PDA

View Full Version : Prem: Is He ???

April 23rd, 2009, 16:09
General Prem Tinsulanonda: Is he Catholic?

I was just wonderiing. Seems strange he would mention 'guardian angels'. I know that Buddhists know of hungry ghosts, but I thought the guardian angels that watch us were from 1st grade RC catechism (<< BG correct my spelling pls).

People hostile to the country should be afflicted with misfortune: Prem
By The Nation

The Thai guardian angel has proved time and again to have safegaurded the country and is expected to punish hostile individuals, chief royal adviser General Prem Tinsulanonda said on Thursday.

He was making a veiled attack on individuals involved in triggering the Songkran mayhem during his speech to launch a programme to foster the understanding of southern Muslim youths.

"I like to pray to the Thai guardian angel to protect the young people from the South, safeguard the nation and inflict misfortune on individuals hostile to their own country," he said.

April 23rd, 2009, 17:10
There are Thai angels, too. You only have to look as far as the Thai name of Bangkok to find them.

Dboy
April 23rd, 2009, 17:24
It does seem weird, but some varieties of Buddhists do believe that there are protective angels (called "devas"...Hindu and Buddhism). There's also the Thai word "thay-wa-da" р╣Ар╕Чр╕зр╕Фр╕▓, which means a male angel. And yes the "Thep" р╣Ар╕Чр╕Ю in "Grung-Thep" р╕Бр╕гр╕╕р╕Зр╣Ар╕Чр╕Ю р╕п (Bangkok) means "angel", so City (or town or capital city, or Kingdom) of the angels. When you consider the Theravada blend of animism with the old Sri Lanken "real" buddhism, it really not so weird. Keep in mind though that just like in the theistic religions, there's what the commoners are taught and believe, and what the religious scholar's are taught and believe, and the two are different...some times vastly different. Angels in general are probably an artifact of our species...alone and afraid, in a world we never made. The desire to seek protection from a hostile world is universal.

dboy

April 23rd, 2009, 18:24
CM: Has Thailand managed to take the right parts of globalization?
General Prem: Yes in terms of economy it [globalization] is very attractive, good to study. But in terms of culture, tradition, and other things, I dont think it is good for my country [Thailand]. The way you [indicates this reporter] eat and the way I eat would be different. The way you spend your life and the way I spend my life is different. The way you talk about how you make your life as a good person [is different]. You are Christian and we are Buddhist. So it is not the same.
http://www.feer.com/free-interviews/200 ... sulanonda1 (http://www.feer.com/free-interviews/2006/september/general-prem-tinsulanonda1)
http://www.generalprem.com

April 24th, 2009, 07:42
Yes, 'thep' IS angels and the often beastly appearing devas are guardians (angels) of the Buddhist universe.

This morning's Nation says he was speaking to southern Muslims (maybe using words familiar to them?).

THX for all the info above.

bkkguy
April 24th, 2009, 18:51
General Prem Tinsulanonda: Is he Catholic?

well the subject had me fooled - religion is not his most often speculated on orientation!

bkkguy

April 25th, 2009, 09:15
Is Prem Catholic?

I dunno, but from what I've heard he'd have a great time in a Catholic Seminary.....