View Full Version : Where is Thaksin .... Liberia ..... of all places

jvt22222
April 25th, 2009, 07:52
Liberia: Former Thai Prime Minister Seeks Investment Opportunities In Country Holds Talks With Boakai

Monrovia тАФ Former Thai Prime Minister at the head of an eight-member investment exploration delegation has left Liberia after two days of holding talks with Vice President Joseph Nyumah Boakai and relevant government officials.

While in the country Dr. Thaksin Shinawatra and his delegation (from Black Pearl Capital) тАУ an acclaimed international business firm тАУ discussed issues of investment possibilities in agriculture, oil exploration and extraction, exploration of precious metals, GSM and telecommunication license and lottery. Black Pearl, based in Dubai, the UAE, has the ability to provide services to companies and countries that comprise most of the emerging markets in Europe, Asia as well as Southern, Eastern and Northern Africa.

Mr. Shinawatra said the company has planned to extend its presence in West Africa, where markets are emerging. He said Liberia was one of the countries on its agenda, thus the exploratory visit.

Speaking in the office of Vice President Boakai Tuesday, the Thai millionaire said though he did not know much about Liberia in terms of the investment climate, the visit was intended to get first hand information and get an idea of where to invest. He said his experts would further access the investment climate and opportunities, as this was just an acquaintance visit. In response Vice President Boakai welcomed the delegation to Liberia on behave of President Sirleaf and noted the visit was timely when Liberians were in search of investments in their country.

Boakai told the delegation "Get ready to invest anywhere," enumerating the vast forest, mineral and other resources that Liberia has. Dr. Shinawatra said millions of United States dollars would be invested in which ever sector they would consider investing тАУ agriculture, mining or telecommunication.

"Invest in any of these areas. We are looking for good investors and investments opportunities that will empower our young people and citizens in the rebuilding process of our country," Vice President Boakai said. He then presented a copy of the Liberia's Poverty Reduction Strategy (PRS) to the former Thai Prime Minster as a way of informing him about the development and investment priorities of the country.

Liberia's PRS, or the "Lift Liberia" initiative, articulates the Government's overall vision and major strategies for moving toward rapid, inclusive and sustainable growth and development during the period 2008-2011. The PRS will be implemented between April 1, 2008 and June 30, 2011 (the end of the 2010/2011 fiscal year). This period is of critical importance as Liberia shifts from post-conflict stabilization to laying the foundation for inclusive and sustainable growth, poverty reduction, and progressing toward the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), the PRS paper states.

The donor-dependent US$1.6bn program is crafted with four major pillars including enhancing peace and national security, governance and the rule of law, economic revitalization and rehabilitation of infrastructures and delivery of basic social services.

fedssocr
April 25th, 2009, 08:43
Of all places is right. Although I was just reading that the president was apparently pretty upset with all of the corruption in her government these days. While she personally seems very honest and inspirational I guess the rest of the government is not so clean. So maybe Thaksin is in the right place. I assume he knows Charles Taylor is in jail now and no longer running the country. I guess corruption is pretty rampant in many parts of Africa so Thaksin should be right at home.

April 25th, 2009, 09:41
I haven't been paying too close attention lately but I think I heard that Nicaragua gave Thaksin a diplomatic visa after the Thai government pulled his passport. That will allow him to continue to travel wherever he wants.

Now why Nicaragua?
Daniel Ortega....Sandanistas....China

Connect the dots......

But I might be wrong :dontknow:

April 25th, 2009, 13:56
Nicaraguans and Liberians are not like Thais. The move wrongly, these people would not hesitate to coffin you.

Brad the Impala
April 25th, 2009, 16:21
jvt, where did this article appear? Good to provide a link.

jvt22222
April 25th, 2009, 16:43
Brad you are so correct .... my oversight .......... the URL of the source of the article is as follows: <http://allafrica.com/stories/200904240442.html> ....... although I now live in Pattaya for the past nine years, I lived in Liberia for 14 years in the '60s. '70s, '80s and '90s .......... I know VP Boakai personally and well ..... was somewhat taken aback by the reported meeting.

Smiles
April 25th, 2009, 21:20
But the Letters to The Editor part is funny. The folks there go at it like it's, well, for instance, Sawatdee Forum :blackeye: << http://allafrica.com/comments/list/aans ... x5feoPLqNW (http://allafrica.com/comments/list/aans/post/post/id/200904240442.html#c|main|main|id|08wY5kx5feoPLqNW) >>

Just a small example:

" ... KrobarToe: I do not know who you are, a Liberian or what ever else, but I know that you are disgusting,ignorant and completely lacking in integrity. Unfortunately there are still some very naive people who will believe the misrepresentations you hate filled,unprincipled,semiliterate,inexperienced pieces of fecease come up with to keep our country down ... "

Brad the Impala
April 25th, 2009, 23:01
But the Letters to The Editor part is funny. The folks there go at it like it's, well, for instance, Sawatdee Forum :blackeye: << http://allafrica.com/comments/list/aans ... x5feoPLqNW (http://allafrica.com/comments/list/aans/post/post/id/200904240442.html#c|main|main|id|08wY5kx5feoPLqNW) >>

Just a small example:

" ... KrobarToe: I do not know who you are, a Liberian or what ever else, but I know that you are disgusting,ignorant and completely lacking in integrity. Unfortunately there are still some very naive people who will believe the misrepresentations you hate filled,unprincipled,semiliterate,inexperienced pieces of fecease come up with to keep our country down ... "

So LMTU gets the same response there too!