PDA

View Full Version : Business class upgrade

April 7th, 2009, 07:51
I am not a miilionaire, but am getting past the stage of taking cattle class for anything over 3hrs or so. Will still fly Air Asia and Jetstar etc for short hops but anything over will take business class if possible. Premium economy is not an option for me on the route(s) that I fly to and from Thailand, i.e., Perth - Phuket, Bangkok-Perth, or alternatively, Bangkok-Singapore-Perth.
Last year, or was it the year before? (can't remember - early onset alzheimers/korsakoffs - ya know how it is) I upgraded from economy to biz class from Bangkok-Perth at BKK airport (just couldn't face 9 hours in cattle with aussie tourists getting pissed after their 6 day wonder tour of Thailand) and was surprised at how much the upgrade cost compared to listed prices on internet or direct with Thai - much cheaper, but for the life of me I can't remember specific details.
Anyone got any tips on the best way to upgrade? Specifically this trip Perth-Phuket, and Phuket-Bangkok (I know that's a bit lavish, but what the hell) like wise Bangkok-Singapore
I am already ticketed to Phuket and Bangkok, but have yet to ticket Bangkok-Singapore.
Singapore-Perth is already ticketed biz class.

Any practical suggestions most welcome, especially the winning numbers for this weekend lottery

Tks

atri1666
April 7th, 2009, 09:04
Long flights with TG are always 26000 baht for upgrade (eco to business or business to first or 52000 baht from eco to first) - i have done already many times. Within asia you go to the counter at the airport and pay between 4000-8000 baht for your upgrade. Its more cheaper to upgrade than to buy the original ticket ( first class return around 5-8000тВм from europe but with upgrade from eco only 2800-3100тВм).

April 7th, 2009, 09:16
Recommend you read this website.
http://www.flyertalk.com/

Wesley
April 7th, 2009, 09:27
Long flights with TG are always 26000 baht for upgrade (eco to business or business to first or 52000 baht from eco to first) - i have done already many times. Within asia you go to the counter at the airport and pay between 4000-8000 baht for your upgrade. Its more cheaper to upgrade than to buy the original ticket ( first class return around 5-8000тВм from europe but with upgrade from eco only 2800-3100тВм).
Cathay Pacific, if you are a member of the Marco Polo club will upgrade you free as often as possible. Its totally up to the ticket person however, if they are available and you have a card they are inclined to keep you in the club and to keep you on Cathay Pacific. I was impressed with the lat trip. Very business like very kind and a really good place to sleep the trip away. The fool excellent and the staff very kind. I would fly them as often as possible when ever I could. I had bought my nephew a gutar for Christmas, security would not allow it on the plane as he strings, they said, wee a security problem. Cathay pacific after I had already give the guitar away to him showed up on the plane with the guitar in hand and put it above my seat Sayign, We have no such policy so, he caried it around securuty for me, now that is service.

Wes

April 7th, 2009, 15:30
me4thai, try and ask TG staff at check-in for standby upgrades. If available they'll upgrade for paying a supplement.
I have done this many times when flying TG.

I recently upgraded a flight from BKK to SYD and that was THB 22000 one way (eco to biz).
TG offer these upgrades on all flights when available. Supplements will depend on distance.
Shorter flights within Asia (up to 4 or 5 hours) will set you back between THB 8800 and 10800 per segment. Perth should probably be the same than what I paid for the Sydney upgrade.

The good thing is that they accept the upgrades from any booking class, even the heavily discounted promotion fares that won't earn you miles. These upgrades can be cheaper than booking a biz ticket right away.
You can book an economy ticket to Australia for roughly THB 30000. Add the two supplements of THB 22000 and the fare is still cheaper than for most biz tickets on TG, which will set you back about THB 80-100k or more,when booked on their website.

maisoui
April 7th, 2009, 17:51
Why not just buy biz in the first place. If you buy early you'll find that that even on airline's own sites you can get a good deal. Resellers like expedia will show you choices.

April 7th, 2009, 17:55
Fair comment. I tend to book late as most of my journeys are work related. Therefore it works out cheaper at times to do it this way. Also the company does not pay for all of the biz class fares and I upgrade myself once in a while.