PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok - state 0f emergency. 12/4/09

April 12th, 2009, 14:41
Tanks soon? ( and hot soldiers)

Urgent: State of emergency declared for Bangkok

The government Sunday afternoon announced the state of emergency for Bangkok and some districts in satellite provinces.

The government reasoned that protesters had committed violence in the areas so the government had to declare the state of emergency to restore normality in the areas.

The areas include some districts in Nonthaburi and Samut Prakan.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban will be chief enforcer of the state of emergency measures.

Police and soldiers as well as civil servants will assist Suthep in the operations to restore normality.

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...red-for-Bangkok (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/30100325/Urgent-State-of-emergency-declared-for-Bangkok)

April 12th, 2009, 15:41
Heres comes Paojinda to the rescue!

Army spokesman pleads public not to panic

The Army spokesperson warned the public not to panic if they happen to see the employ of army forces as the military will start employing their forces and send them to various places.

He said the state of emergency allowed the officials to step up measures to deal with the protesters.

The Nation

Irish1972
April 12th, 2009, 15:52
Hmmm,

I fear if they do deploy the army and the army take over that it may not be the same bloodless coup that was experienced in September 2006.

My BF is due to join me next monday from Ireland and I am seriously reconsidering this move, I may join him back in Ireland!

April 12th, 2009, 16:20
Red-shirted protesters seize 2 armoured carriers at Paragon

Two armoured carriers came out of the Royal Thai Police head office but were quickly seized by red-shirted protesters in front of the Siam Paragon shopping mall.

Reporters saw the protesters forced soldiers to leave the carriers and seized them at 3:30 pm.

The protesters tied red clothes around the soliders neck and the protesters went up on the carriers to shout victory.

The protesters vowed to block all roads to the Royal Thai Police.

Several military trucks were spotted at several areas in Bangkok.

The Nation

x in pattaya
April 12th, 2009, 16:40
I fear if they do deploy the army and the army take over that it may not be the same bloodless coup that was experienced in September 2006.

Hysterical fear mongering.

Why don't we squeal and run around in circles to complete the stereotypical gutless queer scenario.

April 12th, 2009, 16:43
Seriously. I'm going to take a nap.

x in pattaya
April 12th, 2009, 16:59
Seriously. I'm going to take a nap.

Exactly. I think the odds of you being dragged from your home and raped & pillaged by marauding armies of bloodthirsty soldiers or torch-bearing revolutionaries is minimal.

Although if you hang a sign out in front of your home announcing the times when you'll be available for raping, you might get lucky.

April 12th, 2009, 17:37
Both the thai police and army are hopeless ,they cant or wont even protect the prime minster, according to a bbc reporter in bangkok ,the army fired warning shots over the heads of the protesters at the interior building and then let the red shirts in forcing the prime minster to flee by car.

a447
April 12th, 2009, 17:41
Will the bars be open during the state of emergency??

anakot
April 12th, 2009, 17:44
Just watched extensive coverage of affairs on Pearl Channel in Chinese. Apparently Abbhisit was the first to leave PTYA after the state of emergency was declared. Really inspiring leadership eh?

x in pattaya
April 12th, 2009, 18:24
Both the thai police and army are hopeless ,they cant or wont even protect the prime minster, according to a bbc reporter in bangkok ,the army fired warning shots over the heads of the protesters at the interior building and then let the red shirts in forcing the prime minster to flee by car.

Well it does seem they are rather helpless, but they are following orders to avoid bloodshed and there's no evidence the PM was actually ever in danger. He did flee the ministry, but presumably that was his choice rather than do something to force a violent confrontation. A car was attacked, whether it was intentionally moved at that point as a decoy is not clear but he wasn't in it.

The bloody confrontation in 1976 when 46 university students were killed is still very much in the memory of many who want to avoid something like that ever happening again.

The police here are not very well trained to deal with unarmed mobs and armies anywhere are rarely qualified to do so. If you put a bunch of kids with rifles on the ground and tell them to protect the building but not to shoot anyone there's not a whole lot they can do, especially since the mob knows they won't be harmed.

In South Korea and France where demonstrations frequently turn violent, the police seem to have mixed results in crowd control and presumably they are better trained and far better equipped.Certainly many countries in Europe have been helpless when dealing with rampaging football hooligans and these people aren't much different from them.

