View Full Version : Bangkok Bar Scene

sydneyboy
May 25th, 2009, 17:53
I was reading some depressing threads on Cruising for Sex and the view was that the Bangkok bar scene is currently pretty "dead" with relatively few boys. Could I have comments please from recent visitors? What is the quality and quantity like in Soi Twilight, Tawan, Jupiter and Screw Boy?

May 25th, 2009, 18:19
I didn't visit all the bars you mentioned, but back in December the quality & quantity was very good on "Soi Twilight", although not in every bar. Can't imagine it's gone completely to pot in the last 6 months.

Put it another way, where else in the world is there to go? Only Pattaya seems to have a comparable number of bars.

thrillbill
May 25th, 2009, 18:25
I go to Bangkok almost every weekend for my gay social life (work is near Pattaya) and there is a decrease of the 4-5 star tourists in Bangkok; thus, you can get some good hotel rates through Agoda. The gay scene doesn't seem to be a sparse as one thinks. Soi 4 is always full on weekends -good for it being low season and hit with the economic and political tidal waves. DJ a couple weeks ago was jammed packed to the gills and GOD after 3am is full, no difference with the economic swing-at least on a Saturday night. I don't go to Soi Twilight much, but with there being less tourists, it should be at your advantage to choose from a better short of eye candy.

I am reading dreadful figures about the drop of tourism in Thailand due to the bad PR of the red shirt demonstrations back in April and due to the poor world economic conditions. But I think if a person has a business that deals with the single male (not a family or couple) these bars, restaurants, and small 3 star hotels/guest houses will not suffer like the ones that are more family orieneted. The experenced traveled male keeps doing their annual mecca to places like Bangkok or Pattaya. Thus, that is why you will still see many single men tourist running around soi 4 (gay of course) or in Pattaya on Walking Street (straight) or Sunee Plaza (gay).

sydneyboy
May 25th, 2009, 20:05
Z909

I think that the authors on Cruising for Sex were saying that it has "gone to pot". The airport blockade and the political turmoil has deterred tourists and I think the quote was that many boys are exploring "other avenues" to make ends meet. However these views are not definitive and I would welcome other comments from recent visitors.

May 25th, 2009, 20:10
On my visit to BKK three weeks ago, both Soi 4 and Soi Twilight were humming. The bars didn't seem to have fewer boys than usual.

May 25th, 2009, 22:34
I think May (and September) is a the "low" of the low season, so many boys is going back home for visiting their families, espacially the good looking ones who have been busy (lucky) in the high season and perhaps have been able to save some baht. Perhaps that's the reason some think the quality is down right now.

As many other posters say, even if tourism in total is down, the gaytourists is still comming, where else can we go? But some say we spend less money, looking for cheaper hotels and restaurants (and now not having as money boys during our stay? :-) )

Even if the value of my farangland currency is down 25% since last year so is also the price of my flightticket so hope I can afford both good accomodation and food (and perhaps a boy or two) when arrive in the end of the summer :-)

May 25th, 2009, 22:42
As many other posters say, even if tourism in total is down, the gaytourists is still comming, where else can we go?

Um, let's see...Rio, Sitges, Buenos Aires, San Francisco, Acapulco, Amsterdam, London, Paris, Berlin, New York, Mykonos, Key West, Prague, Singapore, Tokyo, and Taipei, all have thriving gay scenes, just for starters.

May 25th, 2009, 23:07
The last two years I spent my holiday in Amsterdam because the first visit was remarkable. Thailand was 2nd on my list so I'm going this year. I've heard great things about Berlin--from the guys in Amsterdam who universally say it is better. I wasn't as keen about the friendliness of San Francisco but they had some wonderful bars to sit and people watch.

The hottest encounter that I had in Amsterdam was with a flight attendant from Singapore Airlines. That'd certainly be worth a visit. :)

May 26th, 2009, 03:56
Well Beach Bunny, I've been to many of the places you mention and yes, off course there is fantastic gaylife in them, but hardly not the same kind of gaylife we have in Thailand. And if tourists avoid Thailand because of the costs not many of the alternatives you mention will do any better.

