PDA

View Full Version : beer prices

March 27th, 2009, 06:13
Whats the average price of a bottle of beer now in pattaya, as im told that David of Ocars is now charging 140bht a bottle. Is the true or not?

markie1
March 27th, 2009, 06:19
What ┬г2.74 for a bottle beer thats outrages for a bar ,with no entertainment.

March 27th, 2009, 06:26
http://www.oscarspattaya.com/menuf.jpg

March 27th, 2009, 06:35
What ┬г2.74 for a bottle beer that's outrages for a bar ,with no entertainment.

Well if it's really outrageous, people won't pay it & the bar will close. Market forces.
No point in complaining about bar prices, when there's always another bar somewhere close.

Do remember these prices seem much worse as the Pound's finally lost value after 12 years of financial debauchery by the UK Labour government.

March 27th, 2009, 08:46
What ┬г2.74 for a bottle beer thats outrages for a bar ,with no entertainment.

This is the guy who questioned chickenboy for writing English too well to be a Thai guy? He writes better than you, man.

March 27th, 2009, 09:03
Well sadly Thailand is suffering a major downturn now with regard to tourism, in the UK they lower prices to make themselves competitive and promote their business more to encourage to keep themselves afloat. A typical example would be more "sales", special promotions on food, hotels etc.

Now, not in Thailand, during a recession, they put up prices and in turn put themselves out of business.

Of course, if one has a solid business in the first place they can weather the storm.

Air Asia have recently introduced the London KL route, in turn Malaysia Airlines have even undercut Air Asia to keep themselves in business, that is the sort of promotions one needs. However, I think Air Asia's management is obviously business focussed and Malaysia Airlines have pulled out the stops to ensure they can part of this "run" also. Makes good business sense.

I think Thailand should start to reduce some of their prices which are not relative to the local economy anyway. An average local would certainly not pay some of the two-tier pricing structure they have in Thailand.

Personally, I don't think they will do anything, all that will happen in Thailand is one or two customers will go to these "empty" bars and probably be ripped off to make up for the night's custom.

Smiles
March 27th, 2009, 11:23
You didn't say if you meant a 'small' bottle or a 'large' bottle of beer? 140 baht for a large bottle is probably just over the average, but not by much. 140 baht for a small bottle is way over the average ... with the exception of some Bangkok GoGo bars where a small bottle can be 250 baht.

I would guess the average for a large beer would be in the 90 -120 baht range. You can add quite a few baht to that for an upscale bar in the Marriot, or take some off for a hole-in-the-wall Karaoke Bar in Phra Kanong.
Same same for a small bottle where the average range would be 45-80 baht ... depending on the venue.

Not all bars stock both large and small bottles ... some only large, or only small. Some stock only small Singha, but only large Heineken ... or vice-versa, or any variation on the theme.

giggsy
March 27th, 2009, 12:26
You didn't say if you meant a 'small' bottle or a 'large' bottle of beer? 140 baht for a large bottle is probably just over the average, but not by much. 140 baht for a small bottle is way over the average ... with the exception of some Bangkok GoGo bars where a small bottle can be 250 baht.

I would guess the average for a large beer would be in the 90 -120 baht range. You can add quite a few baht to that for an upscale bar in the Marriot, or take some off for a hole-in-the-wall Karaoke Bar in Phra Kanong.
Same same for a small bottle where the average range would be 45-80 baht ... depending on the venue.

Not all bars stock both large and small bottles ... some only large, or only small. Some stock only small Singha, but only large Heineken ... or vice-versa, or any variation on the theme.

Its worked..All the advertising..People are subconsciously thinking about it.

Not all bars stock both large and small bottles ... some only large, or only small. Some stock only small Singha, but only large Heineken ... or vice-versa, or any variation on the theme

Could you be a little more precise..which bars stock which bottles and how much do they cost?

TrongpaiExpat
March 27th, 2009, 13:22
Most of the Thai venues, those out side of the usual tourist spots only sell large bottles. It's just so un-Thai for a single person to sit alone with a small bottle and not share. Even if you do wonder in a up country venue alone, you will have company provided to share that large bottle and more.

Balcony has this beer of the month for something like 69B. I generally go for the Lao beer for 90B or 100B Dark Lao. Speaking of Lao Beer you can buy it on Lao Island (Chiang Saen) for 200B per sixpack. I am sure it's a lot cheaper if you went to Lao proper but then there's the visa costs. I brought back two six packs.

Corona is often at the top of the price list, I would not drink it if it was free.

Guinness can be quite pricey. British pubs sometimes have specials though.

