PDA

View Full Version : Isaan Music

April 1st, 2009, 14:36
First - can someone give me a definition of Isaan music?
Second - where in Pattaya to find -I think there was a late night place not far from Boyztown where the bar boys go after work

TrongpaiExpat
April 1st, 2009, 19:34
I guess there's a technical definition for Isaan music but not knowing much about the mechanics of music, I just know it when I hear it. There's some Eastern vocalizations that sound like repeating high tones with a few musical instruments from the region but then augmented with full western drum sets, guitars, a few horn instruments and electronic pianos/synthesizer. There's no string and bow instruments.

The singers are generally in traditional dress with back up dancers in more western attire doing syncopated moves. The rhythm is fast and has an umph, the lyrics are melodic but you can's whistle the toon. The language is Isaan, not Central Thai and not really Lao either but closer to Lao than Thai. Lao has there own versions and stars and Isaan people shun it.

All over Isaan and in major cities in Thailand there are Isaan concerts and are very inexpensive. They are out doors, plastic mini-chairs, performed on a cheesy stage with speakers the size of Mack trucks on both sides. There's Isaan high melodrama between song sets with crying and tales of lost love, lost dogs and fishing. There are comedy routines with midgets, children and much of it quite non-PC. In Bangkok, they start at 7 or so and run to 1am. In Issan they start at 7pm and run till the next day around noon.

April 1st, 2009, 19:47
Second - where in Pattaya to find -I think there was a late night place not far from Boyztown where the bar boys go after work

There used to be a place called Cham Esan (or something similar) at the junction of South Pattaya Road and Third Road but last time I looked it had gone.
There's another bar that is Isan style at the bottom of Thapphraya Road nearly under the flyover, just down the hill from Mr.Macs Hotel. Sorry, I can't remember the name.
Another alternative is to ask any bar boy to take you to an Isan bar when he finishes work.

TrongpaiExpat
April 1st, 2009, 20:31
[youtube:33h0vae7]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGiREv9GUgg[/youtube:33h0vae7]

TrongpaiExpat
April 1st, 2009, 20:36
[youtube:1clkvfnf]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsyFCsn3GyM[/youtube:1clkvfnf]

April 1st, 2009, 20:52
There's an Issan/Luktoong concert in Pattaya this week on Sunday 5th, on 3rd Road in the large open /usual concert area just before the turn-off to Big C.

joe552
April 2nd, 2009, 01:23
Last time in Pattaya I was brought to a place roughly behind Big C on 2nd Road - near the Nova? Great big barn of a place, huge stage, great atmosphere, few farangs. Really enjoyed the night (expect to pay for your entire party, though).

April 2nd, 2009, 03:08
Almost all Isaan boys love this oldie and will hoot holler and dance when they hear it wherever they are.

[youtube:3gzxfo3i]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_xumKoQQjg[/youtube:3gzxfo3i]

pong
April 3rd, 2009, 20:31
what gone fishing mentions mght very well be the new every sunday @ 18.00 LIVE TV-program of LOOK THOONG. FUN! you can even see it on any computer in this world with web-find channel 5 Thai TV. The last sundays in march it was at the Suan Lum Nite bazaar in BKK.
There is more as just 1 type, but mostly it is that LOOK THOONG (=child of the ricefields), and there are numerous very popular bands playing it. Often also even for PLU great to look at-those singers! and the dancers! In BKK there are 100s of often very, very big places with shows, dance, food+drink, amusement (and often girls+boys for hire too). Its some time I was last in PTY-but then all along 3d road-going south from South Road-were full of wooden shacks offering the same. As above: just ask any not overfresh isan boy in town and he wll know and be VERY glad to accompany you.
besides that is the more heavy and not too often heard plaeng chiwit=songs of life. About having to go for work to big city, beaing cheated, the loved one at home ran away etc-same-same like in any language. BOys eitehr love it or hate it.
And then there is the classical-mostly with dance- type that is mainly aiming at tourists or at some honorific situation.