Of course here the police and army are political animals and are hardly impartial, but I seem to recall the army refused to get embroiled when the Yellow Shirts were running amuck too.

Just watched extensive coverage of affairs on Pearl Channel in Chinese. Apparently Abbhisit was the first to leave PTYA after the state of emergency was declared. Really inspiring leadership eh?

Well where in the world have you ever seen a Prime Minister manning barricades during demonstrations. There are probably a fair number of reasons to criticize the way things were handled recently, but let's not use this as an opportunity for mindless Thai bashing.

Keep in mind that Bush disappeared after 9/11 and Taksin is leading his followers by satellite transmission.

PeterUK
April 12th, 2009, 19:16

I hardly think it 'hysterical fear mongering' to say that blood is likely to be shed in the next few days. Unfortunately, it's a very realistic assessment of the situation. Abhisit is a weak character compromised by his failure to act against the PAD leaders and by his possible involvement in yesterday's 'blue shirt' activity. Whatever he does now will be resented by the red shirts, who have been emboldened by their freedom to do as they wish and seem ready for a fight. Who knows what the attitudes of army and police leaders are? - but there will probably be a crackdown which, while necessary, could inflame things mightily. All this is just what Thaksin wants. It will be interesting to see if the brave leader in exile actually appears on the streets himself at some point. I rather doubt it. I don't see him returning to power whatever happens, because he is loathed by too many influential (and ordinary) Thais. Some sort of reluctant army takeover would be my guess as to the most likely outcome. All in all, I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get through the next few days and weeks without significant bloodshed.

x in pattaya
April 12th, 2009, 19:40

I hardly think it 'hysterical fear mongering' to say that blood is likely to be shed in the next few days. .

Blood may indeed be shed, but that doesn't transform the comment into anything other than hysterical fear mongering. If he wants to run away to Ireland because of personal fears, then he should go ahead and do it. If you put make-up on a chicken, it will still cluck.

People say things like that in forums like this for no other reason than to draw attention to themselves and for dramatic effect.Life in Thailand or anywhere in the third world is bound to involve risks. If you're bothered by such things, then have the grace to exit stage left without over acting while doing so. A drama queen smells the same by any other name.

anakot
April 12th, 2009, 21:11
[quote="x in pattaya":1pnxzdm1]

I hardly think it 'hysterical fear mongering' to say that blood is likely to be shed in the next few days. .

Blood may indeed be shed, but that doesn't transform the comment into anything other than hysterical fear mongering. If he wants to run away to Ireland because of personal fears, then he should go ahead and do it. If you put make-up on a chicken, it will still cluck.

People say things like that in forums like this for no other reason than to draw attention to themselves and for dramatic effect.Life in Thailand or anywhere in the third world is bound to involve risks. If you're bothered by such things, then have the grace to exit stage left without over acting while doing so. A drama queen smells the same by any other name.[/quote:1pnxzdm1]

You probably have a large commitment to LOS and the status quo and this is blinding you to the bleeding obvious that for most people to visit now is just not sensible. To term this hysterical fear mongering is an over statement similar to your reactions to people accusing them of being drama queens. We'll all be back when things settle. I'l' be there next if it looks OK. You need to calm down and try to see the situation as it is being reported and unfolding outside of Thailand. A 10 minute lead item on Chinese tele is fairly significant.

Art
April 13th, 2009, 00:30
р╣Ар╕Юр╕╖р╣Ир╕нр╕Щр╕Б р╕┤р╕Щр╕лр╕▓р╕Зр╣Ир╕ р╕в р╣Ар╕Юр╕╖р╣Ир╕нр╕Щр╕Х р╕▓р╕вр╕лр╕▓р╕вр╕▓р╕ Б
Transliteration: pheuuan gin haa ngaay pheuuan dtaay haa yaak
Literal: Friends for a meal are easy to find, friends until end of life are difficult to find
Meaning: It is easy to find good-weather friends in good times but hard to find real friends who stand by you in all situations of life.
English version: A friend in need is a friend indeed.
English version: Remember man and keep in mind: A faithful friend is hard to find.

You probably have a large commitment to LOS
Yes.

and the status quo
No.

and this is blinding you to the bleeding obvious that for most people to visit now is just not sensible.
Not the Prague Spring, but interesting times for the full-blooded tourist. And we should not belittle the brilliant photo opportunities - the proverbially peaceful Buddhists in action!