And if you are 45+ something and having a body shape where best before date is passed since a while, how big is the chance to spend the night with a nicelooking 20-something in most of that cities?

May 26th, 2009, 06:24
I go to Bangkok almost every weekend for my gay social life (work is near Pattaya) and there is a decrease of the 4-5 star tourists in Bangkok; thus, you can get some good hotel rates through Agoda. The gay scene doesn't seem to be a sparse as one thinks. Soi 4 is always full on weekends -good for it being low season and hit with the economic and political tidal waves. DJ a couple weeks ago was jammed packed to the gills and GOD after 3am is full, no difference with the economic swing-at least on a Saturday night. I don't go to Soi Twilight much, but with there being less tourists, it should be at your advantage to choose from a better short of eye candy.

I agreed with you thrillbill and your finding almost mirror mine.

I am in Bangkok every other week and the gay scene in Soi 4 and Soi 2 is alive and going great. I often meet someone on gayromeo.com and arrange to meet up in Soi 4 to finalize the details.

I don't visit Soi Twilight much either because of the outrageous drink prices (and I don't care if some places have reduced their prices - they have cooked their goose as far as I'm concerned).

I much prefer the freelancer scene in Soi 4 and DJ's and some of those boys have begun to see sense about their prices. I freely admit to being past my prime but at Christmas time I was being asked for 1500-2000 Baht for short-time. Now most of those boys will go for 1000 and their taxi fare. Of course it also costs you a few drinks but at least those are far cheaper than the rip-off gogo bars. Fridays and Saturdays can be a bit of a squeeze in DJ but it's not to be missed.

I know that GOD is also a great pull after DJ closes but by that time I'm usually ready to hit the sack. One place you should try at showtime is 9 Club in Soi 4. They have off-boys from Jupiter as the waiters and some of them are real honeys.
There are also lots of boys hanging about by the entrance of GOD near Boots and I have taken a few of these who claim to work in massage parlours for 1000 a trick.

vnman
May 26th, 2009, 06:37
I know that GOD is also a great pull after DJ closes but by that time I'm usually ready to hit the sack. One place you should try at showtime is 9 Club in Soi 4. They have off-boys from Jupiter as the waiters and some of them are real honeys.
There are also lots of boys hanging about by the entrance of GOD near Boots and I have taken a few of these who claim to work in massage parlours for 1000 a trick.

looks like useful information.

tnx

andrewcraig
May 26th, 2009, 06:49
One place you should try at showtime is 9 Club in Soi 4. They have off-boys from Jupiter as the waiters and some of them are real honeys.

The above quote from love_child is certainly interesting. What time is show time at 9 club. Do the off boys come only after Jupiter closes.I have always found it difficult to of a boy from Jupiter. Thought most of them were straight and into ladies only.

Any news of the big venue that LMTU was saying he is hard at work setting up in BKK?

May 26th, 2009, 08:32
Well Beach Bunny, I've been to many of the places you mention and yes, off course there is fantastic gaylife in them, but hardly not the same kind of gaylife we have in Thailand. And if tourists avoid Thailand because of the costs not many of the alternatives you mention will do any better.

And if you are 45+ something and having a body shape where best before date is passed since a while, how big is the chance to spend the night with a nicelooking 20-something in most of that cities?

Your chances are 100% in all of those cities, as long as you pay (just like in Thailand). Though the price may be a little higher.

In any case, the original implication was that gay tourists have no place in the world to go other than Thailand, which is utter bollocks.

Now, if he had said, "there is no better place than Thailand for cheap sex with large quantities of boy hookers", I might have agreed.

a447
May 26th, 2009, 15:45
Sydneyboy, I was in BKK and Pattaya in April and although that was a while ago now, I doubt things would have gone downhill all that quickly. Both destinations were fine - plenty of eyecandy and lots of chances to enjoy yourself, even after the riots when everyone had supposedly gone home. My guess is that families fled the scene, not the gay tourists.

