PDA

View Full Version : Its outrages!!! 150 baht, To collect my own cash ?

April 25th, 2009, 15:50
If the banks want to con people in creating fake paper money, with no cash to back it up. Its up to them, until they get caught.

If the Governments want to be black mailed and agree to bail out the Banks, as they say if you donтАЩt bail us out, over 2.5 million will have to be made redundant, something Governments around the world could not allow to happen, especially after being elected on the grounds of keeping jobs and creating new ones, so they give banks the money, that the banks sold on paper, with nothing to back it up, plus taking Bonuses.

But now they have made all this free money, after pulling off the biggest heist ever, now I go to my account here, put in my bank card to collect some of my UK golden nest egg, where I loose a 1/3 if I bring it over here, as from today, I am now told, not only is my UK Bank taking 1.99 pounds, Now Thailand have taken not 30 baht, but 150 baht. every time I draw money.

ItтАЩs amazing to me, we have got such clout as a Gays and bi-sexual, cant we all boycott these banks and show them, we are just not going to be robbed as well as they have robbed governments around the world.

Is no one going to stand up to these banks, if the governments are afraid to, the people must. :angryfire:

April 25th, 2009, 16:25
It does not matter how much money you have or donтАЩt have, we are all being robbed, who is going to stand up to these thieves.

Wow itтАЩs not like you to sit on the fence FATTMAN, of course not if you sat on the fence you world BREAK IT.

TOQ
April 25th, 2009, 18:27
I was under the impression that that charge was suppose to start on the 16th of this month. I have drawn money twice now with a non Thai check card and have not been charged.. I used a Kasiskorn Atm both times.

john

painai2
April 25th, 2009, 18:52
I think they have to reset the atms . That's what happened to a friend trying to use the an atm at TukCom. No fee--until 2 days ago, the 150р╕┐ fee started appearing. At least it advises you of the charge, asking if you want to proceed or cancel the transaction.

April 25th, 2009, 19:13
FATTMAN, of course not if you sat on the fence you world BREAK IT.

Don't read too much into a username old chap. I happen to be rather less obese than you.

I'm fat, I.m and old man, how dare you fattman I resemble that remark :cherry:

Yes no matter when it is coming in, of if it has, dont you think its day light robbery. no mention of the reasoning behind it, why now when the maket need a boost, not to rob from it?

April 25th, 2009, 19:40
ItтАЩs amazing to me, we have got such clout as a Gays and bi-sexual, cant we all boycott these banks and show them, we are just not going to be robbed as well as they have robbed governments around the world.

Is no one going to stand up to these banks, if the governments are afraid to, the people must. :angryfire:

Let's all meet at the Bangkok Bank Head Office on Silom at 10am on Monday morning and go into the lobby and SCREAM and SCREAM and flounce up and down. That's the behaviour that gays are meant to display.
That should really make a difference to their policy!

April 25th, 2009, 20:16
I think K.K. must be making a joke.... I hope

TrongpaiExpat
April 25th, 2009, 20:44
I think K.K. must be making a joke.... I hope

LTMU/KK is a joke but this is not.
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Banks-Start-Charging-Atm-Wit-t255263.html

jolyjacktar
April 25th, 2009, 21:26
Never bring cards only one card for emergencys, always take cash and change at airport. Never lost or had any stolen yet and ive been going to Thailand now for 16 yrs. What puts me off is when i go to my UK building soc. and they tell me that Thailand is one of the top 5 countries for card and credit fraud in the world. I will stick to bringing cash i think.

April 26th, 2009, 00:58
What wanted to say - and did not do effectively - is that I hope K.K.'s passion around banking fees is a joke and that he has better places to direct his considerable energy. But we all have our particular windmills, so who am I to judge and to each is own. I suppose K.K. is my windmill today... :flower:

giggsy
April 26th, 2009, 03:03

Let's all meet at the Bangkok Bank Head Office on Silom at 10am on Monday morning and go into the lobby and SCREAM and SCREAM and flounce up and down. That's the behaviour that gays are meant to display.
That should really make a difference to their policy!

it worked for the red shirts and the yellow shirts,,,why not for the pink shirts ?

