PDA

View Full Version : Oldest Gay friendly hotel in Bangkok

blueboy
May 6th, 2009, 16:49
Searching for hotels in Bangkok, I have come across one that has "caveats" :

"Caveat

The Atlanta is run on conservative principles and fosters traditional values.
The Atlanta does not hesitate to refuse rooms to persons unsuited to the prevailing ethos of The Atlanta.
The Atlanta does not welcome SEX TOURISTS, and does not try to be polite about it.
Borderline cases are not given the benefit of the doubt, but are treated as sex tourists.
Those who are borderline cases should stay elsewhere.
Guests who attempt to bring in bargirls, catamites and their like will be told in plain language to settle their bills and leave.
Remaining on the premises after being told to leave will be treated as a police matter.
The Atlanta does not ask for or listen to explanations or excuses, and does not apologise for the manner in which miscreants are thrown out.
The Atlanta also does not apologise for any mistakes it may be accused of having made with regard to the identification of sex tourists.
To keep The Atlanta private, secure, wholesome and sleaze-free for the kind of guests we welcome,
room guests are not permitted to take visitors / outsiders upstairs into the bulding and their rooms, or into the garden and pool area.
Exceptions may be made in appropriate circumstances at the management's discretion.
Suitable visitors / outsiders may be entertained in the restaurant.
The Atlanta operates a "ZERO TOLERANCE " policy regarding

* TROUBLE-MAKERS,

* POSSESSORS AND USERS OF ILLICIT DRUGS and

* ALL OTHER ILLEGAL AND NEFARIOUS ACTIVITIES

'Zero tolerance' means that the police are called without advance warning to the miscreant, without hesitation and without apology.
Visitors who object to any of The Atlanta's policies or who intend to spend their time in Thailand whoring and indulging in alcohol abuse and illicit drugs should stay elsewhere. The Atlanta is not that kind of place.
Tourism is not about going on a rampage through other people's country: those who cannot travel abroad without behaving badly should stay home.
On these policies, The Atlanta is not interested in dissenting public opinion or what the business world calls
'customer feedback'.
The Atlanta caters to a certain kind of clientele and that is the end of the matter.
No discussion. No compromise."

see http://www.theatlantahotelbangkok.com/

Maybe one has a few friends we'd like to send there!

May 6th, 2009, 17:14
It is actually a very popular hotel, almost always full.

There are lots of people -- families, single women travelers, etc. -- who do not want to be around all that shit.

thrillbill
May 6th, 2009, 17:21
The Atlanta Hotel, which has a charming vintaged lobby, (and even a swimming pool), has the right to post its criteria. There are plenty more hotels one can choose from. Families may not care to have screaming hookers next door to their room or explaining why some retired fat farang has a young Thai "boy" with him to their kid.

May 6th, 2009, 17:46
And the converse: I prefer not to stay in hotels that cater to families with screaming brats.

Personally, I am very happy when a hotel makes it clear what its target audience, so that I can better choose one that suits me.

May 6th, 2009, 18:42
I actually tried to check in to the Atlanta once. It was listed as some sort of a gem of a hotel in the Fodor's guide. They had several rooms avilable so I asked to see one they would recommend. It was a shithole. An absolute shithole. It took me two seconds to decide not to take the room. Instead I called La Residence hotel on Surawong and asked them if I could please check in that afternoon. They said sure, and I felt as though I had just escaped from prison.

The Atlanta Hotel has nothing going for it. Even the restaurant serves, watered-down, bland curry. How is that even possible? The Fodor's guide had raved not only about the food but about the detailed explanaions of each dish. The explanations were, in fact, quite nice.

Oh, and the place is filled with a bunch of 20-something single tourists who can't take their eyes off their Lonely Planet guide books.

I would much rather go to Thailand and have sex with cute young Thais I meet in DJ Station than hang out with bunch of losers who don't even know how to put their guide books down and take in a new experience while traveling. Seriously, doesn't going on vacation mean dropping all that holier-than-though mental baggage?

May 6th, 2009, 18:53
People who can't put down their Lonely Planet guides are holier-than-thou losers, but those who can't put down their Fodors guides are presumably not?

Interesting theory.

May 6th, 2009, 19:50
A similarly welcoming hotel for the gay traveller is

Bangkok Christian Guest House (http://www.bcgh.org/)

and very convenient for the Silom bars.

May 6th, 2009, 20:18
Beach Bunny: Fuck you. I had bought the Fodor's guide in Tokyo, where I was when I decided I'd try the Atlanta. By the way, I'm sure the Atlanta would be perfect for a pretentious little prick like yourself.

May 6th, 2009, 20:59
Beach Bunny: Fuck you. I had bought the Fodor's guide in Tokyo, where I was when I decided I'd try the Atlanta. By the way, I'm sure the Atlanta would be perfect for a pretentious little prick like yourself.

Haha...chill dude. You're the one calling people "losers" and "holier than thou" just because of the guide book they read. Who's the "pretentious little prick"? Mr. Fodors La-dee-da.

May 6th, 2009, 21:24
When is the last time you have heard the word catamite used in everyday conversation? One wonders how many of the punters here even know their tricks are catamites? How very Old Testament.

May 6th, 2009, 21:48
When is the last time you have heard the word catamite used in everyday conversation? One wonders how many of the punters here even know their tricks are catamites? How very Old Testament.

