. There is a big hotel, the Adriatic, that could be straight out of "The Shining". I understanbd that this is a "Russian Zone" but to me it seems more like a Ghost Town Zone.

BEWARE! The Aythaya Bank ATM by the 7-11 (Jomtien). Even though they don't have the 150 bhat atm fee the do charge a hefty 3% on their exchange rate! And the frustration is they do ask you up front if you agree to their rate. I think most of us on vacation don't have any idea of the going rate so we say OK naturally. They were giving me 33.05 per $ when the going rate was over 34. Didn't figure it out till I was back home.

June 6th, 2009, 19:49
They were giving me 33.05 per $ when the going rate was over 34. Didn't figure it out till I was back home.

I reserved a hotel room last week and my Visa card gave me 31.07. Pretty bad. I'm still not sure what my best approach will be for converting currency.

Smiles
June 6th, 2009, 19:55
" ... I'm still not sure what my best approach will be for converting currency ... "
The old fashioned way: travellers cheque

If you're staying for a longer time, or if you intend on coming back to Thailand regularly . . . open up a Thai bank account, deposit a lump sum (again, using high denomination TC's), then use the ATM card they give you for your withdrawals.

June 6th, 2009, 20:01
They were giving me 33.05 per $ when the going rate was over 34. Didn't figure it out till I was back home.
I reserved a hotel room last week and my Visa card gave me 31.07. Pretty bad. I'm still not sure what my best approach will be for converting currency.

Cash & when that runs out, pay the ATM fee.

June 6th, 2009, 20:49

Thanks, that is what I was planning. I figured I'd get a small amount of baht before I leave and traveler's checks for the remainder. I assume that the rates at Swampy are worse than I can find elsewhere so bringing enough baht to get through the first day might make sense.

June 7th, 2009, 01:28
I figured I'd get a small amount of baht before I leave and traveler's checks for the remainder. I assume that the rates at Swampy are worse than I can find elsewhere so bringing enough baht to get through the first day might make sense.

Wrong assumption again - you're starting to make a habit of this!

The rate you will get outside Thailand will almost certainly be worse than any rate you will be offered here (subject, of course, to exchange rate fluctuations) due to the use of offshore and onshore rates (although the difference varies). The rate at the banks at the airport (I have never heard anyone who has used the airport call it "Swampy", though I presume that is what you are referring to) will be the same as the rate at the banks elsewhere in Thailand.

I agree with Smiles - travellers cheques are the best and simplest way, as unlike cash they are refundable if lost/stolen. You may, however, find that different banks (and even different branches of the same bank) will have different regulations about whether or not you can open an account with a Tourist visa; if you do I would recommend trying Kasikorn bank at either Lotus (South Pattaya) or Big C (North Pattaya) shopping centres, as these banks are open until 7PM, 6 days a week, and you have slightly more chance of being understood in English.

June 7th, 2009, 04:03
The new Central dept store is very nice...but empty of shoppers. It has a nice theater and bowling alley and the chain restraunts are ok.

June 7th, 2009, 05:44

You complain when I state something as a fact and now you're complaining when I qualify comments with the word "assumption." I'm starting to think you are a twit.

it "Swampy", though I presume that is what you are referring to

That's what that call it on Thai visa. I can't spell it so I'm sure not going to try to pronounce it, even in my head.

Smiles
June 7th, 2009, 05:57
Thanks, that is what I was planning. I figured I'd get a small amount of baht before I leave and traveler's checks for the remainder. I assume that the rates at Swampy are worse than I can find elsewhere so bringing enough baht to get through the first day might make sense.
No, the rates for buying Thai Baht at your home bank will be the worst you'll ever find. The rates for cashing a travellers cheque at the airport may well be slightly higher than downtown, but it's really quite insignificant.

Gone Fishing's replies have somewhat of a board reputation for being, well, somewhat on the anal side. Regularly.
But he knows what he's talking about more often than not when it's a factual issue 'about Thailand'. Give him some slack on the Gentle Side.

The Bangkok Airport ( Suvarnabhumi ) is pronounced phonetically: "Soo wun a poom" (accent on the "poom")

June 7th, 2009, 06:33
Give him some slack on the Gentle Side.

I consider twit an affectionate retort.

He's disrespectful to everyone, so I don't feel special in that regard, but that doesn't mean I'm going to ignore it.

June 7th, 2009, 11:00
The Bangkok Airport ( Suvarnabhumi ) is pronounced phonetically: "Soo wun a poom" (accent on the "poom")

Wrong. All syllables receive equal emphasis.

Smiles
June 7th, 2009, 16:31
Pay no attention to idiots and/or board trolls. Rabbit Ears is ~ as usual ~ trolling now. :cheers:
Accent on last syllable.

June 7th, 2009, 18:43
Pay no attention to idiots and/or board trolls. Rabbit Ears is ~ as usual ~ trolling now. :cheers:
Accent on last syllable.

WRONG.

The last syllable is LONGER than the others but it receives EQUAL emphasis. Trust me.

June 7th, 2009, 22:44
Accent on last syllable.

hehehe. I love this place.

June 8th, 2009, 11:44
Accent on last syllable.

hehehe. I love this place.

Oh Honey! If you can put up with Fishing, Rabbit AND Smiles you'll do just fine here!

So far my best bet for exchane rates has been using my Citibank account at Citibank in Bangkok. Alas, not an option in Pattaya.
The only reason I mentioned Bank of Ayuttaya is that is was being pushed as a way to avoid the 150 Bhat fee. But as I found, there was a catch.

June 8th, 2009, 23:58

You complain when I state something as a fact and now you're complaining when I qualify comments with the word "assumption."

Not complaining at all - just observing rather wryly - I am glad you don't feel special!

.....and Smiles, I am flattered. I've always pronounced it "airport" myself, with equal emphasis on both syllables.