April 26th, 2009, 03:52
How is this system of charging u a fee of 150bht going to work , do u get less than u have asked for or will it be added to the amount u draw

HawaiiBoy
April 26th, 2009, 06:41
Here is how I get around paying fees.
I got a Thai banking account (savings) so it gets a little interest.
I buy $500 denomination American Express Travelers Checks at no fee to bring to Thailand with me.
I exchange them at the premium rate and deposit to my Thai bank account.
Withdrawals are free as long as I use my bank's ATM.

Smiles
April 26th, 2009, 07:08
Here is how I get around paying fees. I got a Thai banking account (savings) so it gets a little interest. I buy $500 denomination American Express Travelers Checks at no fee to bring to Thailand with me.
I exchange them at the premium rate and deposit to my Thai bank account. Withdrawals are free as long as I use my bank's ATM.
Exactly what I do every year, right down to the $500 TC denomination.

The different problem for myself is that I live for 8 months in Thailand and would really not want to put such a large amount in a Thai bank (i.e. enough to cover expenses for the whole 8 months) ... it really does leave one vulnerable to currency fluctuations (downward that is) which are not usually so much a part of the equation when on holiday. However, with these hefty new bank fees I'll probably think of depositing quite a bit more into my Thai account than I normally would.

By April 17 with the Canadian account I use to funnel money into Thailand the off-the-top costs of ATM withdrawal would be: Exchange rate + $5 fee on Canadian end + 150 baht on Thai end + probably some smaller fess I can't recall + future ripoffs as the banks attempt to recoup recession related screwups :joker:
Looking around for a Better Way.

TOQ
April 26th, 2009, 11:38
I was thinking of doing a wire transfer 3 times a year.. With Citi Bank it is $20 for international transfer. Cheaper that way for me.

john

TrongpaiExpat
April 26th, 2009, 12:27
This has been posted before and there's posts on Thai Visa but worth repeating, Bangkok Bank has a NY branch that accepts ACH transfers from US banks without wire transfer fees. You transfer like any US to US bank on-line with the ABA and your account number. Each bank has somewhat their own system of setting this up, but it's easy. Some make two small trial transfers to set up the account and you have to activate by entering the amounts but you have to convert from baht to dollars at the correct exchange rate.

Open an account with Bangkok Bank and set up an automatic monthly transfer or do it at will and use the Thai Bank card at Bangkok Bank ATM free of fees.

Now, If your a visitor, reports vary on the ability to open a Thai bank account. It also seems that different branches interpret their rules differently, so move on to the next if your getting problems and try not to look like a thief.

I just used the TMB ATM at Silom and got the 150B notice. Yesterday I used Bangkok Bank and no 150B notice, no charge I assume? I bet all the ATM's will be reprogrammed very soon with this 150B charge.

Being forced to make larger withdrawals will make the pickpocket artists happy.

April 27th, 2009, 09:25
I see no problem with the banks charging money for International Transfers. Why shouldn't they? I have been using Bangkok Bank for several years and they have not charged me one baht. It has been a "freebie" and although I would prefer they stay that way I can find no realistic reason to complain of a 150 baht (approx. US$4.25) charge for international transfers.

An 8 oz. bottle of water cost about 10 baht but at most restaurants the charge is 20-50 baht and at bars a lot more. I am not complaining about that either.

When I was a tourist I used Amex travel checks and never had any problems. If you do find a need for ATM withdrawals and are concerned about your safety regarding "pick-pockets" I would suggest using an atm at Lotus or Big C which has a money-deposit ATM next to the withdrawal ATM.

TrongpaiExpat
April 27th, 2009, 11:15
I see no problem with the banks charging money for International Transfers. Why shouldn't they? I have been using Bangkok Bank for several years and they have not charged me one baht.