We'll all be back when things settle.
Fine.

Jetsam
April 13th, 2009, 00:42
The most relevant post in this thread is still not answered

Will the bars be open during the state of emergency??

bigben
April 13th, 2009, 01:39
Author: Jetsam ┬╗ Sun 12 Apr, 2009 12:42 pm
The most relevant post in this thread is still not answered

a447 wrote:Will the bars be open during the state of emergency??

Sorry gentlemen, I overlooked the question.

The answer is ...................M A Y B E :bom:

April 13th, 2009, 01:50
The police here are not very well trained to deal with unarmed mobs and armies anywhere are rarely qualified to do so.

A reasonably valid point. While the British Army may have been both trained, equipped and "qualified to do so" as a result of its experience in Northern Ireland it has not had the use of what was then recognised as the best training ground for junior commanders for some 15 years. The Thai military and police, unfortunately, are trained by the Americans in crowd control giving them the worst of both worlds.

joe552
April 13th, 2009, 02:18
It appears from the reports I've seen that the protests and 'incidents' are far more widely spread than the yellow shirts last year, making it harder to avoid them. Last year the advice 'stay away from Government House' was enough, but it seems the protestors have more control over the city. How can the ordinary tourist avoid getting caught up in the mayhem?

As an aside hot4thais, recent events here in Ireland have shown that some of us Irishmen are not averse to being murderous bastards either!

rincondog
April 13th, 2009, 06:41
Gone fishing wrote: The Thai military and police, unfortunately, are trained by the Americans in crowd control

Which Americans are giving this training? All crowd control in America is done by the local police.

April 13th, 2009, 07:09

Why don't we squeal and run around in circles to complete the stereotypical gutless queer scenario.

Get off your high horse. There are two of previous examples of very bloody coups in Bangkok in my lifetime.

The poster's fear are quite reasonable.

x in pattaya
April 13th, 2009, 11:14
Get off your high horse. There are two of previous examples of very bloody coups in Bangkok in my lifetime.

The poster's fear are quite reasonable.

So what? That's what drama queens do:

NounSingular
drama queen
Plural
drama queens

drama queen (plural drama queens)

1.(idiomatic) Originally, an effeminate man (a "queen") who behaves and speaks in an overly dramatic manner so as to garner attention.
2.(slang) By extension, an exaggeratedly dramatic person.

I've been in a number of places in southern Africa, the Middle East, Pakistan, etc where conflicts were underway. So what? In what way is expressing your fears on a gay message board serving any other purpose other than to try to put the spotlight on yourself? It's not about you. You exercise a little common sense and it'll probably have zero impact on your life aside from a little inconvenience if your favorite gogo bar closes or you can't drink yourself silly.

x in pattaya
April 13th, 2009, 11:38
[quote="x in pattaya":1blr2h6s]The police here are not very well trained to deal with unarmed mobs and armies anywhere are rarely qualified to do so.

A reasonably valid point. While the British Army may have been both trained, equipped and "qualified to do so" as a result of its experience in Northern Ireland it has not had the use of what was then recognised as the best training ground for junior commanders for some 15 years. The Thai military and police, unfortunately, are trained by the Americans in crowd control giving them the worst of both worlds.[/quote:1blr2h6s]

Yes, well, umm here's some footage of the British police employing their crowd control skills ... mainly running away.

http://www.weaselzippers.net/blog/2009/ ... sters.html (http://www.weaselzippers.net/blog/2009/01/video-british-police-run-away-from-allah-akhbar-screaming-muslim-protesters.html)

DamienZ
April 13th, 2009, 13:17
Let the army shoot this rabble the are only good for producing rice and gogo staff

Yea, well I guess that's it for me keeping my trap shut. But, are you really that fucking ignorant where Thai humanity is reduced to producing rice and gogo staff?
You sir, if this in fact are your true sentiments, are slime plain and simple. You give all non-Thai visitors a bad name. I will not voice my political opinion in this situation, however, this is a very sad, sad, turn of events for a country and people that I have come to care a great deal for.
So, if you want to reply, here I am.
I have more explitives waiting for you.
DZ :thumbright:

April 13th, 2009, 13:37
http://api.ning.com/files/y**yw1cNF7PG0yjJbBJah4rM3QyD4w7qiWCHx1RotkC819JRFc 6Li*rt8PKhdJ9sStXcdupl4L6o-uKjWHZ8GxWPWXDIYsYO/P773870848.jpg

http://api.ning.com/files/y**yw1cNF7M*MTdwinxU05WgnLqPk1R12hcQr8YDS7ezr6NC7u XJO0ieGXWp1slnlOLFaTL7lVEKM4sr*Zd0P4TdH1KYoEmB/p77390810.jpg

martin911
April 13th, 2009, 13:58
Hi All,
I am due to travel to Bangkok today monday from Pattaya,i have a flight out tue evening,the reason i go today is i need to collect some purchases in the city i made previously--will i even get into the city???(silom area)i can travel to collect with the skytrains ,
There was a state of emergency here in Pattaya also and it made no difference to tourist life from what i saw
Calling all Bangkok guys with opinions please

x in pattaya
April 13th, 2009, 14:13
Hi All,
I am due to travel to Bangkok today monday from Pattaya,i have a flight out tue evening,the reason i go today is i need to collect some purchases in the city i made previously--will i even get into the city???(silom area)i can travel to collect with the skytrains ,
There was a state of emergency here in Pattaya also and it made no difference to tourist life from what i saw
Calling all Bangkok guys with opinions please

Siam Pargagon, Central stores, Zen gold shops in Yaowaraj closed

BANGKOK: -- Siam Paragon shopping mall, five branches of Central Department stores and Zen announced they would be closed until Wednesday.

The four Central branches are Central Chidlom, Central Lard Prao, Central Pinklao and Central Silom Complex.

Gold shops in Yaowaraj were also closed.

-- The Nation 2009--04-11

April 13th, 2009, 23:06
British Army = Murdering Bastards = Bloody Sunday

While the report from the Saville enquiry is not due out until late this year I think it is very clear that the actions of the Army on Bloody Sunday (30 January 1972) were indefensible. To use this to accuse all of the British Army, past, present, and serving at the time, however, is no more justifiable than to accuse all Catholics/Unionists in the Province of the same crime over the Warrenpoint massacre and the assassination of Lord Louis Mountbatten (27 August 1979).

The Thai military and police, unfortunately, are trained by the Americans in crowd control
Which Americans are giving this training? All crowd control in America is done by the local police.

I said training. It is carried out by a visiting American Police combined training team as part of their overseas assistance programme.

elephantspike
April 14th, 2009, 00:53
British Army = Murdering Bastards = Bloody Sunday

While the report from the Saville enquiry is not due out until late this year I think it is very clear that the actions of the Army on Bloody Sunday (30 January 1972) were indefensible. To use this to accuse all of the British Army, past, present, and serving at the time, however, is no more justifiable than to accuse all Catholics/Unionists in the Province of the same crime over the Warrenpoint massacre and the assassination of Lord Louis Mountbatten (27 August 1979).

[quote="Gone Fishing":2g9w4r7i] The Thai military and police, unfortunately, are trained by the Americans in crowd control

I said training. It is carried out by a visiting American Police combined training team as part of their overseas assistance programme.[/quote:2g9w4r7i]

Add Kent State (1970) and Waco (1993) and Los Angeles (1992) to your list of events in which the Military used deadly force while exercising crowd-control. It is illegal according to the USA Constitution to even use military forces to police USA citizens on American soil, but it does happen occasionally, legal or not, and usually with lethal consequences.

kittyboy
April 14th, 2009, 02:30
I give it a day before Gone Fishing gives us tactical and strategic updates on the BKK protests based on his intimate knowledge of the Thai political system based on his conversations with his bellhop and cleaning lady who once worked for the assistant to the assistant for someone in government.

April 14th, 2009, 03:15
Add Kent State (1970) and Waco (1993) and Los Angeles (1992) to your list of events in which the Military used deadly force while exercising crowd-control. It is illegal according to the USA Constitution to even use military forces to police USA citizens on American soil, but it does happen occasionally, legal or not, and usually with lethal consequences.

Don't want to nit-pick here, Spike, but.... Waco had nothing at all to do with the military. It was a civilian (FBI / ATF) operation to lawfully arrest religious cult leader nut case David Koresh on firearms charges, and the loss of life that ensued was primarily a result of that wacko religious cult setting fire to his own compound and murdering his own cult followers (by shooting them)...presumably after receiving a telegram, email or such from his god with orders to do so. Of course the loss of life was, in principle, unfortunate, but, IMHO, the death of a religious fanatic is never regretable. In any case, it had nothing to do with use of the military for crowd control.

