PDA

View Full Version : Swine Flu - Will it affect Thailand?

April 25th, 2009, 14:41
Now I know, believe me, that Thailand IsN't Iowa, but I was wondering, in light of the current swine flu outbreak in North America (now reached as far as Ottawa), if pig farming is popular in Thailand, and what might be the ramifications should this recent plague spred here?

Pigs Often Infect Farmers, Meatpackers
Saturday, April 25, 2009

Pigs have their own versions of influenza, and studies of farmers and meatpackers suggest that the animals fairly regularly infect people.

Swine Flu Found in Mexican Outbreak
Health Officials on Alert for Swine Flu
Pigs Often Infect Farmers, Meatpackers

Pigs play an important role in the origin of pandemics because they can be infected by both bird and human strains of flu virus. Consequently, they can serve as "mixing vessels" in which different viruses can combine to form new and potentially dangerous strains.

In most cases, the transmission involves common pig flu that does not go beyond the person who had contact with the animal. But in a few, there is evidence of secondary human-to-human transmission -- which appears to be happening in California and Mexico.

"I suspect that there has been a lot of transmission of swine influenza, causing mild disease in the United States, for a number of years," said Gregory C. Gray, a physician who heads the Center for Emerging Infectious Diseases at the University of Iowa.

In August 2007, about 25 people and 160 pigs developed flu at a county fair in Ohio. Analysis showed they were infected with the same strain -- an H1N1 type containing genes of human, bird and swine origin.

A 2004 study found that in Iowa, 20 percent of swine veterinarians and 3 percent of meatpackers, but no university workers, had antibodies in their blood indicating they had been infected with swine flu.

Another study, of 804 rural Iowans, found that pig farmers were 50 times more likely, and their spouses about 30 times more likely, than university workers to carry swine flu antibodies. The researchers think that in many cases the spouses were infected by their partners.

Washington Post
4 hours ago

April 25th, 2009, 20:47
It has been rumoured that a couple of falangs in Pattaya prefer to barbecue business partners rather than pigs....... :cheers:

AKAHagrid-old
April 25th, 2009, 23:19
Especially a carrier who has a predilection to cuddle the very young residents of Sunee which many seem to have as their sole aim in life.

For those of you keeping score at home, Romania was able to turn this completely unrelated topic into an anti-pede comment in only two turns. Congratulations, Romania! Now, polish up those white loafers, grab your silk purse, and priss off.

Khor tose
April 26th, 2009, 00:31
Yes, the new flu worries me. Have you seen downtown LA recently?

HawaiiBoy
April 26th, 2009, 06:50
You (all) have been focusing on the Swine part of the name of the flu strain. The involvement of a porker took place some time in the past. This strain has a DNA combination of Swine, Bird and Human in its virus and can be transmitted human to human. So far, no vaccine has been developed, though it is responding to TamiFlu which mitigates the symptoms.

So the problem is not proximity to pig farms or piglets. Transmission will be around the globe by humans, probably mostly tourists, flying country to country. While the advice to wash ones hands frequently might sound silly to the uninformed, the facts are that germ covered hands will be the most likely means of transmission.

lonelywombat
April 26th, 2009, 10:17
This latest report was posted as breaking news was posted just after midnightGMT sunday

http://www.theage.com.au/world/mexico-r ... -aj54.html (http://www.theage.com.au/world/mexico-races-to-stop-deadly-flu-global-fears-spread-20090426-aj54.html)

April 26th, 2009, 17:46
if pig farming is popular in Thailand, and what might be the ramifications

I saw a picture of a very "porky" MIB (man in brown) on the Bangkok post front page within the last couple of days. I found it hard to believe he was a traffic policeman, or at least one that actually directed traffic.

Apparently the pandemic has spread across the world already. From the BBC ...
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8019100.stm

Mexican authorities have taken drastic measures to contain a new strain of the swine flu virus that has killed 81 and prompted fears of a global pandemic.

People are being urged to stay at home and maintain strict personal hygiene. Many schools, public buildings, bars and restaurants have been closed.

Non-fatal cases have been confirmed in the US and are likely in New Zealand.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has confirmed that at least some of the cases are a new strain of the virus.

SWINE FLU
Swine flu is a respiratory disease found in pigs
Human cases usually occur in those who have contact with pigs
Human-to-human transmission is rare and such cases are closely monitored

H1N1 is the same strain that causes seasonal flu outbreaks in humans, but the newly detected version contains genetic material from versions of flu which usually affect pigs and birds.

The respiratory virus - which infects pigs but only sporadically humans - is spread mainly through coughs and sneezes.

The WHO has warned the virus has the potential to become a pandemic.

