PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive hotel near BKK airport

May 29th, 2009, 23:26
I'm looking for an inexpensive hotel near the airport. I know that some of them have free/cheap shuttles. Anyone have a recommendation?

I have an early-morning flight and making the trip from Pattaya in the middle of the night didn't seem like a good idea. I might as well relax near the airport the last evening of my trip.

ceejay
May 30th, 2009, 02:30
I asked a similar question last year. I was on the way through from Siem Reap, the day before flying home). The advice I got was pretty unanimous - stay in Bangkok, and enjoy a last night out on the town before you fly. From the Silom area, you are only half an hour or so from the airport, so it doesn't make a lot of difference to when you have to catch the car. I booked into the Tarntawan for the night, and was pleased I did.

But, I had done a bit of googling first, and I saved the bookmarks, so if you want, you could have a look at these:

http://www.bangpli.com/index.html

http://www.maplandia.com/thailand/bangk ... ri/hotels/ (http://www.maplandia.com/thailand/bangkok/krung-mahanakhon-bangk/ban-min-buri/hotels/)

Click on the Google Maps location map on this page - it's interactive and gives you the location of more than 20 hotels around the aiport.
http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/bang ... views.html (http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/bangkok/queen_s_garden_resort_at_riverview/reviews.html)

But, like I say, if I were you I'd stay in central Bangkok

Michael
May 30th, 2009, 03:24
http://www.silvergoldgarden.com/

We stayed here in December. The rooms weren't anything special, but the free transfers to/from the airport were efficient and frequent. There's a few PCs to access the internet, a basic cafe for breakfast and a small Tesco Lotus nearby. The Staff were friendly and very well organised.

There's a smart Thai restaurant next door to the hotel, right on the edge of the river - it's surprisingly unprepared for tourists, which is a plus point for me. They have a really impressive photo album of a wide variety of Thai dishes, sadly none of the dishes were available! Round the corner there's a genuine Thai Night Market - the 5 baht stall was doing brisk business (The continous loop of Ha Baht, Ha Baht, Ha Baht was ringing in my ears). I bought some super glue to repair something. On the other side of the road is a table top BBQ thingy restaurant (oops should know the name) - which I enjoyed, partly because of the entertainment provided by the lively alcohol fueled office party taking place across from our table.

We were lucky that the fun fayre was in town when we were there - Fascinating to see the Thai take on a fun fayre - similar rides and side stalls to those in the UK but a far greater emphasis on gambling. One odd attraction was trying to catch goldfish out of a paddling pool using a net made out of tissue that disolves in the water.

I was glad that we chose to stay there - but not sure I'd recommend it to the average tourist.

May 30th, 2009, 03:29
But, like I say, if I were you I'd stay in central Bangkok

Thanks for the advice. It's my first visit, so I'm booking a week at Bablyon...then off to Pattaya for a week (staying at Room Club on the beach) and then back for the last night. I'll look around during my first week and maybe check into one of the inexpensive hotels close to whatever area I liked best.

May 30th, 2009, 06:50
I was glad that we chose to stay there - but not sure I'd recommend it to the average tourist.

Thanks Michael! 1300 baht and free hourly transfers, not bad at all. After two weeks it might be relaxing to just walk around the area and see something that isn't gay. ;)

May 30th, 2009, 23:47
The Dawin BKK, seems to be a pretty popular destination with quite a few of my customers looking to spend their last bit of time in BKK before they go, or their first few days before heading to Patts. Not sure on the rates, but have only heard good things about it. Its located off of Soi4 (Nana Plaza), so you will be right in the heart of the action there.

If this will be your only time in BKK during your trip, I would suggest the stay as close to the fun as you can, and a taxi ride to the airport from a meter taxi, is going to be well under 500baht. Probably closer to the 300 range. I hope that helps you out a bit my friend.

May 31st, 2009, 00:01
Its located off of Soi4 (Nana Plaza), so you will be right in the heart of the action there.

