PDA

View Full Version : Trip Planning

April 18th, 2009, 08:26
I will return to my beloved Thailand (wish it were still Siam) in August for three months, but would like to request some information from you gentlemen.

Does anyone know if there is a place where I could rent a wheelchair (yes, I'm afraid it has come to that)? I would like a light weight, collapsable non-motorized rig.

I know that Foodland honors VISA credit card. Do they also honor MasterCaed or VISA Debet cards.

Thanks in advance.

Pat

April 18th, 2009, 12:42
I will return to my beloved Thailand (wish it were still Siam)

Thailand has not been "Siam" for 70 years.

Were you really here over 70 years ago, so that you can justifiably pine for the days of old Siam?

Bob
April 18th, 2009, 14:24
I can't answer your question but would guess that such a wheelchair would be available at least in the big cities. I'm sure that one of the reasonable posters (as opposed to the obvious riffraff you just witnessed above) will respond if they know of a source.

Visa and Mastercard are generally accepted at the bigger stores. I have both and prior to this year I mainly used my VISA (issued by US Bank) - but, starting this January, they have rejected several attempted charges here in Thailand. When I contacted them, they just tell me that they started this to avoid fraudulent charges - and the bastards wouldn't even alter my account to allow Thai charges (on each case, they won't approve it unless the retailer telephones them in the states - which is friggin' ridiculous and why I only use my mastercard here anymore).

A friend of mine calls his credit card companies to tell them when he'll be here in Thailand and he tells me they like that and will allow any charges from Thailand for that time period. Probably wouldn't hurt to call just to avoid getting here and having them not work. I'd always recommend a backup plan anyway (like some traveler's checks that can be replaced if lost or stolen).

Geezer
April 18th, 2009, 17:17
ThereтАЩs a place on Sukumvit, perhaps 1 km south of South Pattaya Rd. which sells (and perhaps rents) wheelchairs and other medical equipment. Following my heart operation at Bumrungrad (what a superb hospital) my BF went there to rent one. They were so inexpensive he bought it. I also saw several shops at the new Central Mall which had them. I'm sure they were much more expensive for the same items.

My BF will return from Songkran tomorrow evening. IтАЩll get the details then.

April 18th, 2009, 17:25
Last fall there was a notice in the Foodland on Charonsonnitwong in Bangkok that the store would no longer accept Visa Gold or Platinum cards. Someone in Pattaya might be able to provide information about the Foodland there.

April 18th, 2009, 17:31
Opposite Rajchavitee Hospital at Victory Monument there are 3 or 4 retailers selling wheelchairs from 2500 -15000 baht.

In Pattaya upstairs at the chemist at Carrefour (7-8k) and in Tesco (5-6k) on the Pattaya Nua (North) Road.

Or try most large hospitals receptions they can normally help you?

pong
April 18th, 2009, 18:48
king key and fattman are right-wheelchairs, Thai made are quite cheap for sale-I dont think a rental for 3 month would be any cheaper. donate to charity afters.
In Thaild they dont make any division between debit/credit card-if they take Visa-they take all, and usually also master.
besides Foodland there are now also 2 tesco hypermarkets and 1 Carrefour in PTY-and also TOPS and various other supermarkets. AFAIK ALL take those cards.
Note that for CASH withdrawl on cards by ATM there is now a surcharge of 150 THB on the total-besides te fees your homebank charges

TrongpaiExpat
April 18th, 2009, 22:04
Thailand is not wheelchair friendly. After the New Year's Eve bombings the MRT closed all the elevators and most remain closed. I could never figure out why. Then at times I wonder if there's a Ministry of Unnecessary Hidden Steps. There everywhere and where you least expect them. The pavement is uneven, it can fall off at all sorts of odd angles and often walking is quite a task, I can't imagine what it's like for someone in a wheelchair.

Geezer
April 19th, 2009, 02:15
Thailand is not wheelchair friendly.

Indeed it is not. It is, in fact, wheelchair hostile.

Sidewalks are obstructed by utility poles, public phones, all sorts of pylons, signs etc. , not to mention people who set up shops and restaurants in the way.

I, who hiked thousands of miles in the mountains of the US and Nepal, have become creaky. The trek from Center condo to Boyzstown is made with the assistance of ibuprofen -- and it will get worse. I'm not complaining; the happiest days of my life have been on the trail. I am privileged to have had them, and now in Pattaya I have gratification of a different sort. IтАЩve given considerable thought to future mobility challenges, and there is no place on earth I would rather meet them.

I think one or two boys, a wheelchair, and a songteow or car can take care of mobility issues.

A few years ago there was an old gentleman who, with the assistance of a boy on each arm, required four minutes to traverse the eight yards crossing the soi from Caf├й Royal to the Ambiance. I suppose many who watched pitied him -- not I! I thought, тАЬHow wonderful that the old gentleman can have such care here in PattayaтАЬ. Where else can one employ the number of caring lads required for a reasonable sum?

To visit some places may even require a sedan chair. Go for it! If people think itтАЩs outlandish thatтАЩs their problem, not yours. I worked hard for years; now IтАЩll live my life the way I think best.

I shall, however, resist the urge to dress my porters in the style of the old Caf├й Royal uniforms.

April 21st, 2009, 07:22
My thanks to all who responded to my request for help. Your civil comments were most helpful. I am greatly relieved that wheelchairs are readily available.
I particularly appreciater Geeser's observation having angels at my shoulder, which I have already arranged.
I have always thought that most people are essentially good, especially with the community.
I hope to meet up with some of you in August (I will be easy to spot.)
Patrick

krobbie
April 21st, 2009, 12:23
Choc dee to you thaipat. I hope you have a fantastic time and any on the board who see you will make themselves known.

I am also of the belief that folk are essentially good therefore should you need assistance there should be any amount of help. At least this is what I hope.

I have found that people have been quite helpful to me when I require help, which admittedly isn't that often. A smile and a cheery disposition helps mightily.

krobbie