PDA

View Full Version : culinary schools?

May 1st, 2009, 21:51
I have a Thai friend who is a real foodie.
It is his dream to become a chef and he has just finished university.
I am hoping to help him now pursue his real dream.
I think if he were to become a certified Thai chef that his chances of getting a visa and job in other countries would be greatly enhanced. It is also the work he truly wants. He is already an excellent cook, but courses leading to a certificate are needed.
I first suggested the course at the Oriental Hotel, but he contacted them and they said they take no one over 25! He is 30.
Do any of you know of a good school for training aspiring chefs in Thai cuisine? I am not too concerned about the cost.
He is an incredible young man I met when he helped me at a time when I was violently ill. He is not, and never was, a money boy. He was an orphan who had not been able to finish high school but had a decent job. I encouraged him to go back to school and graduate, then helped him to go on to university. He got confirmation that he had passed his last course two days ago and was overjoyed. He continued to keep a job throughout his studies and never asked me for money.
He would change the topic any time he thought I was thinking of it. He always said it was more important for me to take care of myself and not worry about him. I sent money every couple of months and would get reprimanded for it, but of course, he did need it. If he didn't, then he deserved it for working so hard and for all he taught me about being a good person.
He keeps telling me to never mind, that he will save enough money to take the chef courses himself, but I know that will take years. I am so proud of what he has done already, that I want very much to help him realize his true dream.
With a certificate in Thai cuisine, I think the world will open up to him. His real dream is European cuisine, but that can come after he gets the opportunity to work outside Thailand and make some money.
I promised years ago that I would help him to enjoy a better life and am not worried about the expense. Whatever it costs is dwarfed by what he has given me.
I hope someone on this board knows of some chef training options. I have found one school, Wandee, on the internet, but am hopeful someone here has personal knowledge or can steer me down the right path to more information.
Thank you.

May 2nd, 2009, 09:16
The Cordon Bleu has a branch next to the Dusit Thani in Bangkok. I only mention this as you have stated that cost is not an issue. Yes, Thai food is part of their curriculum.

May 2nd, 2009, 11:47
I think you've found a real keeper.
And horse-shit to those that think Thai boys are nothing but liars and cheats.
In San Francisco we have a Culinary Acadamy that is second to none. If money is really no object check it out.
http://www.baychef.com/

Dboy
May 2nd, 2009, 14:37
I think you're doing a great thing! Niddy (of the famed "Niddy's Nook") was able to go to culinary school the same way you are describing...due to a kind farang. I believe he went to a school in Chiang Mai.

dboy

anakot
May 2nd, 2009, 14:39
... He is not, and never was, a money boy. He was an orphan who had not been able to finish high school but had a decent job.

Look there really is nothing wrong with being a 'money boy'. I am sure if most of the posters to this board were in the same situation (AND they were able to do so without frightening the buffaloes) they would do the same thing.... :colors:

mahjongguy
May 2nd, 2009, 15:41
Consider the The Royal Thai School of Culinary Arts, just outside Pattaya.
http://www.gourmetthailand.com/default.asp

lo-so
May 2nd, 2009, 17:33
I agree with Beach Bunny's suggestion at the Dusit - properly structured and accredited course but one that I would imagine to be bloody expensive. The tie in with Le Cordon Bleu might well assist him should he seek employment overseas. Good luck to you both.

krobbie
May 3rd, 2009, 17:05
I have just looked at the web site forthe Dusi Le Cordon Bleu and it looks very comprehensive, expensive but the real McCoy if your guy is serious about his career ambitions. I know it's aiming high but if he has the talent this is the place to hone it. They even have placement programmes.

www.dusit.com/en/corporate/about_us/le_cordon_bleu.html (http://www.dusit.com/en/corporate/about_us/le_cordon_bleu.html)

Good luck,
krobbie

May 3rd, 2009, 21:11
Thank you so much to all who have replied.
I have also been told by the Thai who owns a restaurant in my neighbourhood at home in Canada, that the Dusit course is a great way to go.
My friend tried contacting the school on the weekend, but no answer, so will try again Monday.
It does look like a great way to go.
He is very serious about his cooking and this really might open up some great opportunities for him.
He has an apartment in Bangkok, so a school in the Pattaya area would involve moving. I have my fingers crossed for the Dusit course.
I am sorry if it looked like I was disrespecting money boys. No such intention, as I have certainly known some wonderful guys who fall into that category, too.

May 4th, 2009, 01:50
I did send my BS to Wandee last year for a 1 month program, and we both were very happy about it. After graduation he was awarded a government issued certificate that he is a certified Thai cheff. And when he is not too lazy to cook for me when I am in Thailand, I can also certify that he truly is! The program is intense, and he also met with very nice mates while there, even they had a famous TV show host to take a class for 3 days with TV cameras all over the place! The school refer students to an apartment building across the street (in Saphan Kwai) for a stay where all inclusive room runs for approx 10,000BT/mo. I can highly recommend the school! Good luck!

May 4th, 2009, 13:14
Thanks for the help so far, but it appears that the Dusit Thani course does not have a section for learning Thai cuisine. French only.
My friend phoned them and was told they do not offer anything on Thai cooking. I checked online and found the same.
Wandee does look interesting. He will visit the school soon.
I had thought there might be a fair number of schools focusing on learning to cook Thai, but not much luck in finding them so far.
Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Jamez777
May 4th, 2009, 15:42
I will move to Thailand next year, so I'd be interested in enrolling in some cooking course to improve my way around food and the kitchen in general. I looked at courses offered by Royal Thai and while they look appealing, they also look quite costly, perhaps accommodation costs have been included as part of the tariff. Can anyone clarify this point ?

Assuming that prices at Royal Thai are high, does anyone know of any other venue that offers cookery lessons at an affordable cost ?? :salute:

May 4th, 2009, 20:51
The Royal Cliff offers a number of courses, mostly based on instruction and on the job training leading to recognised qualifications in return for cheap labour in the kitchen preparing food, etc. He may be a bit older than most, and probably over-qualified as a graduate, but it would be worth investigating; I would be surprised if there are not similar options in Bangkok hotels.

May 4th, 2009, 23:05
The Oriental has such a program, but it is very, very difficult to get into without some kind of connection. Then they basically use you for slave labor.