Unfortunately the action you will be in the heart of is the straight action.....

May 31st, 2009, 00:07
What are the areas where someone would find the non-straight action? This is the kind of advice I am looking to find to be able to make better suggestions for my customers.

I was under the impression that Nana had something to cater to everyone. In Pattaya and Jomtien, I know the areas well, just not the individual haunts. Bangkok proper on the other hand, I don't really know what areas are suited to gay/straight action.

May 31st, 2009, 00:22
What are the areas where someone would find the non-straight action? This is the kind of advice I am looking to find to be able to make better suggestions for my customers.

I was under the impression that Nana had something to cater to everyone. In Pattaya and Jomtien, I know the areas well, just not the individual haunts. Bangkok proper on the other hand, I don't really know what areas are suited to gay/straight action.

I think the closest thing to non-str8 in Nana would be a few kathoey bars there. I would never recommend gay friends to stay there, or even to go there. Makes Pattaya seem high class.
The gay attractions in BKK are well covered in other posts on this site. There are so many areas its hard to make a comprehensive list - Silom/Surawong/Sathorn, Langsuan, Ratcahada, Ortorkor, Lamsalee/Ramkhamhaeng, Saphan Kwai, and probably more that I remember of or dont know about. I am sure others can add more. I am curious about places on the other side of the Chao Phraya, I did go to some place there once, very late and very drunk, no way I would ever find it again by myself......

Smiles
May 31st, 2009, 01:53
When I have an early flight out of BKK (i.e. almost every time!) we often stay at the Saithip Granville Hotel out on Sukhumvit 56 by On Nut Skytrain Station << http://maps.google.ca/maps?oe=utf-8&rls ... e&resnum=1 (http://maps.google.ca/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=saithip+hotel+bangkok&fb=1&split=1&gl=ca&cid=0,0,5484180107812778810&ei=n34hSpnDNIuUswO00ZmHBA&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1) >>.

Very pleasant and clean hotel for 700 Baht a night. Very pretty and quiet neighbourhood for an evening walk, and the night market beside On Nut Station is fun exploring. Huge rooms with swimming-pool sized beds.
An early morning taxi will cost just a bit less than 200 baht on the meter, and it's close to the freeway directly to the airport. If you have to leave the hotel at 5 or 6AM there's hardly any traffic. But if you leave the hotel at 8AM or so, the traffic on Sukhumvit wil be at it's peak ... though once you get on the freeway it's smooth sailing.

A very nice hotel for the price.

CHAOTOU
May 31st, 2009, 09:37
I wouldn't be afraid to take a car from Pattaya the morning you are leaving.

Often times I go immediately to Pattaya from the airport when I arrive. If that's the case, I will spend a few days
in BKK on the way home. But, if I am on a shorter visit, I might stay in Pattaya until it's time to head back to the
airport and skip Bangkok. I have done this on several occasions. If you book with a car service a few days ahead of time, your driver will know about his assignment and be able to prepare (meaning sleep, be rested) I have never had a problem. I assume that is your concern, the sleepy driver factor. I can say the scariest ride I have ever had to the airport was from BKK in a metered taxi. I am always taking a 6am-6:30am flight, so I am going to the airport about 4am. These poor guys driving the metered taxis have usually been up a long time by the time I get in a taxi at 4am. One time the driver was obviously falling asleep and was all over the road. Good thing the expressway is several lanes wide and there was no traffic.

I have never had a problem leaving Pattaya at 2:30am for the airport with a prearranged car. The hotel I use, books the car for me and they use Gem and Phon's car service.

quiet1
May 31st, 2009, 09:58
http://www.silvergoldgarden.com/
I've used Sliver Gold Garden eight times so far, and agree with what Michael said.

You can almost always get a room for B850 by booking via either:

http://www.latestays.com/silver-gold-garden/
http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/bangkok/silvergold/

Latestays.com tacks on a commission fee since the booking is not pre-paid online. (Haven't used them for a while, but I think it was a B100 fee?)