Suspected outbreaks

Although all of the deaths so far have been in Mexico, the flu is spreading in the United States and suspected cases have been detected elsewhere:

Eleven confirmed infections in the US

In addition, eight suspected cases are being investigated at a New York City high school where about 200 students fell mildly ill with flu-like symptoms

Ten New Zealand students are among a group which travelled to Mexico have tested positive for influenza A - making it "likely", though not definite, that they are infected with swine flu, said Health Minister Tony Ryall

In France, a top health official told Le Parisien newspaper there were unconfirmed suspicions that two individuals who had just returned from Mexico may be carrying the virus

But a UK hospital conducting tests for swine flu on a British Airways cabin crew member said the tests proved negative.

Mexico shutdown

The Mexican government, which has faced criticism for what some see as a slow reaction to this outbreak, is now taking an increasingly hard line to try to contain the virus, says the BBC's Stephen Gibbs in Mexico City.

Public buildings have been closed and hundreds of public events suspended. It's eerily quiet here in the capital. Lots of people with masks

Schools in and around Mexico City have been closed until 6 May, and some 70% of bars and restaurants in the capital have been temporarily closed.

People are being strongly urged to avoid shaking hands, and the US embassy has advised visitors to the country to keep at least six feet (1.8m) from other people.

Mexico's Health Secretary, Jose Cordova, said a total of 1,324 people had been admitted to hospital with suspected symptoms since 13 April and were being tested for the virus.

PANDEMIC CRITERIA
Virus can infect people
It can easily spread person-to-person
No immunity in humans

"In that same period, 81 deaths were recorded probably linked to the virus but only in 20 cases we have the laboratory tests to confirm it," he said.

Mexico's President Felipe Calderon has announced emergency measures to deal with the situation.

They include powers to isolate individuals suspected of having the virus without fear of legal repercussions.

In Mexico, face masks are handed out, while the head of the WHO voices concern

'International concern'

In the US, seven people in California, two people in Texas, and two people in Kansas have been infected with the new strain.

Authorities around the world are increasingly vigilant

In New York, city health commissioner Dr Thomas Frieden said preliminary tests conducted on the ailing students showed they were possible cases of swine flu.

Further tests will clarify if it was the same strain that was detected in the other three states.

Following a meeting of its emergency committee on Saturday, the WHO said the virus had the potential to become a pandemic but it was too early to say whether that would happen.

FLU PANDEMICS
1918: The Spanish flu pandemic remains the most devastating outbreak of modern times - infecting up to 40% of the world's population and killing more than 50m people, with young adults particularly badly affected

1957: Asian flu killed two million people. Caused by a human form of the virus, H2N2, combining with a mutated strain found in wild ducks. The elderly were particularly vulnerable

1968: An outbreak first detected in Hong Kong, and caused by a strain known as H3N2, killed up to one million people globally, with those over 65 most likely to die

WHO Director General Margaret Chan said recent events constituted "a public health emergency of international concern" and that countries needed to co-operate in heightening surveillance.

The WHO is advising all countries to be vigilant for seasonally unusual flu or pneumonia-like symptoms among their populations - particularly among young healthy adults, a characteristic of past pandemics.

Officials said most of those killed so far in Mexico were young adults - rather than more vulnerable children and the elderly.

There is currently no vaccine for the new strain but severe cases can be treated with antiviral medication.

It is unclear how effective currently available flu vaccines would be at offering protection against the new strain, as it is genetically distinct from other flu strains.

April 27th, 2009, 09:10
As Hawaiiboy said, it is a new strain and does not need pigs to transmit it. If it starts to spread and it looks like it has - 20 confirmed cases in the US so far - many countries will put in medical controls at their borders. This is part of the WHO's recommended plan of action. Airtravel and tourism will nosedive. Thailand looks like it may have yet another crisis on top of existing unsolved crises.

krobbie
April 27th, 2009, 09:50
It will arrive in Thailand soon if not already from air crew/flight crew or passengers from who have been through Mexico recently (April 13>).

In New Zealand yesterday 16 school kids and the teachers and parents who accompanied them to Mexico have been identified as having this Swine Flu virus. The party was in Mexico as part of the Spanish Speaking curriculum for this year. Students from 15 - 18 years traveled during the school holidays, which ended here yesterday (Sunday).

The current flu vaccine for ordinary annual flu shots has two Type A Influenza strain vaccines within the mixture, so if anyone has already had their flu vaccination for the Southern Hemisphere Winter, should they catch it, at least it may not be life threatening. Obviously right now scientists are busily trying to find out exactly what its make up is other than the broad human/pig/bird (another A strain) cross mentioned.

