PDA

View Full Version : Thailand's gay monks given 'good manners' guide

elephantspike
May 1st, 2009, 08:16
From The Telegraph.co.uk website:

A Buddhist leader in Thailand has announced plans for a new set of guidelines to curb the behaviour of homosexual and transgender monks.

The "good manners" curriculum was devised to discourage monks from wearing make-up and tight robes.

More than 90 per cent of the Thai population are followers of Buddhism and most men spend at least one year in a monastery during their youth.

Phra Maha Wudhijaya Vajiramedhi, a senior monk, told the BBC the guidelines would address issues like smoking, drinking alcohol, walking and going to the toilet properly, which are all detailed in the traditional 75 Dharma principles of Buddhism, and the 227 precepts for monks.

But he was especially concerned, he said, by the flamboyant behaviour of homosexual and transgender monks, who can often be seen wearing revealing robes, carrying pink purses and sporting effeminately-shaped eyebrows.

Phra Vajiramedhi acknowledged that it was difficult to exclude transgender men from the monkhood but he hoped his course could at least persuade them to limit their more extrovert habits.

If successful, the "good manners" course, at the Novice Demonstration School, could be replicated at other Buddhist monasteries and seminaries, he said.

Tales of monks behaving badly are nothing new in Thailand.

In recent years, they have been accused of running fake amulet scams and violating their vows of celibacy, according to the BBC.

The guidelines will be introduced in the northern province of Chiang Rai.

Telegraph Article (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5233282/Thailands-gay-monks-given-good-manners-guide.html)

May 4th, 2009, 21:38
.....monks ... wearing make-up and tight robes.....homosexual and transgender monks, who can often be seen wearing revealing robes, carrying pink purses and sporting effeminately-shaped eyebrows.

Phra Maha Wudhijaya Vajiramedhi, director of the Vimuttayalaya Institute, has been known to have occasionally off-beat ideas. While I bow to his far greater knowledge of Buddhism than my own, I can only say that I have never seen the behaviour he suggests can "often be seen", and I think that there is as much truth in it as the suggestion that "most (Thai) men spend at least one year in a monastery during their youth" (the maximum, for "most" is far nearer to 90 days) or that there is any direct reference to smoking tobacco in the Buddha's teachings (it did not exist in the area 2,500 years ago) .

May 5th, 2009, 00:04

walking and going to the toilet properly,

If they are doing this at the same time, the course is urgently needed.

elephantspike
May 5th, 2009, 15:12

walking and going to the toilet properly,

If they are doing this at the same time, the course is urgently needed.

I know! Buddha forbid that they may attempt to chew gum, too! HaHa!

May 5th, 2009, 23:06
I'm waiting for the "Monks gone wild" DVD to be released :cheers:

Love is work and the world is an unemployment line.

р╕зр╕┤р╕Чр╕вр╣М

May 6th, 2009, 03:33
I'm waiting for the "Monks gone wild" DVD to be released :cheers:

р╕зр╕┤р╕Чр╕вр╣М

The saffron robe section on the recon fetish site is largely empty Wit. I'm sure you'll have lots of guys all to yourself when you make it to the big man_gogogogogo.

May 6th, 2009, 17:25
The saffron robe section on the recon fetish site is largely empty Wit. I'm sure you'll have lots of guys all to yourself when you make it to the big man_gogogogogo.

Got a link? :P

р╕зр╕┤р╕Чр╕вр╣М

Beachlover
June 14th, 2009, 12:58
I know this is a bad line of thought but I have always wondered what monks wear under their robes...?

Dboy
June 14th, 2009, 14:54
I know this is a bad line of thought but I have always wondered what monks wear under their robes...?

I figure it's an Austin Powers deal. Under their robe is...another robe. You know, eternal recurrence, circle of life. robe after robe to infinity.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Buddhism- ... 90972.html (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Buddhism-Infinity-t190972.html)

dboy