PDA

View Full Version : ASEAN SUMMIT IN PATTAYA

thrillbill
April 5th, 2009, 09:12
...I wonder what Pattaya City Hall has up their sleeves to make "Sin City" look like a "well groomed" international metropolis to the delegates attending the ASEAN Summit? The summit in Pattaya City will be from April 9-12, the Royal Cliff Hotel being the meeting place but other 5 star hotels, such as the Dusit, will also be hosting part of it. Security is going to beefed up around these places. (mmm-will the diplomats and delegates be able to sneak out at night and visit the tourist sights?)

Side note: The ASEAN conference was suppose to be held last fall but had to be canceled....then when the April date was confirmed, the officials in Bangkok discovered that the hotels in Bangkok were full (good planning) ; thus the ASEAN conference was transferred to the fun resort city of Pattaya.

thrillbill
April 9th, 2009, 06:55
Since I wrote this, the international flags are up, the satellite electric billboards are strung across the city, and the police are out doing "road checks". Also the Pattaya police chief was transferred out of here due to the rock going through the PM's SUV rear window during the PPP protest in Patttaya Wednesday...(Doesn't security believe in bullet proof glass for their leader's security?) Here is an interesting article in the BKK Post talking about canceled plans to take the dignitaries to Tiffany's.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1 ... ld-leaders (http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/14752/pattaya-ready-for-world-leaders)

April 9th, 2009, 10:20
Bangkok hotels were full?? Hard to believe.

quiet1
April 9th, 2009, 10:45
I may have missed an episode, but as I recall they moved the summit meetings from Phuket to Pattaya because Phuket hotels were full. I don't think Bangkok was in the equation due to the political demonstrations there. Little did they know that red shirts would be aplenty when Abhisit's cabinet moved its meeting to Pattaya the other day...

April 9th, 2009, 11:23
I think it was some sort of an ASEAN conference in Bangkok months ago that had to be moved to Hua Hin for fears of a yellow shirt (not red shirt) protest (not hotels full).

April 10th, 2009, 01:28
Also the Pattaya police chief was transferred out of here due to the rock going through the PM's SUV rear window during the PPP protest in Patttaya Wednesday...

Maybe it was something to do with the rock-thrower being allowed to go outside for a cigarette after being arrested and taken to Soi 8, then quietly walking away unidentified ??

Patexpat
April 10th, 2009, 10:09
Several thousand red shirts have just driven past my office on third road - I suspect that it might be an idea to extra vigilant when out and about today ...

puckered_penguin
April 10th, 2009, 10:32
Several thousand red shirts have just driven past my office on third road - I suspect that it might be an idea to extra vigilant when out and about today ...
Were they in a pick-up or a bus?

Patexpat
April 10th, 2009, 10:44
It was a huge pickup with about 2,000 seats .... doh!

giggsy
April 10th, 2009, 10:45

motorcy

krobbie
April 10th, 2009, 11:07

motorcy

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaha.

Jeez giggsy, you'll make me wet.

But what I really want to know is did their shoes match their shirts?

giggsy
April 10th, 2009, 11:33
there's something not quite right about this protester..i just can't put my finger on it