This new Swine Flu is said to be very easily spread unlike the Bird Flu which could be isolated and contained. As this new virus has already spread far and wide it is said that a pandemic is a likely case scenario. Be warned!

Fortunately I had my southern Winter flu vaccination three weeks ago but I rang my doctors surgery this morning to inquire as to how protected I might be. I was told there is no vaccine identified for this strain anywhere yet. The Tami Flu (also Type A) mix may do the job but it still hasn't been announced as fact.

Having said that, I hope we all continue our good health.

cheers
krobbie

Beachlover
April 28th, 2009, 18:07
Damn... this is a bit screwed up.

I hear there's a significant mortality rate amongst young, fit, healthy people too. Not good.

Guess we'll need to stay healthy and watch the hygiene!

It'll reach Thailand soon enough... Bankgok is an international transit point.

April 28th, 2009, 20:13
Its a Bit late it has arrived in Thailand already.

"A 42-year-old Thai woman returning from Mexico was suspected to have contracted swine influenza and is being quarantined at the Chulalongkorn Hospital, sources said.

The sources said the woman returned from Mexico early this month and became six [sic]

She was admitted to the hospital Tuesday."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakin ... antined-at (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...-quarantined-at)

krobbie
April 29th, 2009, 02:32
I see Bangkok Post and Pattaya Daily News have finally caught up with the rest of the world after yesterday having lead articles both regarding the Swine Flu and produce/meat imports. Unfortunately they hadn't read all the data available that said it had nothing to do with transfer from food at all. How embarrassing.

Seems todays front pages have finally got it right and the heat sensing imaging systems in place at Suvarnabhumi Airport and the "War room" being set up by the government to syncronize efforts to combat the spread of this Swine flu is as much as can done currently. This is all that can be achieved anywhere in the world until someone comes up with a vaccine for this specific strain. TamiFlu is specific for Bird Flu but as it is a type A influenza vaccine that it may be used ubtil a more specific one is created. The WHO must be cracking the whip and have got scientists world-wide onto this.

I wish them luck. This thing seems to be particularly virulent and I think it's going to around awhile. It might behove us to get TamiFlu shots to lessen the chances of a worst case scenario when this flu is caught.

Stay well,
krobbie

April 29th, 2009, 07:11
It might behove us to get TamiFlu shots to lessen the chances of a worst case scenario when this flu is caught.

Not to nit pik, krobbie, but Tamilflu is available as capsules or an oral suspension, but not a shot.

April 29th, 2009, 07:23
Perhaps a more interesting question is not "Will swine flu affect Thailand?" but rather, "Will swine flu affect what you do in Thailand?"

I'm still scheduled to fly to BKK next week and have no intention of cancelling. It would be a real bummer however to spend the first 10 days of my vacation quarantined if some passenger on my flight has a fever and causes a panic.

April 29th, 2009, 07:31
Sex-Flu affect Thailand long time ago and it never been gone !

Swine and pigs i have seen so many but what can affect Thailand more than the Russen ? :clown:

giggsy
April 29th, 2009, 07:47
gra thinks he might have swine flu he has come out in rashers but i think he is just telling porkies
he went to the doctor and got some oinkment

what happens if a jewish person contracts it. will it be kosher ?

April 29th, 2009, 08:17
what happens if a jewish person contracts it. will it be kosher ?

Jewish wedding

will it be kosher

No ! :clown:

krobbie
April 29th, 2009, 11:55
It might behove us to get TamiFlu shots to lessen the chances of a worst case scenario when this flu is caught.

Not to nit pik, krobbie, but Tamilflu is available as capsules or an oral suspension, but not a shot.

Another case of a little information being a dangerous thing. Thanks for correcting me on that. Obviously In had no idea and just assumed it was the same as my general flu vaccination ie. injection. Oops! :thumbleft:

Have now looked at Tamiflu web site and got the low-down.

krobbie

maisoui
April 29th, 2009, 13:15
According to a colleague who should know, this strain of flu is has a very old base and she thinks that the elderly will have built resistance to it, so Pattaya should be fine.

April 29th, 2009, 19:03
According to a colleague who should know, this strain of flu is has a very old base and she thinks that the elderly will have built resistance to it, so Pattaya should be fine.

This is the Information you have all been waiting for to lets say get things in perspective.

vnman
April 29th, 2009, 19:33
yeez, they even managed to make those 3 little piggies look evil...those eyes :shaking:

April 30th, 2009, 04:44
Is tamiflu obtainable in thailand?

Smiles
April 30th, 2009, 08:41
For those who enjoy freaking out, panicikng, and generally worrying about everything, the World Health Organization in the last few hours has ramped up the medical alert level to 5 . . . only one level below the highest, which would be a 6 ... i.e. an official world pandemic. << http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/ ... 2820090429 (http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE53N22820090429) >>

Apocolyptists (sp?), Bipolarists, and Revelationists please take note ... your ship is 'IN'.

