PDA

View Full Version : Banks charge 150 bht when using credit/debit cards

April 27th, 2009, 22:24
I know this subject has been covered on a current topic with the heading "outrages", but that to me is not a clear heading. Anyway, I noticed that whilst on a business trip now that debit cards (and I suspect credit cards) from the "Thailand end" are charging 150 bht, that's on top of any other charges that your originating bank charge. I did not notice other regional countries, such as Singapore, Malaysia doing the same thing. Even if you draw a minimum amount of, say, 2000 bht, you will automatically be charged 150 bht. The only way around this, in my opinion is to draw a large amount out, to minimise the cost.

However, I'm going back to using Travellers Cheques now, better rate, and overall better value.

April 27th, 2009, 22:36
Lets say you withdraw a common limit of about 18,000 baht or $500.

In Thailand 150/18000 typical = 0.83%
USA $1.25 (typical charge)/$500.00 = 0.25%

You can see how unreasonable the Thai charge (more than THREE times when you do a maximum) is. It really adds to total charges.

Anyway, my US based ATM card refunds service charges, however insignificant they really are.

TrongpaiExpat
April 27th, 2009, 23:16
I know this subject has been covered on a current topic with the heading "outrages", but that to me is not a clear heading.

I am beginning to wonder if anything is clear to you. It does not make much sense to me to start a new thread just because you don't like the title. Then you just state what everyone else has been saying about this new ATM fee without adding any new information or alternatives around this fee.

rincondog
April 28th, 2009, 11:37
I had posted information on this charge in early April, before its implementaion, however, maybe white desire didn't like my title either.

thai-banks-looking-to-atm-fees-t17527.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/thai-banks-looking-to-atm-fees-t17527.html)

I am presently in Phuket and I have not noticed the charge being applied here yet. Either that or it is totally hidden. NOthing under fee is printed on receipt or anything on the screen. Maybe the fee is slowly being applied around the country, anyone else notice no fee yet anywhere else in Thailand, by the way that is at K bank.

April 28th, 2009, 14:14
I think White Desire should change his underwear.

April 28th, 2009, 14:29
It's annoying, but, come on folks, people using credit cards and debit cards shouldn't be in an uproar about a $5 USD fee. however, it's good to know that i shouldn't just frivolously use cards for every little thing. it certainly isn't outrages... :compress:

vnman
April 28th, 2009, 14:40
What about paying with debit or credit cards?

bigben
April 29th, 2009, 00:07
If this has been posted somewhere already.... Sooooooooooo Sooooooory

Today April 28, 2009 at about 3 PM, I made a withdrawal using my overseas ATM card using a Bangkok Bank ATM machine.

After punching in my oh so secret PIN number and punching in the amount I wanted the last splash screen shown before it spit out the gray notes was:

There is an additional 150 baht fee that will be deducted from your account if you wish to proceed press yes, or something like that.

Pressed yes, and I got all the money I requested and on the receipt it shows the 150 baht FUF* fee had been deducted from my account.

Are all banks applying the FUF* fee I wonder?

* FU^^ YOU FARANG

thrillbill
April 29th, 2009, 05:53
The 150 baht charge as you know is for ATM cards that are from overseas banks. The "local" ATM cards (meaning from the Thai banks) charge from 20-25 baht per transaction. True, people can withdraw a large amount but let's face it, we feel safer by taking out small amounts than having large sums laying around, even if it's in a hotel room safe.

Smiles
April 29th, 2009, 05:54
Yes, it has been posted somewhere else (read the thread << its-outrages-t17607.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/its-outrages-t17607.html) >>), and no, apparently all banks are not in lock step on the 150 baht fee yet. But rest easy, they soon will be.
For instance, apparently Kasikorn Bank is still not putting on the new ATM-use fee. But even that could change tomorrow.

TrongpaiExpat
April 29th, 2009, 10:54
On Silom all around BTS there are 5 different bank ATM's, so I decided to try them all and see which ones were not yet charging the 150B fee. The first 4 gave me the warning,"do you accept the 150B charge" I pressed "no" and went on to the next. By the time I got to Kasikorn Bank the card was rejected at my bank. I called the home bank and they said it showed 4 self aborted attempts at a withdrawal all in a short time, so the computer flagged that as suspicious and put a security hold on the card. You just can't win.