Fitting, perhaps, in that the founder of the Atlanta was a Jewish World War II refugee.

dab69
May 6th, 2009, 22:00
what has this to do with the oldest gay friendly hotel in Bangkok?
certainly doesn't sound friendly at all.

yaraboy
May 6th, 2009, 23:50
As it turns out this hotel and its founder has a fascinating history

http://travelerstales.com/carpet/000131.shtml

Khor tose
May 6th, 2009, 23:57

No not old testament. Comes from the Greek work for Ganymedes who was Zeus' boy love and cup bearer.
It was corrupted to catmite by the Etruscans and the romans made it Catamitus and now it is Catamite. However, it does not usually refer to a May/December relationship, but to a man/boy relationship. So if your boy is over 18 he is a trick and not a catamite.

May 7th, 2009, 03:52
And the converse: I prefer not to stay in hotels that cater to families with screaming brats.

Exactly. Even better would be an airline that doesn't allow brats under the age of 16.

May 7th, 2009, 08:48

Exactly. Even better would be an airline that doesn't allow brats under the age of 16.

I'd fly that airline in a second, as long as they also didn't allow flatulent, snoring old cunts over 60, people of any age weighing more than 100 kg, and people who haven't had a shower in the past eight hours.

MiniMee
May 7th, 2009, 11:32
Whereas flatulent, snoring old cunts over 40 weighing more than 90 kg are OK with you, we assume?

May 7th, 2009, 13:15
Whereas flatulent, snoring old cunts over 40 weighing more than 90 kg are OK with you, we assume?

Duh. They would have to be, or I wouldn't be able to fly.

pandorasbox-old
May 7th, 2009, 15:29
So can any of our dear members tell me which is, in their opinion, the oldest gay friendly hotel in Bangkok?
I thing we can exclude the Oriental due to it's long standing guest list of old queens!

May 7th, 2009, 18:05
So can any of our dear members tell me which is, in their opinion, the oldest gay friendly hotel in Bangkok?
I thing we can exclude the Oriental due to it's long standing guest list of old queens!

Why exclude the Oriental? A long history of queens both as guests and management puts them right up front.

Don't forget, fattman, that when an FOQ gets all pissy about a hotel not being "gay friendly", what he should be saying is that it is not "prostitute friendly". They could dress all their staff in tutu's and have El Duo singing Barbara Streisand songs every night at the piano bar...yet they would still be called "not gay friendly" if they don't allow, or charge extra for, an accompanying prostitute (of either sex).

May 8th, 2009, 00:25
I don't see how the hotel could tell the difference between a boyfriend, a casual partner & a prostitute.

Besides, it's none of their damn business if you have paid for two beds & behave with the same type of discretion that would be expected of any other couple in the hotel.

May 8th, 2009, 00:31
I don't see how the hotel could tell the difference between a boyfriend, a casual partner & a prostitute.

Besides, it's none of their damn business if you have paid for two beds & behave with the same type of discretion that would be expected of any other couple in the hotel.

It is no damn business of theirs beyond having the identification particulars of all guests on their premises. If I were a hotelier, that is what my policy would be: pay for a double room, and two people can sleep there. But you have to register them or leave their ID with the desk.

Even such a basic security policy, though, sends some FOQ's into a tizzy. Particularly those who would prefer their companions' birth dates not be known (or whose companions "forget ID in loom").

May 8th, 2009, 10:05

The latter, IMHO, is not difficult to spot; a combination of age, dress, and demeanour will give it away.

Why should it matter which is which? Treat all unregistered guests the same: require identification.

giggsy
May 9th, 2009, 03:21
[quote="Beach Bunny":2g53tsts]And the converse: I prefer not to stay in hotels that cater to families with screaming brats.

I'd fly that airline in a second, as long as they also didn't allow flatulent, snoring old cunts over 60, people of any age weighing more than 100 kg, and people who haven't had a shower in the past eight hours.[/quote:2g53tsts]

[youtube:2g53tsts]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40MWc5DOdJ4[/youtube:2g53tsts]

May 9th, 2009, 04:35

The latter, IMHO, is not difficult to spot; a combination of age, dress, and demeanour will give it away.

Really, so why did the doorman at the Oriental get it so horribly wrong the last time I walked in with my partner who holds a responsible professional position and the same passport as myself, but happens to look "local". He sent the doorman to get our key and told him he didn't speak Thai.

krobbie
May 9th, 2009, 05:46

Really, so why did the doorman at the Oriental get it so horribly wrong the last time I walked in with my partner who holds a responsible professional position and the same passport as myself, but happens to look "local". He sent the doorman to get our key and told him he didn't speak Thai.

What a shame there isn't a photo of the doorman's face at this time.

Cheers
krobbie

May 9th, 2009, 10:34
....the founder of the Atlanta was a Jewish World War II refugee.

You're just a font of information. If you aren't boygeenyus you ought to be. :albino:

Lunchtime O'Booze
May 10th, 2009, 16:31
Each to his own of course.

There was a time (needless to say it was the Romans) when any self respecting person of note had a least one catamite.

The Atlanta sounds decidedly dull and a bit like the state of Florida.

I'd much prefer to be next to a room full lof screaming hookers, nay in a room of screaming hookers. :cheers: