PDA

View Full Version : Jackie in Cambodia

gearguy
April 22nd, 2009, 10:38
Found at a yard sale this weekend, Jackie in Cambodia, from Nov. 1967.

I replaced the files with a contact sheet. If anyone wants full size copies, drop me a PM.

TOQ
April 22nd, 2009, 13:57
Did you get a good deal on the magazine

john

gearguy
April 22nd, 2009, 21:47
Yes, they had a whole stack of old mags for a buck a piece.

I got some old National Geo maps as well. I collect them.

Not so much interested in magazine as I have all of them
on CD.

I remember getting LIFE at home when I was a kid; seeing all these brought back some
memories. I expect that most of the issues are on-line somewhere but I haven't looked
for it yet.

gearguy
April 23rd, 2009, 00:49
BTW Guys, I'll leave this post up for a week or so, then bring it down, so as to not eat up
storage space. If anyone wants the full size copies, send me a PM with your email address
and I will send them. Each one is around 3Meg, prints out to around 11"x 14 or so.

April 25th, 2009, 11:18
Oh wow...
Sihanouk and Cambodia before it all got eaten alive.

I'd be interested in the text. I'll send you my PM.

May 9th, 2009, 13:01
Thanks to gearguy for sending the pics with text. Nothing really earthshattering. But I asked
myself why is this being pushed like a visit from a Head of State?

I pulled out my old copy of Shawcross' "Sideshow: Kissinger, Nixon and the Destruction of Cambodia".
In the early 60's Sihanouk broke with the West over Vietnam, but as the deacde progressed he became increasingly worried about North Viet incursions into Cambodian territory. Things became serious and he attempted a "rapprochement". According to the book:

"Sihanouk's solution was to make gestures of friendliness toward Washington. They were reciprocated. First, Jacquceline Kennedy was allowed to make a much-publicized visit to the ruins of Angkor that was intended, she claimed, 'to fulfill a childhood dream.' Cambodian officials began to drop hints of rapprochement, even allowing American 'hot pursuit' into some sanctuaries."

And who should be in one of the pics but "...Lord Harlech, a member of Jackie's party, who was British ambassador to the the U.S. during the Kennedy administration".

Just a couple of old pals going to see the ruins....riiiight....

(edit:spelling corrections)