Now, if he had said, "there is no better place than Thailand for cheap sex with large quantities of boy hookers", I might have agreed.

Errr.... on a board like this, isn't that pretty obvious??

May 26th, 2009, 17:31
You can't keep the dedicated sex tourist away but even so I'm hearing that things are not that great. Having lost my banking job in Singapore I'm now back in the US. I'm sure I'm not alone among the posters on SGT or the sex tourists those places need.

sydneyboy
May 26th, 2009, 19:03
Could you refresh my memory as to full name of the venue "GOD"?

thrillbill
May 27th, 2009, 15:30
G.O.D. GUYS ON DISPLAY When GOD first opened (use to be Freemans, down from Richard's Restaurant), they hired about 3-4 sexy hunks to dance on their "catwalk" after 2am. Now they seem to have just one or two guys that are hired and the rest are just Bangkok City beef cakes (some) that want to show their gyrating movements free. Most of the Thais that go there on Saturday nights take care of their bodies, are great to look at, and seem to skip DJ's. A totally different atmosphere...too bad it doesn't get going until after 2am...by 4am, I'm too tired to pick up anyone!

May 29th, 2009, 21:02
The number of people in the bar scene, Patts included, compared to 1 year ago, is down proportionally. The overall number of tourists coming in, this includes the families and everything, are down since the red shirt rally recently, and the airport closure at the end of last year.

This has effected all Thais, regardless of industry. The bottom line is the money coming in, just isn't the same as it used to be. UK tourists were among the top 3 visiting LOS, and with the drop in currency exchange, that adds to Thailands already dwindling industry.

Don't get me wrong, Patts and BKK have a long life ahead of them still, and better times are to come, its just going to take time to bounce back from the bad publicity and the inner conflicts. I can tell you from the number of customers I have, May was still a strong month, although the last week was a bit slow. June is starting off a tad slow, but kicking into high gear the 2nd week or so. It will continue to get more busy as we get closer to August/September, then things will be booming. Especially if the pound jumps back up, and there are no more rallys.

There are still plenty of fish in the ponds of Thailand at the moment though, so no worries if your trips are planned for the next few coming months.

TrongpaiExpat
May 30th, 2009, 11:05
Someone told me last week GOD is closed. Not sure if it was temporary, for the season or permanent.

Last night all the bars on Soi Twilight closed at midnight. It rained hard all night and Dream Boys decided to close due to no customers and within 10 min they all followed.

The Babylon foam party went as scheduled but all the foam dissipated in the rain. Then taxis were hard to find on that soi in the rain and the few that did show up decided to jack the prices and not turn on meters. The rain always brings out the best in Bangkok taxi drivers.

Club 9 had a party, I did not make it over there, I wonder how it went?

May 30th, 2009, 12:30
Someone told me last week GOD is closed. Not sure if it was temporary, for the season or permanent.

recently DJ has been closing at 2am, assume the police are enforcing the law (that will make the corruption complainers here happy). I guess GOD doesnt bother opening if they arent going to be able to stay open late.

Lunchtime O'Booze
May 30th, 2009, 13:13
You can't keep the dedicated sex tourist away but even so I'm hearing that things are not that great. Having lost my banking job in Singapore I'm now back in the US. I'm sure I'm not alone among the posters on SGT or the sex tourists those places need.

as one door closes, another opens. Curious should be able to afford a visit to Cuba soon when Obama recognizes the place..indeed we should get there before the Yanks totally stuff the place up (with apologies to Yanks) as is their wont. It will probably rival if not exceed your expectations and anyone with experience in Puerto Rico..before it became a little dangerous..will know Latins are the randiest people on earth.

Of course we would get the latest news on Bangkok on here if the famous/infamous LMTU were allowed to post. :scratch:

May 30th, 2009, 15:36
Um, let's see...Rio, Sitges, Buenos Aires, San Francisco, Acapulco, Amsterdam, London, Paris, Berlin, New York, Mykonos, Key West, Prague, Singapore, Tokyo, and Taipei, all have thriving gay scenes, just for starters.