April 30th, 2009, 08:50
Is tamiflu obtainable in thailand?

Have they even said that tamiflu is effective?

April 30th, 2009, 11:11
Have they even said that tamiflu is effective?

From a Bloomberg News article (credit: John Lauerman):

"Q: Are there drugs that treat swine flu? A: Roche Holding AGтАЩs Tamiflu and GlaxoSmithKline PlcтАЩs Relenza both react against swine flu. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is releasing 25 percent of its stockpile of Tamiflu and Relenza, according to Secretary Janet Napolitano. Flu viruses sometimes develop resistance to antiviral drugs. The human form of H1N1 thatтАЩs currently circulating is resistant to RocheтАЩs Tamiflu (not Relenza). If the two viruses were to exchange genes, the swine flu might become resistant, too."

April 30th, 2009, 11:37
For those who enjoy freaking out, panicikng, and generally worrying about everything, the World Health Organization in the last few hours has ramped up the medical alert level to 5 >>[/b]

Apocolyptists (sp?), Bipolarists, and Revelationists please take note ... your ship is 'IN'.

Apocalyptists....but you were close.

The problem is that some governemnts are freaking out. It's reported that Indian health authorities are tracking down 500 British tourists there...because some British citizen went to Mexico and caught the flu? Seems to be an over-reaction..

And this from Bangkok Post:
"The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has told district offices to work with operators of hotels and guest houses to step up surveillance of guests. Bangkok Deputy Governor Malinee Sukvejvorakij, in charge of medical and social development affairs, said City Hall's prime concerns were the Khao San and Sukhumvit areas where many guest houses cater to foreigners. Owners were urged to inform authorities if any guests showed signs of flu-like symptoms so that they could be brought in for medical checks."

So, if a farang has a runny nose he can be "brought in" for "medical checks"?

krobbie
May 1st, 2009, 15:39
..And I rang the swine flu hotline today

But all I got was crackling ....

May 2nd, 2009, 02:31
This Swine Flu outbreak really has me worried but the government has set up a hotline:
612 -34344530.
but make sure you have a good phone connection ..I called today and all I got was crackling. :tongue:

May 2nd, 2009, 13:26
As a Mexican, I'm really disturbed by this non sense WHO/Media/Govt panic on this shit...

First, the stupid Mexican govt was mixing deaths and patients from normal flu (thousands died every year for that) with H1N1 deaths, and other illness.

Real death toll is now at 16, not like 170 as was originally reported. I can tell you that people are dying because subcultural Mexicans don't go to the fucking hospitals until they are really bad, and because health services are not good like in U.S. or Europe.

Measures to contain the virus are working. Yesterday only around 40 people were admitted in hospitals. Monday were almost 250. No one died in the last 24 hours in Mexico City and changes in the death toll are because laboratory tests are confirming H1N1 cases from already dead people.

I'm not in Mexico City were business are shutdown as a precaution, but in my state, in the Baja Peninsula, the panic broadcasted by CNN/BBC/FOX/NBC/Televisa/NYT are doing a big big damage to our tourism and to our economy, for only a dozen of deaths from a non-lethal virus that can be treated with tamilflu.

Right now, the CDC in Atlanta is saying that the virus is not so lethal as they worried.

But the damage is done. Media falsely said that the virus is from Mexico. Its a virus found in european and asian pigs, and first cases were reported in California and Texas.

Thanks to this, Mexicans are now discriminated all over the world, flights stopped, ignorants govts like Argentina and other 3rd world countries canceling flights like if it were a virus from the "28 days later" movie, etc. Egypt killing 400k pigs and more travel restrictions to us, like in Japan.

This is a real nightmare for me, because I like traveling, and all my plans are now in standby, awaiting, like in a house arrest... We are worried, but not in panic. This is not the end of the world, and we are walking on the street without surgical masks

May 2nd, 2009, 18:36
Some clips from the blogs ...

www.checktheevidence.co.uk/cms/index.ph ... &Itemid=75 (http://www.checktheevidence.co.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=231&Itemid=75)

Many researchers have witnessed again the extreme unreliability of mainstream sources, due to their repeated distortion of facts and failure to properly investigate the background of breaking stories. As with the events of 9/11 and 7/7, the media have rapidly created a myth which has been seared into the public psyche using a set of clich├йd images and ubiquitous тАУ and often baseless - fear tactics

Irresponsible overreaction by the media (obvious at the beginning?)?, a pharmaceutical industry conspiracy (maybe)?.

Fizzling as we speak? HOPEFULLY! :bounce: