PDA

View Full Version : How many GAY TOURIST

March 31st, 2009, 03:09
Does anybody know how many gay touist are coming per year to Thailand (Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket etc)?
Any statistic or reports somewhere in the internet?

March 31st, 2009, 08:24
How would you suggest such figures could be collected or estimated?

A simple percentage of all tourists would be distorted by the fact that in some markets Thailand has a reputation. Amongst older gays I think it plays positively for Thailand. Amongst younger gays it may play negatively.

pong
March 31st, 2009, 20:56
just a reasoned guesstimate:
yearly nr of visitors about 13/14.million, and the majority is not at all coming from english-speaking countries
I suppose-in line with the general postings on this forum/site, you only mean gay males? Anyway-I have never ever heard of a lesbian/female expressly visiting Thailand for that reason.
Males are overrepresented in visitor nrs-as are singles, this compared to about any other well-visited country.
So (just fo avoid complexity-lets assume that gay visitors are all single and male)-that would make about 7/8 million-of which certainly a higher % as usual would be gay-lets guess 10%-that would make it 7/8 ''saen'=the Thai nr. word for 100.000. Or slightly under 1.000.000. About any tourist enters via either BKk or Phuket airport nowadays-those coming in overland tend to be those coming back from Laos/Cambodia or so. or about 80.000/month-but that would assume there were not high and low seasons.
But dont under-estimate the nr of Singaporese who fly in a dozen times/year or so. And the highest % of visitors is and will be Malays-for short border hops-they all count as tourists. From those who have to fly in the Japanese make out the biggest %. From Europe both the Germans and Swedes are overrepresented (I mean the % of those visiting LOS here), as are Australians. US and Canada remain grossly under-represented. (there are lists of how big a nation group has to be to have 1 visitor to Thailand in 1 year).

maisoui
March 31st, 2009, 22:28
But dont under-estimate the nr of Singaporese who fly in a dozen times/year or so. And the highest % of visitors is and will be Malays-for short border hops-they all count as tourists. .

They are seriously under-represented this week. Maybe they are rolling up Easter, Qing ming and Songkran. I've heard they are the last people on Earth who enjoy Songkran.