Beachlover
April 29th, 2009, 11:20
It used to cost $20 to $40 to transfer funds from an overseas bank. Being able to do it cheaply with an ATM is pretty good.

I think the increased fees just mean people won't withdrawl money from the ATM as frequently... just take out $1,000 or something at a time.

lonelywombat
April 29th, 2009, 17:52
if you are drawing your months pension of say 12,000 baht at 3000 baht per week it is a lot.

Sorry KK

If you are withdrawing 20,000 for a weeks entertainment it is not a hassle. you probably spill more in one night

If your pension is 12,000 , 15,000 or more per month, save by withdrawing the lot

Only a person with the arse out of their pants would make a song and dance about this

pong
April 29th, 2009, 19:56
withdrawing big sums also has a daily limit-this will be set by your bank/card-and also by the technical limits of the Thai ATM-this was also discussed some time ago-If i remember well-its like max. 20 notes for 1 turn-so if that ATM's does not happen to stock any grey 1000s-and just purple 500s-that means 10.000 THB or about 210тВм now. If your daily limit for withdrawal is higher-this will then still mean you have to do more as 1 turn-and adding 150THB for every turn (if that particular bank of course now applies it). Even if itstocks 20.000THB-thats about 600US$

quiet1
April 29th, 2009, 21:36
I do one big SWIFT transfer per year at the time I need to qualify for my retirement extension with Immigrations, but before I began to do that, I always preferred to do a cash advance at the counter. Are there any service charges on cash advances these days?

April 29th, 2009, 22:25
I don't believe what I am reading in your thread Romania, but

I used TCs originally because they were exceptional good value with a better rate, but found it EVEN better value when I started using the Nationwide Flexaccount Card. Now, the Nationwide Flexaccount Card in Thailand the Thai Banks (most of them) charge 150 bht per transaction, therefore, it works out far more expensive using the "card" especially when one draws around 5000 bht out at a time.

On top of that, Nationwide are going to charge 0.84% for transactions on their "card".

I hope that explains to you in detail and the "simple" logical reason why to use TCs.

April 30th, 2009, 02:38
The cost of a 10,000 baht withdrawal from a typical UK bank = 150 baht (1.5%)+2.75% service charge + exchange rate spread -ie 4.25% + exchange rate spread. This is a VERY expensive way of getting at your money & logically should be avoided wherever possible.

Even from the Nationwide this would now be about 2.5%+ exchange rate spread, ie 2.5% worse than last year.

April 30th, 2009, 09:06
I used a Kasikorn ATM to withdraw 20,000 baht with my Canadian Debit Card 2 days ago. My Canadian Bank shows the usual $5 withdrawal charge for out of Country use, no sign of the 150 baht yet.

bigben
April 30th, 2009, 09:53
Has anyone heard or have any idea why the banks have decided to put an additional charge on the use of an out of country ATM card?

--Inflation?

--Cost of the actual transaction with overseas banks?

--An increase of long distance telephone line service overseas?

--Or just another FUF (F*ck U Farang) method of extracting the all mighty baht from the all mighty farang.

This question may have been answered on the GT or the Pink Passion site, but I don't waste my time reading those sites with the current idiot moderators they have over there. And before someone says the questions have been answered on those two useless sites....save your breath because I really don't give a rats azz.

Ok, let me tell you how I really feel..... :pukeright: :pukeright:

April 30th, 2009, 14:56
--Or just another FUF (F*ck U Farang) method of extracting the all mighty baht from the all mighty farang.

I wasn't aware that the surchage applied only to farangs. How fascinating!

bigben
April 30th, 2009, 18:41

Most Thai nationals do not have an ATM card issued from another country so the extra charge would not apply.

I think my post was fairly clear to most adults.

Now skip along sonny and go play somewhere else. :clown: :clown: :clown:

April 30th, 2009, 19:41

Most Thai nationals do not have an ATM card issued from another country so the extra charge would not apply.

I think my post was fairly clear to most adults.

Now skip along sonny and go play somewhere else. :clown: :clown: :clown:

So it doesn't apply to Japanese, Koreans, Arabs, Indians, and blacks...just farangs? Wow.

This insight into the banks' racist policies is absolutely fascinating to me.

May 1st, 2009, 02:14
Has anyone heard or have any idea why the banks have decided to put an additional charge on the use of an out of country ATM card?

Because their banking cartel has decided it's a good way to make money & they have almost nothing to lose.