PDA

View Full Version : Booking Flights and hotels, a little secret I came across.

June 1st, 2009, 20:18
A friend of mine happened to show me a website on my first trip over to Thailand. He told me that people were buying first class tickets with hotel stays included for $1 USD. I thought he was proper full of it, until I sat down with him and started looking at the website.

As it turns out, this website is basically a tour company overstock sale venue, via internet auction. If these companies overbuy trips, plane tickets, or even just hotel stays, they use this site as a method of getting rid of these purchases while still making back a portion of the money spent, instead of chalking it up as a total loss.

All the sales are done via internet auction, very similar to Ebay. Now you can get lucky and get trips very cheap like my friend had shown me, but they get you back a bit with the fine print fees. Some places charge $250 for only buying 1 ticket, or $300 for going during a certain time of the year. After all is said and done though, if you can buy a RT first-class flight, along with 7 days stay at a 5 star hotel, and a variety of tours included in the price should you want them, for around $1000 USD, thats still a steal.

Will let you all check it out for yourself, and maybe a few of you will get lucky and get some of these super cheap rates. These are for trips all over the world as well, not just Thailand, so very handy indeed.

www.Skyauction.com (http://www.Skyauction.com)

Best of luck.

thrillbill
June 2nd, 2009, 05:48
Beware, some of these "auction sights" choose the dates for you. Fine if you don't have to be back a certain time.

b

bao-bao
June 2nd, 2009, 06:43
Beware, some of these "auction sights" choose the dates for you. Fine if you don't have to be back a certain time.
True story, thrillbill - auction sites might save money in some cases, but the bidder needs to be aware of extra fees and other fine print gobbledegook before they unwittingly become buyers of something they don't want (i.e. a middle of the row economy seat backed up to the lavatory with a 10 hour layover, arriving Bangkok at 02:00). :shaking:

I took a look at the "closing soon" auctions and the pricing was the same as several airline sites themselves (I've been pricing tickets lately, so I know). That's before the additional charges, etc., too. Priceline.com is a "buy it and then see if you want it" sites, as well. You have to REALLY be flexible to use them - and due to other obligations many of us aren't.

Like I said, perhaps this new site will have some good deals - I hope so... but be informed and be aware.

DCbob
June 2nd, 2009, 08:49
I tried the web site, just to check to see if I could get a better deal. I live in Washington, DC.
It takes me to Booking Buddy, which I already know about.
Maybe for later because I have already purchased a 5 month trip to Thailand in November.
I come every winter.

TrongpaiExpat
June 2nd, 2009, 12:08
Priceline.com is a "buy it and then see if you want it" sites, as well. You have to REALLY be flexible to use them - and due to other obligations many of us aren't.

Like I said, perhaps this new site will have some good deals - I hope so... but be informed and be aware.

Yes, and there's a forum that sorts out much of what you need to know before bidding. Some markets are easy, other not worth dealing with bidding. Learn the tricks and what to bid at:

http://www.betterbidding.com/

gra46
June 2nd, 2009, 16:21
I come every winter.
Yes so does santa he CUMS once a year too

June 3rd, 2009, 20:21
Yeah, pretty much what I was saying. The Thailand auctions seem to be very few at the moment compared to what I have seen in the past, usually 7-9 pages of them.

The fine print is where they get you, thats why you have to read it through before you bid. There are deals to be had there, think it all just depends if they concide with peoples schedules.

Nice anyhow I think to be able to have another place to see whats on offer in Thailand. Even if you don't book anything through them, they have some great hotels that they show, which you could in turn book on your own.

Hopefully the lack of Thailand packages at the moment, isn't a trend that will stick around, but seems to mirror the problems here and there at the moment.