March 27th, 2009, 16:14
Whats the average price of a bottle of beer now in pattaya, as im told that David of Ocars is now charging 140bht a bottle. Is the true or not?
Well looking at the Menu is is obviously NOT true. It seems 110 Baht is what is charged.

MARK
March 28th, 2009, 11:43
THE KRAZY DRAGON PROMOTION

PostAuthor: MARK on Fri 27 Mar, 2009 11:35 pm
From now until 16th April all DRINKS INCLUDING BOYS DRINKS 99Bht :cheers: :drunken: :cheers: :drunken: :drunken:

Reminder the cabaret show finishes 1st April . :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

I thought I would give you a little discount as I Know how disappointed that you all are that I have axed the show of the year. :pukeright:

March 28th, 2009, 16:46
in general boyztown is pricing itself right out of the market. wont be long now.

March 30th, 2009, 07:24
I was in Soho in London this week and a pint of Lager cost ┬г3.20 (160 bht for people who don't use pounds), remember that is one whole pint, I suspect a bottle of small beer would be in the region of ┬г3.50. Similarly, GAY at Heaven a pint of lager is in the region of ┬г3.50.

At the GAY Bar, they generally have some good specials on, i.e. 1 pint of beer for ┬г2.00, specials at ┬г1.60.

If one goes to suburbia of the UK lager is around and less than ┬г3 a pint. And also remember, there are bars in London, like Corney & Barrow that charge ┬г6 for bottled beers.

Work it out yourself whether you think Pattaya is cheap or expensive. Mind you, best deal is DJ station in my opinion, at 100 bht for a beer or has it gone up.

March 30th, 2009, 12:07
Mind you, best deal is DJ station in my opinion, at 100 bht for a beer or has it gone up.

It's still 100 Baht for a drink: beer, whisky, G+T or whatever.

March 30th, 2009, 14:54
That's very good value at DJ station then if all drinks are 100 bht. That could be the reason why it is so successful, cheap booze.

March 30th, 2009, 16:24
Another debate on beer prices.
As a one visit a year tourist, I don't really have a problem with beer prices in Thailand. There's always another bar...
It's not like taxes, where the consumer has little choice in the matter.

For anyone who does live in Thailand & cares about the prices, how about publishing a table of beer prices & off fees for bars each town? This should make the market more efficient.

lonelywombat
March 30th, 2009, 16:38
I don't come to LOS to nurse a beer for 2 hours, and talk to farang expats

I come to look at boys, look for something that I want to take of and am grateful for the opportunity

I understand that the bar owner has higher costs if he employs boys and if he pays for a show

Thats life. i cannot understand the bitching of the cost of drinks in bars where a show is provided, compared to a bar where you just get a table access a few freelancers and poor service

You get what you pay for. I cannot get access to any bars with go go and off where I come from. I am not and do not complain.

thrillbill
March 30th, 2009, 16:53
I bet the soon to open Venue in Jomtien will have the best prices of all (and you can drink it in their Japanese garden).

thrillbill
March 30th, 2009, 16:57
That's very good value at DJ station then if all drinks are 100 bht. That could be the reason why it is so successful, cheap booze.

--Exactly! DJ's drinks are NOT high in price (200B on weekends for two drinks) and they are NOT watered down. If a bar wants to increase the volume of customers, charge less for a drink...and most people will end up buying another one.

March 30th, 2009, 18:04
I don't come to LOS to nurse a beer for 2 hours, and talk to farang expats

I come to look at boys, look for something that I want to take of and am grateful for the opportunity

I understand that the bar owner has higher costs if he employs boys and if he pays for a show

Thats life. i cannot understand the bitching of the cost of drinks in bars where a show is provided, compared to a bar where you just get a table access a few freelancers and poor service

You get what you pay for. I cannot get access to any bars with go go and off where I come from. I am not and do not complain.

Agree 100%. There's certainly nowhere in Europe with gogo bars that can compare with Thailand.

March 31st, 2009, 09:26
in general boyztown is pricing itself right out of the market. wont be long now.
That is for sure. I think the majority of the patrons to Boyztown are short time tourists and that segment seems to be shrinking.

MARK
March 31st, 2009, 11:02
Hi MARK. I will call in for a beer and hopefully get to meet you while I'm about. I will be the shy guy sitting in the corner probably nursing a hangover. be gentle with me!

Its not me you need to worry about I am the other shy guy sitting on the first table to the left when you enter.

And if you are shy you will either run a mile after your first drink OR you will have the time of your life when you have relax a little.
:thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

April 1st, 2009, 01:27
Im a short time visitor and i only go for a 2 or 3 week stay, but even I tend to want good value for money , due to the poor exchange rate at the moment ie I dont have money to burn or waste