April 14th, 2009, 03:32
Received an email from a Thai friend in Bangkok today. He said that someone had covered up the street traffic cams with black bags. Sounds somewhat ominous, not a good sign....

ceejay
April 14th, 2009, 04:21
The UK Foreign Office website is now advising against all but essential travel to Bangkok:

We advise against all but essential travel to Bangkok. British nationals should also review travel plans to other parts of Thailand. British nationals already in Bangkok and other cities affected by the violence are advised to stay indoors and to monitor the media and this travel advice.

elephantspike
April 14th, 2009, 04:59
Except that with bags visibly covering them, everyone knows that nothing is being recorded. That could be a deterrent.

anakot
April 14th, 2009, 07:08
I give it a day before Gone Fishing gives us tactical and strategic updates on the BKK protests based on his intimate knowledge of the Thai political system based on his conversations with his bellhop and cleaning lady who once worked for the assistant to the assistant for someone in government.

Here's my smelly view...

GF's updates would be welcome. Who can complain about accurate info. A bit picky sometimes but heh, useful mostly... Keep it up GF!

rincondog
April 14th, 2009, 07:18
Spike wrote:

Kent State and Los Angeles involved the national guard, which technically is not the military(federal) since their commander and chief is the governor of the respective states. It is perfectly legal for the governor to call up the national guard.

rincondog
April 14th, 2009, 07:28
Gone fishing wrote: I said training. It is carried out by a visiting American Police combined training team as part of their overseas assistance programme.

I'm not sure if you know what you are talking about. You say "visiting," why would they be visiting when there is a Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, part of US homeland security department in Thailand. It was established in Thailand many years ago, not exactly visiting.

elephantspike
April 14th, 2009, 09:42
Spike wrote:

Kent State and Los Angeles involved the national guard, which technically is not the military(federal) since their commander and chief is the governor of the respective states. It is perfectly legal for the governor to call up the national guard.

I think it may have been the U.N. in L.A. but that is unclear.

bigben
April 14th, 2009, 09:53
It was not the U.N. in L.A. 1992

I may be 100% full of myself (as usual).....But I don't think America has ever used the U.N. for anything occurring on American soil.

URL Text (http://www.militarymuseum.org/HistoryKingMilOps.html)

elephantspike
April 14th, 2009, 12:38
It was not the U.N. in L.A. 1992

I may be 100% full of myself (as usual).....But I don't think America has ever used the U.N. for anything occurring on American soil.

URL Text (http://www.militarymuseum.org/HistoryKingMilOps.html)

I didn't used to think so either, but now I'm not so sure. I think we need to question the impartiality of our news sources.

x in pattaya
April 14th, 2009, 17:42

I hardly think it 'hysterical fear mongering' to say that blood is likely to be shed in the next few days. Unfortunately, it's a very realistic assessment of the situation. Abhisit is a weak character compromised by his failure to act against the PAD leaders and by his possible involvement in yesterday's 'blue shirt' activity. Whatever he does now will be resented by the red shirts, who have been emboldened by their freedom to do as they wish and seem ready for a fight. All in all, I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get through the next few days and weeks without significant bloodshed.

You may indeed be surprised, but I doubt there's anything pleasant about it.

I realize this is not the end of all the problems and there will be more trying days ahead, but if this is the example of weak, compromised leadership, give me more.

You Thai bashers have all the answers from your smug farang fantasyland. Thank heavens the British were never able to do to Thailand what they did to Southern Rhodesia/Zimbabwe.

Inner Bangkok malls reopen
By: bangkokpost.com
Published: 14/04/2009 at 01:49 PM Malls around the Siam area in Bangkok reopened on Tuesday afternoon after the red-shirted mob surrounding government house ended its anti-government protest.

Siam Paragon, Siam Center and Siam Discovery reopened at 1 pm after being closed for almost three days because the unrest in the capital city.

Nearby Central World reopened before noon.

kittyboy
April 14th, 2009, 20:39

Here's my smelly view...

GF's updates would be welcome. Who can complain about accurate info. A bit picky sometimes but heh, useful mostly... Keep it up GF!

