PDA

View Full Version : Best rate to change AU $ to Baht

donald1
June 3rd, 2009, 16:23
Hi guys! This will be my first visit back to Thailand as an Ozzie. I used to come from the states and had no problem changing currency.
Do the Currency Exchange places buy AU$? If not the exchange rate between AU$ & US$ would be quite a loss. OR should I use an ATM card for money? What do banks charge for the transaction?
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

If anyone is in Thailand now, what is the exchange rate at the booths?

June 3rd, 2009, 16:33
You will have no problem changing Ozzie dollars at exchange booths.

June 3rd, 2009, 17:18
The Oz dollar is currently on the up against the baht at approximately 26bt. This morning an Oz friend of mine was casing some of the banks/exchange booths along the Jomtien beach front and found that the Kasikorn was offering the best rate at about 50 satang more than the others. But this could change from day to day.

If you use your ATM card you will pay an immediate flat fee of 150 baht on the transaction plus whatever your own bank eventually charges. To minimise transaction costs it's better to make one large transaction than several small ones. You'll have to work out the fine details when you get here and shop around.

June 3rd, 2009, 19:35
If you use your ATM card you will pay an immediate flat fee of 150 baht on the transaction plus whatever your own bank eventually charges.

I received 33:1 USD on a recent credit card reservation. I was afraid they'd gouge me worse but was pleasantly surprised.

The ATM fees are rough. 150 baht on that end and then my bank will charge another US $2.50 on their end. Traveler's checks are sounding less expensive to me once I factor in my daily ATM withdrawal limit.