Spoken like a true capitalist. There is a fee, Bangkok Bangkok was 30B, it's hidden. Also they make money with the rate of exchange. Then your home bank can tack on additional charges.

By the way, I just checked my US bank and there's a 150B service charge from Bangkok Bank and the ATM did not give me a notice when I made the withdrawal. So, what used to be 30B is now 150, not in addition to, it appears. At least my US bank does not apply additional charges and/or an international transaction fee, for now.

You anti-capitalists can go back to keeping your money in mayonnaise jars, just be sure to remove the mayonnaise first.

Lunchtime O'Booze
April 27th, 2009, 16:42
these bank fees are rising everywhere around the world and it's only now we notice because they are having to post it at the atm.

I'm with Ben and I reckon we should all SCREAM and SCREAM. Lets all be SCREAMING QUEENS..not just about banks but everything. Let's FLOUNCE, SCREAM and bang anyone nearby with HANDBAGS I say...and yes, let's wear pink t-shirts as well.(and fishnets would look good too). The one problem would be of course..as Lonely Wombat will confirm, we'd be just as likely to be mistaken for a normal heterosexual Australian businessman.

Alternatively..I suggest you all give your cash to me to look after and I'l kept it under my queen sized bed.

April 27th, 2009, 17:48
we'd be just as likely to be mistaken for a normal heterosexual Australian businessman.

or a member of the House of Lords

April 28th, 2009, 01:36
150 baht!!! That's ┬г3, which I believe is totally unreasonable.

One more reason to bring a big wedge of cash.

Now what are the Thai bank charges like if I open an account?

Brad the Impala
April 28th, 2009, 02:00
One more reason to bring a big wedge of cash.

Now what are the Thai bank charges like if I open an account?

I think that most will receive your big wedge!

April 28th, 2009, 05:59
Is current account banking normally free?

April 28th, 2009, 09:47
Current accounts also often don't pay any interest, if that's a concern. Actually, it's probably not a concern since savings accounts are paying close to nothing as it is these days.

TrongpaiExpat
April 28th, 2009, 11:15
I have a Bangkok Bank saving account with an ATM. The bank does an initial one time charge of 200B. For some reason I get interest, not much but it gets credited to my account. I might have opened the account when they were giving farangs interest some time ago.

Unlimited free ATM usage from Bangkok Bank ATM's. If I use another bank 30B charge and since it was open in Bangkok (Silom) if I use a Bangkok Bank outside of Bangkok there's a 30B fee. So, if your one of these Thailand = Pattaya persons, open an account in Pattaya.

I have heard some reports of Bangkok Bank getting picky about opening accounts for farangs with tourist visas and many of you visit on a 30 day stamp which is not a visa. Even for the O-A visa holders and work visas they are asking for a lot of documents and plan on spending some time a the bank to open an account.

Take a look at the banking section on Thai Visa for more information. It's confusing in that there's little consistency between banks and even between branches.

April 28th, 2009, 14:07
Foreigners (I use the word foreigner, rather than "farang", because I assume that's what you meant) aren't supposed to get interest?

April 30th, 2009, 19:17
How to Avoid the ATM Withdrawal Fee in Thailand
The new ATM fees mean that visitors to Thailand could save money by altering their habits. One option is to withdraw money over the counter inside the bank rather than at the ATM. In addition to your card you will also need your passport and some Thai banks may impose a limit on the amount you can withdraw in one transaction. Another alternative is Travellers Cheques. They have fallen out of favour in recent years, but they can prove a useful back-up. Thai banks typically charge a fee of around 30 to 35 Baht to cash each Travellers Cheque.

Check your Home Bank many are also charging 1. 99 pounds for the same transaction.
To avoid any nasty surprises, always check with your bank the amount they charge for using your card overseas. This applies not just to ATM withdrawals, but also to credit and debit card purchases and cash advances. These will all normally attract a fee which is applied by your own bank in your home country. These bank charges applied by your home bank are separate to the 150 Baht ATM fee that is being applied by Thai banks.