I have no problem with accurate info -- that is why Gone FishingтАЩs posts are problematic.
His posts remind me of pigeons. Pigeons have the remarkable ability to take a few kernels of gain and through some magical internal process turn that into about 1/4 pound (200 grams) of total shit which they squirt out. Poke through that shit and you will find the remnants of those kernels. Not fit for further consumption but still there.

So with GF - he takes a few kernels of truth and through some magical internal process turns it into pages of shit. The kernels are still there but surrounded by shit. Not fit for consumption as legitimate information but still there.

Passing off personal opinion/conjecture as total truth and backing up those opinions/conjectures with vague references to high level тАШthree starтАЭ sources does not pass the smell test. Sorry it has that asshole smell. It smells like shit.

April 14th, 2009, 23:48
Gone fishing wrote: I said training. It is carried out by a visiting American Police combined training team as part of their overseas assistance programme.

I'm not sure if you know what you are talking about. You say "visiting," why would they be visiting when there is a Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, part of US homeland security department in Thailand. It was established in Thailand many years ago, not exactly visiting.

While I am sure Pissyboy may agree with you, I know exactly what I am talking about on this particular subject.

There is no "Federal Law Enforcement Training Center" (FLETC) in Thailand. What you are referring to is US assistance and support for the International Law Enforcement Academy (ILEA) programme in Thailand from the FLETC. It is primarily concerned with programme management and technical advice rather than direct training.

The training teams I refer to are in Thailand for brief periods only, two or three times a year (hence "visiting") when they conduct and supervise hands on training in specific subjects which include crowd control, VIP protection and bomb disposal (IEDs).

I know nothing about the Bangkok protests, although like most others I have an opinion on them, apart from what I see on the news. I do know, however, that while the Dickin Medal (the animal's equivalent of the Victoria Cross) has been awarded to 32 pigeons (including GI Joe, an American) it has only been awarded to one cat.

kittyboy
April 15th, 2009, 00:02
While I am sure Pissyboy may agree with you, I know exactly what I am talking about on this particular subject.

Go Fuckyourself - The implication being that on this particular subject you know what you are talking about - in contrast to other posts where you know nothing of the particular subject?

Kernels into shit.

x in pattaya
April 16th, 2009, 10:13

Abhisit is a weak character compromised by his failure to act against the PAD leaders and by his possible involvement in yesterday's 'blue shirt' activity. Some sort of reluctant army takeover would be my guess as to the most likely outcome. All in all, I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get through the next few days and weeks without significant bloodshed.

Smug, condescending predictions of events by the League of Hyperventilating Uber-Farang Fantasists & Sex Tourists seem to be at odds with reality. I certainly hope the strong, intelligent leadership shown by the current prime minister and others will continue to benefit all Thai citizens, residents and visiting pundits. I'm sure there will be further tests to their leadership as well as a continuing chorus from the Nattering Nabobs of Negativisim, but in the end Thais will continue to do what they do best ... ignore the Flatulent Farangs who discredit us all.

National crisis puts leaders to the test

Their response to the street chaos of the past week improved the political fortunes of some. Others found their star had fallen.
By: Soonruth Bunyamanee
Published: 16/04/2009 at 12:00 AM
Newspaper section: News
In the past week of chaos that shook the people and produced some of the most dramatic scenes played out in this country for many years, some of the key individuals involved saw the sun rise on their political fortunes, while others saw it go down.

SUNRISE
Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva: At first he was harshly criticised for his lack of leadership, especially when the Asean summit in Pattaya was interrupted by the red shirt protesters. However, he played the role of leader perfectly in the subsequent chapter, either with backing from someone else or on his own initiative. He took on board the mistakes made in handling the yellow-clad protesters and joined with the military to put up a show of force to disperse those who were breaking the law, and piled on the pressure until the core leaders declared an end to the rally without any fatalities. His actions showed society no group was above the law.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/media/content/20090416/24797.jpg

Abhisit

SUNSET

Former PM Thaksin Shinawatra: He had been the hope of the grass-roots people and even some among the middle class, the perfect leader to bring prosperity to the country and assist the poor to escape their under-privileged existence.

But Thaksin has destroyed those people's hopes and completely lost the right to ask for any justice or what he calls "true democracy". His role showed his view of attaining democracy meant breaking the law and causing violence. Before he yelps for justice again, he needs to come back to face his own failings.

