PDA

View Full Version : Any Experience with Air China BKK-JFK

1PR4BKK
June 3rd, 2009, 00:17
Has anyone ever flown Air China for the route BKK-JFK either way? The fare is so much less than other carriers. Their website does not provide much explanation on what is offered onboard or even the configuration of the economy section.

Is there any comparison to other more familiar airlines? So far, I have flown Thai Airways, Korean Airlines, Cathay Pacific to Thailand and even Malaysia Airlines to Indonesia. Is Air China comparable to any of those carriers?

I am hoping to hear about first experiences or reviews about this airlines.

Thanks...

June 3rd, 2009, 07:32
Has anyone ever flown Air China for the route BKK-JFK either way? The fare is so much less than other carriers.

China's much like all the other asian airlines, the drinks are free.

China's JFK terminal was minor chaos and the 4-hour middle-of-the-night layover in an Anchorage lounge landed during a blizzard can be an 'experience'.

How do you see China as cheapest? I find China Airlines pretty much the SAME what every one else is quoting best fares NYC/BKK which for 6mo RET ticket is $1K-1.25K range showing that the days since always finding these somewhere under 800 are STILL over, :-) despite the economic downturn and everything else. If anyone can point out any deals I'm missing, please ...

quiet1
June 3rd, 2009, 07:41
China Airlines (Taiwanese) is a different airline than Air China (Chinese).

fedssocr
June 3rd, 2009, 08:05
you can check Seatguru.com for configuration info
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_Ch ... mation.php (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_China/information.php)
Click the aircraft type on the left side for specific plane models.

Air China is apparently a member of Star Alliance so I am guessing it is decent.

June 3rd, 2009, 08:43
you can check Seatguru.com for configuration info
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_Ch ... mation.php (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_China/information.php)
Click the aircraft type on the left side for specific plane models.

Air China is apparently a member of Star Alliance so I am guessing it is decent.

So is EgyptAir...and it is definitely not decent.

Anyway, if you want airline reviews, click here:

http://www.airlinequality.com/

June 3rd, 2009, 09:24
China Airlines (Taiwanese) is a different airline than Air China (Chinese).

Well, I'll bet Air China serves free drinks as well. I see their NYC/BKK Ret for twice as much as above so I still wonder where 'Chinese airlines are cheap' comes from. Maybe they are combining two Beijing based roundtrips.

Who'd connect through a communist city where you wouldn't feel free to spend a couple nights without the trouble of a visa? You could be stuck a day or two and confined to the airport.

Wesley
June 3rd, 2009, 10:10
Cathay Pacific is a much better ride!!!!!!

But, buy the Marco polo club card, its worth it.

Wes

June 3rd, 2009, 10:18
Who'd connect through a communist city

LOL...when was the last time you were in Beijing? 1972?

cottmann
June 3rd, 2009, 10:31
You should check out how long your stopover will be. I was considering them - till I found I would have a 21 hour stopover between planes in Shanghai.

June 3rd, 2009, 10:36
Who'd connect through a communist city

LOL...when was the last time you were in Beijing? 1972?

early June, 2003

would have wasted a tourist visa had I not gone then

June 3rd, 2009, 10:38
You should check out how long your stopover will be. I was considering them - till I found I would have a 21 hour stopover between planes in Shanghai.

Really. Be stuck sleeping on the floor.

1PR4BKK
June 3rd, 2009, 22:24
Cathay Pacific is a much better ride!!!!!!

But, buy the Marco polo club card, its worth it.

Wes

Cathay Pacific is my airline of choice, however, I needed to get a flight with a few weeks lead time and Cathay was up to $1850 USD for the dates I desired while Air China was only $1100 USD (BKK-JFK-BKK).

As for the MPC, joining the Marco Polo club was well worth it for me. On the way home from BKK to JFK I was upgraded to Business Class without even asking if any upgrades were available. Also, the benefit of being able to board the plane earlier than the rest of the passengers (regardless of seat class) ensures you can settle in and have your carry on bags stored close to your seat. I remember that I learned about the benefits of the Marco Polo Club on this site. Otherwise I would not have even considered it.

Wesley
June 4th, 2009, 03:42
I agree, MPC is a great buy with Cathay Pacific, I had bought a guitar for my nephew for Christmas. The securiity in Cebu took it away from me claiming the strings could be used or I would have to pay 160 to take it as checked baggage. I gave the guitar to the Maro Polo guy for his son, I could buy a better Guitar for 160 bucks here. Later I was on the plane and in comes the guy he went around security and told me, They may have rules but Marco Polo has no siuch rules and they had already bumped me up to first class without my asking. They seem to want to fill all their first class and business seats rather than leave them empty. Liker you said I was a bit late arriving from Manila to fly put of Cebu and once they saw my card I was in the waiting room in 10 minutes with 30 in line behind me.

Wes