Are All Thai Banks Charging for ATM Withdrawals?
The Thai BankersтАЩ Association has a pool of members which covers the main banks in Thailand and so it is going to be difficult for overseas visitors to avoid the fees at ATM machines. In theory, banks that are charging the 150 Baht withdrawal fee should pre-advise you on the ATM screen after you have entered your card details.

Travellers Cheques
They may not be too fashionable these days, but I think it can be useful to have at least a small amount of money in travellers cheques. If for no other reason than to have an emergency standby should anything happen to your credit or debit cards. If you donтАЩt use the the cheques, they can be paid into your home bank account or exchanged back for cash. The usual advice applies about keeping the receipt separate from the cheques and not storing them with your passport.

When changing travellers cheques at a Thai bank or exchange bureau you will need to present your passport and sign the cheque in front of the bank official. A small charge is applied (approximately 33 Baht) for each cheque changed.

Brad the Impala
May 1st, 2009, 05:09
Another unacknowledged Cut and Paste from the Master.

May 1st, 2009, 09:48
Anyone know what the banks in the US, UK, Australia, etc. charge for an ATM withdrawal off a foreign bank?

May 1st, 2009, 09:50
look at http://www.thaivisa.com and you will be informed better.

May 1st, 2009, 09:52
You mean that somewhere out there is a domain where the posters are better informed than the ones here?

Is Bob the visa and work permit expert handing out advice over there? Do they have a good guide to crossing the Burmese border in Chiang Mai, at the town of Mae Sot?

May 1st, 2009, 10:03
in fact beach bunny they are, not a lot of queers like here, not that I dont mind, but there are 26 pages discussing this. :joker:
And from there I know how to cross the border in Mae Sot :flower:

May 1st, 2009, 12:03
Anyone know what the banks in the US, UK, Australia, etc. charge for an ATM withdrawal off a foreign bank?

My bank in Australia charges me $5 AUD - about 125B - to withdraw cash using an ATM here, they then add a 2.5% foreign currency conversion fee on top of that - 500B. So about 625B each time. The 150B charged by the Thai bank here doesnt seem so bad in comparison. So I only ever withdraw 20,000B at a time. At least my cash sitting in the bank back in Australia is earning some interest, so I think I am better off doing it like this rather than transferring a big lump of cash with a wire transfer. Anyway, I think the variations in the exchange rate have more effect than any of the bank charges.

May 1st, 2009, 20:28
What does your bank charge for withdrawals made by an out-of-country ATM card, though? That's what we're looking to compare.

May 1st, 2009, 20:32
[quote="Beach Bunny":iomeo9xg] Anyway, I think the variations in the exchange rate have more effect than any of the bank charges.[/quote:iomeo9xg]

Paying the market exchange rate is generally beyond our control & in any case is actually what the average of all the currency traders in the world think is a correct exchange rate.

On the other hand, losing 4~5% of everything I spend just because it's withdrawn via an ATM would be a very careless way to manage my finances & is avoidable by bringing cash. I'll keep the ATMs for emergencies only on the next trip, if the charge is 150 baht.

May 4th, 2009, 09:19
The Thai Bankers Association are having second thoughts about the 150 baht charge, according to the Bangkok Post today.
seems they are suggesting to review the amount of the charge rather than dropping it altogether.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/economics/16138/banks-asked-to-cut-foreigners-atm-fees

TrongpaiExpat
May 4th, 2009, 22:01
Good for the Bangkok Post. They actually challenged a Thai official playing the blame the farangs card, Master Card that is.

Bangkok Post Poll (http://www.bangkokpost.com/poll/1307/aaaaaaaaaaa)

15% believe the TBA secretary general? Who's padding the votes, Toni6969 thinking he's voting for El Duo?