PDA

View Full Version : HELP COMING BACK to PATTAYA 19TH

thrillbill
April 8th, 2009, 22:24
... Will be returning back from holiday (to Pattaya) on the 19th of April. Just realized this is the peak Songkran festival day...so once the taxi reaches Pattaya, will it take me another two hours like it did three years ago to get to my condo in North Pattaya due to the blocked streets, sois full of drunks and crowds?

colmx
April 9th, 2009, 02:04
Depends on the time of day you will arrive back!
And where you live in Pattaya...

All th crowds gavitate south towards Jomtien as the days draws on... so if you are living in North pattaya you should be fine!

thrillbill
April 9th, 2009, 07:59
Depends on the time of day you will arrive back!
And where you live in Pattaya...

All th crowds gavitate south towards Jomtien as the days draws on... so if you are living in North pattaya you should be fine!

Not sure fine is the right word. Sukhumvit Road will be jammed solid with revellers, water trucks, drunks, etc etc. It'll take quite a while to fight your way through it all.
That's how I remembered it a few years ago...Sukhumvit was congested with traffic going at a snails pace, so the taxi driver took a short cut through Naklua which was even worse (day of their celebration). It got so out of control that the drunks were rocking the taxi back and forth and pounding on the window. It would have been faster to walk from Sukhumvit but I had a heavy bag with me. North Pattaya (the main street to use to get to my place on Wagamat Beach) was also blocked at times. ....Maybe I'll return on Friday instead. :idea:

April 9th, 2009, 23:39
....Maybe I'll return on Friday instead. :idea: [/i]

Sensible move - the idea that "All th crowds gavitate south towards Jomtien as the days draws on... so if you are living in North pattaya you should be fine!" may be true for farangs, but the opposite is true for Thais since as the day draws on the "festivities" traditionally move towards Naklua. Fatts is spot on; using the road alongside the railway may save you some time on Sukhumvit, but once you are stuck on it you are completely stuck.

dorayme
April 12th, 2009, 09:10
Why not stay in Bangkok on the 19th and return to Pattaya on the 20th. You can relax and not have any problems.