PDA

View Full Version : Civil Partnership UK

April 29th, 2009, 10:37
Hey Guys,

I'm a newbie so if i have posted in the wrong forum, i do appologise.

Ok, so me and my partner have been together for almost four years. I am 25 and he is 36. Out of those four years we have lived together in Thailand for about 3 and a half years. He is a Thai national, and i am british.

I am confused as how to apply for a civil partnership in the uk, I know it is not recognised in Thailand. He has been to the uk 3 times to visit on a tourist Visa, has his masters degree in Business and Marketing, and is the manager of production for a large import/export company that deals with worldwide brands of food products. (whether any of that helps i dont know)

So i was wondering if there are any oof you on here that have already gone through the processes of applying and going ahead with the civil partnership, and how you went about it? Its all so confusing for me its making my head spin.

I fly back to the uk today for 3 months (so sad right now) and think its the ideal time to put the wheels in motion.

any helpfull advice and info is much appreciated.
:smurf:

Marsilius
April 29th, 2009, 12:16
The UK General Register Office website is http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/civilpartnerships/ and it has all the necessary details. The section on "giving notice" has useful information for your specific requirements re. a Thai partner.

After 19 years together, my (English) partner and I took the plunge in April 2006 and we and our guests had a great day. The Civil Partnership officials who we encountered were all really positive and helpful.

And, three more years later (now 22 and counting) we are still together!

Brad the Impala
May 2nd, 2009, 23:59
You will also find a wealth of information at this site, and if you post in the forums you will get feedback from people with some expertise in this topic.

Uklgig (http://www.uklgig.org.uk)

May 7th, 2009, 00:58
If you have time to spare here, or he cannot get enough time off at one time in the UK (minimum 24 days, although you may get away with 17 under Scottish law) you could also by-pass the system and have the registration done at the British Embassy in Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi); you will need to stay in Vietnam (either North or South, not both) for 7 full days (effectively 9 nights) before applying to register, then for a day (2 nights) to register between 15 days and 3 months later. Very simple and very helpful - they even had a photographer who took photos inside the Embassy and e-mailed them to us!

May 8th, 2009, 22:48
you will need to stay in Vietnam (either North or South, not both) for 7 full days (effectively 9 nights)

A Vietnamese colleague is very insistent that there is only one Vietnam. Are British diplomats attempting to subvert that point of view, and for God's sake - why?

May 8th, 2009, 22:55
I understand that North Vietnam is lovely this time of year. Particularly the area near the Miramar border.

mj_87-old
May 8th, 2009, 23:52
I understand that North Vietnam is lovely this time of year. Particularly the area near the Miramar border.

The mairamarese? or are they back to being called the burmese?

No no no You silly rabbit - The North Vietnam/Miramar connection is that North Vietnam was bombed by carrier based aircraft that had been stationed at Miramar Naval Air Station oustide San Diego. Wasn't the carpet bombing campaign nicknamed "Reach out and Touch Someone"?

Americans can be quite literal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Cor ... on_Miramar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Corps_Air_Station_Miramar)

Now seriously which whitless fuck from this board thinks that either North or South Vietnam (have they gotten back together yet?) is anywhere near myanmar?

May 9th, 2009, 10:50
Perhaps the same witless fuck who thinks they are two countries, with two separate UK Embassies serving them (one in Ho Chi Minh City, one in Hanoi).

kittyboy
May 10th, 2009, 04:12
Perhaps the same witless fuck who thinks they are two countries, with two separate UK Embassies serving them (one in Ho Chi Minh City, one in Hanoi).

OK I guess I am just being thick headed today. Who could be so witless as to think that Vietnam is two separate countries and that at least one of those separate entities is flush up against the myanmar border? Ok let me guess are his initials...hmmm... let me guess....are his initials... Gone Fishing?

That is just a guess.

May 10th, 2009, 06:33

OK I guess I am just being thick headed today. Who could be so witless as to think that Vietnam is two separate countries and that at least one of those separate entities is flush up against the myanmar border? Ok let me guess are his initials...hmmm... let me guess....are his initials... Gone Fishing?

That is just a guess.

That is just a guess.

Well, we all know that GF speaks very authoritatively on many subjects and he may well be right that one, or indeed two, would require to have the same address during the seven day period mentioned, but since there has been no Embassy, merely a Consular Office, in Ho Chi Minh City during the period British Civil Partnerships have been available his information seems uncharacteristically flawed. I for one have always believed that he did his research reasonably thoroughly before posting his findings.

May 10th, 2009, 10:39
I for one have always believed that he did his research reasonably thoroughly before posting his findings.

Let me make a wild guess here: you still believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy, too...

May 10th, 2009, 22:17
A Vietnamese colleague is very insistent that there is only one Vietnam. Are British diplomats attempting to subvert that point of view, and for God's sake - why?

.....he may well be right that one, or indeed two, would require to have the same address during the seven day period mentioned, but since there has been no Embassy, merely a Consular Office, in Ho Chi Minh City during the period British Civil Partnerships have been available his information seems uncharacteristically flawed. I for one have always believed that he did his research reasonably thoroughly before posting his findings.

My mistake - technically I should have said the "Consulate" in Ho Chi Minh City, rather than Embassy, although it makes no practical difference to the details given.

The residence requirement is very clearly laid down in their joint web site ( http://ukinvietnam.fco.gov.uk/en/help-f ... rtnerships (http://ukinvietnam.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-vietnam/how-register-marriage/civil-partnerships) ), click on Guidance HCMC or Guidance Hanoi on the site for very easy to follow instructions. The requirement is not for "the same address" but is specifically for either the North or South of the country (eg "Both parties must reside for 7 clear days in the consular district of the British Embassy Hanoi (i.e. north and including Danang City)" or "Both parties must reside for 7 clear days in the consular district of the British Consulate General HCMC (i.e. southern Vietnam up to but not including Danang City)"; it simply concerns residing within the consular district for which they are responsible.

My "research" in this case was "reasonably thorough", consisting of my own Civil Partnership Registration in HCMC.