PDA

View Full Version : April, 2009 Semi-anual membership drive

elephantspike
April 5th, 2009, 01:29
OK, time to bump this thread. Hard to beleive it's been 6 months already. As a community we've advanced to the latest phpbb3 software in that time (no small task). The Donate button is under "board features". It's a paypal based system, but you can use any credit/debit card with it as well even if you don't have paypal. The paypal donate module for this newest phpbb version still doesn't have the feature the old one had that automatically lists donors on the index page.

$20 or more get's you Golden Membership, which allows you to start a blog, a photo album and to view thread pages without the ads inside them while logged-in. This is to help keep me going so I can keep the board going no matter how effed-up my personal life gets.

Personally, I've been down in Florida all winter looking for work (no luck yet) and collecting the unemployment dole (about to run out, but I'm pretty sure I can get an extension). The fun and sun and gay scene is pretty good in Ft. Lauderdale but it ain't Thailand. I think it's back to New England for the summer if I don't get something down here within a month.

BTW- The advertiser you guys were teasing above cancelled his account because of this commentary. I finally have a replacement for that block and it happens to be a company selling similar products, so please be nice.

Thanks.

elephantspike
April 10th, 2009, 01:15
I split this topic because I think it was getting burried in the original topic. Thanks to the 6 of you so far who have contributed $20 each.

It looks like I'm going to be taking a dive in Ad revenue this year. I have one new advertiser who is unhappy with the click-through rate on the ads I did for him, and has filed a charge-back with paypal (which leaves me with a negative $200 balance in my paypal account) and another long-time advertiser has decided to not renew his ad campaign for the coming year.

giggsy
April 12th, 2009, 10:08
my credit card has been stolen..i have not reported it because the thief is spending less then by BS did.

elephantspike
April 14th, 2009, 02:30
Two days ago I tried to make a payment through paypal (who I really hate).
1. "Card is not valid" - but I used it yesterday with no problems.
2. "Bank does not exist" - Huh??
3. "Invalid account number" - entered three times reading it from my statement
4. "Sort Code Invalid" - used it before online and never had a problem.

Sorry Spike, I've given up.

That's weird. Is it a Thai bank account? Paypal is kind of strange when it comes to Baht to Dollar transactions.

I do have one alternative to paypal available, but I think it is only available from the USA (which probably makes it irrelevant, as USA based people don't seem to be the ones having issues with paypal), but anyway:

If you buy a Greendot Visa reload (available at 7-11, Walgreens, CVS, etc. in the USA) and PM me the PIN, I can add whatever funds you load to my card balance, and then manually upgrade your membership.

elephantspike
April 14th, 2009, 05:03
Well, It seems that my issues with paypal are over. I just got this email from them:

The PayPal User Agreement states that PayPal, at its sole discretion,
reserves the right to limit an account for any violation of the User
Agreement, including the Acceptable Use Policy. Under the Acceptable Use
Policy, PayPal may not be used to send or receive payments for certain
sexually oriented materials or services or for items that are considered
obscene.

The complete Acceptable Use Policy can be found at the following URL:
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cm ... me-outside (http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/use/index_frame-outside)

To learn more about the Acceptable Use Policy, please refer to our Help
Center page here:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/helpweb?cmd=_help

We are hereby notifying you that, after a recent review of your account
activity, it has been determined that you are in violation of PayPal's
Acceptable Use Policy regarding your sales on
tips-for-krazy-dragon-and-happy-bar-t17521.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/tips-for-krazy-dragon-and-happy-bar-t17521.html). Therefore, your account has been permanently limited.

You will need to remove all references to PayPal from your website(s)
and/or auction(s). This includes not only removing PayPal as a payment
option, but also the PayPal logo and/or shopping cart. We thank you in
advance for your cooperation. If you have any questions, please contact
the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy Department at aup@paypal.com.

Sincerely,
PayPal Acceptable Use Policy Department
PayPal, an eBay Company

So for now, the Greendot reloadable debit card is my only option.

If they can't take a joke, fuck 'em!

April 14th, 2009, 05:50
I split this topic because I think it was getting burried in the original topic. Thanks to the 6 of you so far who have contributed $20 each.

Would you like me to match what's been donated so far? Can Jinks and it's done.

krobbie
April 14th, 2009, 06:52
Okay, who stole the "donate" button under Board Features? Maybe Spike is making adjustments?

Cheers
krobbie

elephantspike
April 14th, 2009, 07:44
Okay, who stole the "donate" button under Board Features? Maybe Spike is making adjustments?

Cheers
krobbie

See my post above. Paypal has ixnayed my account

krobbie
April 17th, 2009, 02:11
I thought this desrved a bump. No good down the bottom of the page.

Now to dontae. I hope it's working today - It would appear under Board Features there is only chat тАв Gallery тАв Blogs тАв My blog тАв calendar.

Oh - now I see there are suggestions down the bottom of the page.

Okay Spike, NO GO. Please inform as to how I am to donate some money?

Cheers
krobbie

April 18th, 2009, 02:42
It's very sad when organisations like Paypal & Google take it upon themselves to act as censors.

I hope someone dreams up a credible alternative to Paypal.

elephantspike
April 18th, 2009, 05:47
Yeah, and they're screwing-up youyube now, too.

Anyway, I think I'm going to go with paysimple, but it costs $35 a month, so I'm not sure.

Smiles
April 27th, 2009, 06:03
On the last version of Sawatdee I always paid straight through with a credit card ... always ignored PayPal anyway. Why can't we just have a link to a visa or mastercard payment page?
Just got myself all psyched up to pay through the nose for this scandalous ragsheet, and no payment options in sight. :rr:

Bob, you're losing Big Bucks by dragging your ass on this.

krobbie
April 27th, 2009, 10:24
On the last version of Sawatdee I always paid straight through with a credit card ... always ignored PayPal anyway. Why can't we just have a link to a visa or mastercard payment page?
Just got myself all psyched up to pay through the nose for this scandalous ragsheet, and no payment options in sight. :rr:

Bob, you're losing Big Bucks by dragging your ass on this.

Yes, very BIG BUCKS smiles. Spike is probably desperate for your five Canadian dollars, which I of course will match with my worthless ten New Zealand dollars.

Really it would be great to get resolved so we can all pay our dues.

Cheers
krobbie

elephantspike
April 27th, 2009, 16:17
Thanks guys. I've been exploring my options, and I'll decide what to use soon. Whatever it is will probably be more expensive than paypal in the long run, though.

In the meantime, USA based people could buy a greendot Visa refill card at any Wallgreens, CVS, 7-11, and similar stores and just PM me the PIN. I think it may be available in Canada as well.