PDA

View Full Version : Phuket Musings

bing
May 23rd, 2009, 10:06
Phuket was a wonderful place to spend a few days. I stayed at the Connect. All postings called it very basic, and that is true, but it is in the heart of things. In fact the whole paradise complex can be walked in one minute. Very small.

If and when you go to James Bond Island and Phi Phi islands be sure to take a Thai friend along. The boats I traveled on were filled with straight couples. I took along one of the greeters from My Way, I called him Chi for 4 days and I saw him write his name and it is Yai, but he did not seem to mind me calling him Chi. He was a neat companion and while he toned down his flaming gay self on the boat rides, he did show great concern that my hand or shoulder should get a massage every 5 minutes or so. Also while he handled the camera when I took to the water, he was content to walk knee deep in the water. I know he had on his yellow swim suit, and though I can't imagine it, I think he was a bit shy to let all the farangs see his 100 pound body.

Also the Connect does run its Beach party on Saturdays if there are at least 15 people signed up. This is low season and there were 60 who signed up. Wow, don't miss this one. You may have heard of the drink called 'Sex on the Beach'. After an open bar on the beach for a few hours more than a few swim suits seemed to be worn around the neck. If you look at the web site, the boat trip it seems to have ended a few years ago. The boys do not put on a show as in the old days, now they put a boom box on a table and clear a bit of space and the boys do disco and cayote dancing free style. Bell, from the pool hall down from the Aquarius was the best dancer, but I was bias as he was my guest that day. Also a boy from the Passport Bar won the swimsuit contest, well there was no contest but I judged his to be the best. It was a rather small white outfit that would have gone well on the Copacabana Beach in Brazil or any of the neighboring beaches as well. Naturally I just had to have a few pics taken with the swimsuit contest winner. Did I mention he was cute too.

Just an aside, to get to the beach from the Paradise Complex, you go to the main street at the start of the Paradise complex walk right to the first intersection, turn left for 3 blocks and when you get tothe beach turn left for 3 minutes til you see the gay flag, you are there. I'm not sure how gay it really is, as the time I spent there, about half the goup was husband and wife. Still a nice beach.

bao-bao
May 23rd, 2009, 22:14
A nice report, bing - thanks. There haven't been too many relatively objective reviews/shares about Phuket lately, and I appreciated yours.