True, you can buy sex anywhere. But from my experience in Taipei and Singapore, their money boys are very tricky to deal with. They like to pretend they are not money boys, and give you all kinds of lies. I once discussed this with a local friend in Taiwan, he said this is the way it is in Taiwan, money boys never admit they are money boys. They prefer playing games than being honest and upfront.

thrillbill
May 30th, 2009, 22:40
The number of people in the bar scene, Patts included, compared to 1 year ago, is down proportionally. The overall number of tourists coming in, this includes the families and everything, are down since the red shirt rally recently, and the airport closure at the end of last year.

This has effected all Thais, regardless of industry. The bottom line is the money coming in, just isn't the same as it used to be. UK tourists were among the top 3 visiting LOS, and with the drop in currency exchange, that adds to Thailands already dwindling industry.

In Pattaya, the whole nationality scene has changed. Brits, Germans, and other Western nationalities don't come here as much (talking mostly about straights) as much as the Russians. They make up about 60% of the tourists in Pattaya,(according to an article I read a few weeks ago). Five years ago when I arrived here, it was uncommon to see blond haired couples pushing a stroller and an infant in their hand (just single fellows running around). Now no one blinks an eye. Good thing the Russians are here since they seem to be the ones in the shopping centers buying things. And there are some cute gay Russians ....

June 3rd, 2009, 08:47
I just returned to the US from LOS and my experience was that the bar scene is as lively as ever.
The show at Jupiter was fair with some good looking guys and some solid efforts made to be really entertaining.
I was at Bangkok Boys for their 12th Anniversary Show/Party and the place was jammed with lots and lots of eye candy and boys doing sexy things onstage. The show lasted almost until closing with lots of variety/types of guys.
The action on Silom Soi 4 was energetic and packed with people. Both Telephone and Balcony were packed.
The show at "9" was good but not very well attended.
Perhaps the predictions of a huge drop-off in tourism is reflected more in "straight" family-oriented tourists.
It seems that the gay venues are not doing badly.
all the best

June 3rd, 2009, 09:34
I always thought that the California Fitness must have closed at 2:00 am and all the freshly showered boys are now over at G.O.D. It makes it worthwhile to leave DJ early if you are empty handed by then.

TrongpaiExpat
June 3rd, 2009, 15:01
I always thought that the California Fitness must have closed at 2:00 am and all the freshly showered boys are now over at G.O.D. It makes it worthwhile to leave DJ early if you are empty handed by then.

Your not paying attention, GOD is closed.

Jason: The low numbers at Club 9 for their special party (last Sat) was mostly due to very heavy rain that night that just would not let up. It's a very nice club and I don't know why it's not doing well. The curse of the old Rome Club?

thrillbill
June 3rd, 2009, 17:52
Your not paying attention, GOD is closed. \

G.O.D. Basically make their money after DJ closes and are able to stay late once the police turns the other head (and the owner who owns other bars in the Patpong area probably slips some baht under the table). So it is common every few months for it to be closed or close at 2:30 when the police are doing their "thing". GOD will be open again and DJ will be staying open beyond 2..closing at 3am. Seems to go in cycles.

thaiguest
June 4th, 2009, 16:55
As many other posters say, even if tourism in total is down, the gaytourists is still comming, where else can we go?

Umm...Rio-get murdered, Sitges-grotesque ladyboys, Buenos Aires- get robbed and murdered, San Fransisco-maybe, Acapulco-probably but not sure, Amsterdam- now cock rings, leather and murderous moneyboys, London-take out a special mortgage, Paris-I don't think it would be worth all the franco-merde, Berlin-Tabasco Bar ok but city now over-run by menacing gipsy money boys, New York-Mayor Juliani's pride and joy, Mykonos-my liu, Key West-maybe, Prague-more murderous money boys, Singapore- I doubt it's worth a fag, Tokyo- ok, so long as you're a rich member of the yellow race, Taipei-don't know but have my doubts.
NO THANK YOU. I'M STAYING HERE IN PARADISE.