SUNRISE

Col Sansern Kaewkumnerd, the army spokesman: It was the strategy of the government and the military to keep people updated on the situation through television, and this seemed to be an effective tool in tackling the unrest.

Throughout, Col Sansern performed well with his calm demeanour and clear, precise pronouncements that ensured the correct message got through to the people and raised their confidence.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/media/content/20090416/24798.jpg

Thaksin

SUNSET

Panitan Wattanayagorn, the government spokesman: His key responsibility was to keep people abreast of the situation through official statements in order to raise assurance and confidence. But as tensions rose and with new developments occurring almost by the minute, the pressure got to him and he appeared to be flustered, speaking with a shaking voice and appearing to lack any confidence.

SUNRISE

Veera Musikhapong, UDD core leader: Although this man cannot deny accountability for the damage caused by the protest, he at least showed leadership by ending the rally immediately upon realising that a potentially lethal military crackdown against the protesters at Government House was imminent. His quick action avoided more injuries and deaths even though other key leaders and some hard-core red shirts did not agree as they wanted to continue protesting until their demands were met.

Panitan

SUNSET

Suthep Thaugsuban, deputy PM for security affairs: This man has to accept responsibility for the failure of security at the Asean summit in Pattaya and for allowing protesters and a rival group wearing blue shirts to confront each other. The red shirts took this failure as a signal to break into the summit venue. More notably, he allowed influential Buri Ram politician Newin Chidchob, who had no reason to show up in Pattaya, to get involved in inspecting and managing security measures at the Asean venue. It would seem perfectly reasonable for Mr Suthep to take responsibility for the debacle.

SUNRISE

Boonlert Pairin, former senator and astrologer: Mr Boonlert predicted the prime minister's fortunes would remain positive and after April 15 Mr Abhisit would see political tensions ease. Meanwhile, Thaksin's efforts to topple the Abhisit government through the red shirt protests would fail.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/media/content/20090416/24800.jpg

Sansern

SUNSET

Luck Lekhanethet, popular astrologer: Mr Luck said on the UDD rally stage that, based on charts, Mr Abhisit and his government no longer had fortune on their side so the administration's term would come to an end and Mr Abhisit would have to dissolve the House before April 20.

SUNRISE

The army:The unrest provided a chance for the army to make up for their previous mistake of inaction against the People's Alliance for Democracy's yellow shirts who seized Government House and the two airports, causing economic damage. It was also a new opportunity for the army to show they could handle unrest with decisiveness acceptable to international standards and with little bloodshed.

SUNSET

UDD: The UDD leaders have completely destroyed Thaksin lovers' hopes of bringing the former premier home. Most of Thaksin's supporters are classed as grass-roots groups from the suburbs and the provinces - they returned home in disappointment. The protest started in peace, but degenerated into disturbances, law-breaking and, finally, hooliganism.

PeterUK
April 16th, 2009, 12:03
My, my, all that hyperventilating! I must say your League of Hyperventilating Uber-Farang Fantasists & Sex Tourists sounds like incredible fun and I'm sure that great characters like Lunchtime O'Booze, in addition to your good self, must hold court there. I'm sorely tempted to do a bit more hyperventilating myself at this point, but since I am aware that the after effect, in my case, is similar to an alcoholic hangover with a measure of self-disgust, I'll leave the stage to you. Happy hyperventilating!

April 16th, 2009, 12:28
Oh, thankyou, thankyou, X for reposting the views of fortune tellers here. Now we can make our future plans safely. Clearly, you are the only person in the world who knows how to proceed in situations of civil unrest. Whatever would we do without your copious advice. I do hope you are not knocked off your motorcycle by a mini-watercannon into the path of an enormous truck during the current songkran festivities.

Irish1972
April 16th, 2009, 14:38
[quote="x in pattaya":102kefis]

People say things like that in forums like this for no other reason than to draw attention to themselves and for dramatic effect.Life in Thailand or anywhere in the third world is bound to involve risks. If you're bothered by such things, then have the grace to exit stage left without over acting while doing so. A drama queen smells the same by any other name.[/quote:102kefis]

1. In my original I post I used the word may join him in Ireland, I did not say I was going, and when you think about it, surely if my BF was not coming here then the logical thing would be for me to join him?

2. As to my being a Drama Queen drawing attention to myself, I am not the one who has spent the last 4 days and about 25 posts doing exactly that.