Sawadee.com prepays online via credit card and does not charge a commission fee, but it does involve an exchange of several e-mails.

I particularly agree with Michael's last line ("I was glad that we chose to stay there - but not sure I'd recommend it to the average tourist.") If you simply want a place to rest your head that's near the airport and economical, this place fills the bill.

When I arrive on long flights from the USA at near midnight, I usually don't want to hop into a taxi for the ride to Pattaya. I prefer to take a shower, sleep in a bed, and continue the journey the next morning. (But, then again I'm not a sex tourist fretting about wasting time missing a trick that could be solicited when arriving at Pattaya around 0200h.*)

FYI, staying here for B850 and taking a Bell bus for B200 to a Pattaya/Jomtien hotel or condo is usually cheaper than a metered taxi, and a visitor would save one night's hotel charge in Pattaya.

[edited to add:] *On further thought, I bet a dyed-in-the-wool sex tourist could score with some of the hotel staff. I've notice a few of them are young and virile looking...

Michael
May 31st, 2009, 20:25
we often stay at the Saithip Granville Hotel out on Sukhumvit 56 by On Nut Skytrain Station

Smiles, that's interesting, I thought about staying at somewhere near On Nut, but could only find a basic hostel when I did my research online.

I've just tried googling Saithip Granville Hotel, but all I get is your post here!

May 31st, 2009, 23:53
You can almost always get a room for B850 by booking via either:

I did notice a 900 baht rate in their online reservation system but that was only for "late bookings" within 28 days of your stay. I could give that a try since I don't really care if they are full...plenty of options.

When I have an early flight out of BKK (i.e. almost every time!)

I hear you there--my arrival is after 12AM and departure around 6. I added a day to my trip since the logistics do cut into your time.

I assume that is your concern, the sleepy driver factor.

I hadn't even considered it! lol. Nice to know, though.

I'm ultimately only worried about missing my flight, regardless of cause. I don't know how long the drive takes from Jomtien, or how quickly one can get through the checkpoints at BKK airport. I'll have that figured out for the next trip.

Smiles
June 1st, 2009, 00:33
we often stay at the Saithip Granville Hotel out on Sukhumvit 56 by On Nut Skytrain Station

Smiles, that's interesting, I thought about staying at somewhere near On Nut, but could only find a basic hostel when I did my research online.

I've just tried googling Saithip Granville Hotel, but all I get is your post here!
I don't think the Saithip has a website or even web-based bookings. It's the kind of place that once you stay there they just kind of 'know' you for later. There's a phone number on the link in my post above.

Suphot knew about this hotel from years ago (i.e. 'Before Smiles') when he had a short-lived career as a Bangkok motorcycle taxi driver.

Sen Yai
June 1st, 2009, 19:59

I don't think the Saithip has a website or even web-based bookings. It's the kind of place that once you stay there they just kind of 'know' you for later. There's a phone number on the link in my post above.

T-try g-googling Saithip Grandville, g-g-g-Granville

I couldn't find a hotel web site either, but there are a few complimentary trip reports like this one. (http://bangkok.asiaxpat.com/forums/living-in-bangkok/threads/52261/apartment-search/)

ThaiFan
June 1st, 2009, 22:19
I'm looking for an inexpensive hotel near the airport. I know that some of them have free/cheap shuttles. Anyone have a recommendation?

I have an early-morning flight and making the trip from Pattaya in the middle of the night didn't seem like a good idea. I might as well relax near the airport the last evening of my trip.

Everytime I take the taxi from the BKK airport into the city, I always pass by this hotel after 5 mins. I believe the name is called "Convenient Resort" (sounds a bit corny, but its really close to the airport). I think its just slightly less than 1,000THB. You can get a free round-trip ride there but must book with the hotel in advance by informing them of your flight/time of arrival.