PDA

View Full Version : Howards Pattaya

francois
March 23rd, 2009, 23:43
Howards is a decent place to stay. It was my favorite until I rented a condo for longer stays. Punya is as nice as he seems.

wg10777
March 24th, 2009, 01:22
I stayed at Howards in December last year, i appreciated the stay with my thai bf there. Room was nice, bathroom incl. shower too, no problem with bringing guests inside, i think worth the money.

Dodger
March 24th, 2009, 06:47
Kyle Martin...

I only stayed at Howards once a long while back, but enjoyed it very much.

This being your first adventure in LOS, I think you'rte going to be more than satisfied with your choice. Howards, which I assume you already know, is very conveniently located a stones throw from the Sunee Plaza action, and a short walk to either Boyzrown or the Soi Day/Night entertainment district. Howards always seems to staff hot looking boys who serve as waiters in the lower level lounge area, and of course are more than eager to provide any other services you may request. Just remember, there are many more hot looking boys just down the street.

I envy you, because the first trip is always the best and most memorable. If you're like me, you'll fall in love a dozen times...have some of the best sex you're ever imagined...and turn your whole world around just for the opportunity to return...again...again...and again.

A 1,000 baht tip for a short time will be appreciated, 1,500 for an over-nighter, and what ever you do, don't buy any gold necklaces or mobile phones your first trip. That will come later when you're more experienced like us...LOL

Have a great time!

Marsilius
March 24th, 2009, 15:06
But do not allow them to give you the pokey, lightless (looking directly out onto a brick wall two feet away) hell-hole that is either room 2 or 3 (it's on the ground floor at back left as you look into the lobby/bar area from the street.

March 24th, 2009, 16:16
[Unflattering reference to a named individual deleted at the request of a friend of that individual-E.S.]

March 25th, 2009, 02:04
Am not sure if this is a consideration for you, but apparently Howards doesn't have wifi.

Thankfully there are better things to do with your time in Sunee though.

Smiles
March 25th, 2009, 09:52
Howards is just OK. Nothing special, but certainly nothing bad ... i.e. pretty good for the price.

The larger room(s?) on the top floor overlooking the Soi are by far the best: very large indeed with lots of playing around room. Nice balcony overlooking the come-and-go street action. The smaller rooms are the "just OK" part ... and as mentioned above, a number of them view out onto dirty old buildings next door. A bit bleak.
Mentioned above was the "staff hot looking boys who serve as waiters" hanging around. Well, that's one man's opinion, but mine is not so generous. I thought the service was haphazard, and the guys there pretty ordinary. A couple of wristy fems hanging around the front patio does not a 'hot looking boy' make.
Khun Punya is a nice guy, and very talkative (gossipy really), but also can be very helpful for newbies.
Breakfast in the front patio in the morning is very tasty and worth sticking around the hotel for. I cannot remember if it was included in the room price ... I believe not, but could be wrong.

The best thing about Howards is the location: 3 minutes walk and you're in the middle of Sunnee Plaza (if you want to be!). 4 minutes walk down the soi and you can catch the Baht Bus to Jomtien and the beach, or the other way into downtown Pattaya. 10 minutes walk gets you to Pattaya Beach (if you want to!), and also about the same short walk to Boyztown.

Cheers ...

March 25th, 2009, 10:15
10 minutes walk gets you to Pattaya Beach

Merely steps away, in other words!

dab69
March 25th, 2009, 12:01
10 minutes walk gets you to Pattaya Beach

Merely steps away, in other words!

quite a fast walker?

March 25th, 2009, 12:57
if you dont have a lot of money this is a good option. if you have some to spend there are better more luxarious options around.

Smiles
March 26th, 2009, 11:01
if you dont have a lot of money this is a good option. if you have some to spend there are better more luxarious options around.
That may have killed any chance of Howard's advertising on your website...
Not a problem. No one reads it anyway, besides the moderators.

Cheers ...

rincondog
March 26th, 2009, 22:33
The safes in Howard's are bolted to the floor. They are combination where you set your own code, electronic safes. I think it is Two guys that have the key locks on ther safes that people have complained about needing their own lock.

Brad the Impala
March 27th, 2009, 00:31
I always found that the best way to protect one's valuables was inside a lockable suitcase, preferably with a number access rather than padlock.

March 27th, 2009, 01:41
The safe in my last room in Two Guys came complete with padlock & key supplied.

This has the advantage you could substitute your own padlock if you really wanted to know there was only one key that fitted (not an issue for me, due to the good reputation of the establishment).
The disadvantage is you would need to conceal the key if the objective is to stop your long stay guest walking off with your valuables mid way through the night.

Having a decent safe is the main thing, I can cope with either type of lock, with a slight preference for key pads.

The ideal hotel safe would have a keypad & a fixing lug for an optional padlock of your own. I've never seen this yet though.

Two Guys has wifi, big plus point.

March 27th, 2009, 08:49
I always found that the best way to protect one's valuables was inside a lockable suitcase, preferably with a number access rather than padlock.

What happens when they steal the whole suitcase?

Smiles
March 27th, 2009, 10:29
Another question about Howards, I hear a lot about people taking their own padlocks etc for their room safes, fair enough, can someone explain what sort of lock is needed, size etc? are the safes at Howards built into the wall or do I need a small chain ?

First time and I just want to know my valubles are pretty secure thats all.
Last stay at Howard's the safe was of the digital keypad password style.

Brad the Impala
March 27th, 2009, 17:13
[quote="Brad the Impala":249dsi4r]I always found that the best way to protect one's valuables was inside a lockable suitcase, preferably with a number access rather than padlock.

What happens when they steal the whole suitcase?[/quote:249dsi4r]

Never happened. In my experience hotel staff have more opportunity to steal from guests than the guest's visitors, but both would have to have more face than the average thief to walk out of the hotel carrying your suitcase!

March 27th, 2009, 17:19
The disadvantage is you would need to conceal the key if the objective is to stop your long stay guest walking off with your valuables mid way through the night....
The ideal hotel safe would have a keypad & a fixing lug for an optional padlock of your own.

How about a combination padlock?? These are readily available and save the problems of carrying keys in saunas, gyms, etc.

March 27th, 2009, 20:21
[Unflattering reference to a named individual deleted at the request of a friend of that individual-E.S.]

To my knowledge Punya has only been with one man who has died and that was in San Diego, California some years ago. A week or so ago it seemed as if Gorum was still alive and breathing.

March 28th, 2009, 09:59
Mere steps away.

March 28th, 2009, 10:10
The disadvantage is you would need to conceal the key if the objective is to stop your long stay guest walking off with your valuables mid way through the night....
The ideal hotel safe would have a keypad & a fixing lug for an optional padlock of your own.

How about a combination padlock?? These are readily available and save the problems of carrying keys in saunas, gyms, etc.

I've used these for years, but recently found that cheaply made Chinese ones had a propensity to slip the odd digit while you locked them so woudn't open with your memorized combination but trying the neighboring digits did the trick.

I've reverted to keys, though.

TrongpaiExpat
March 28th, 2009, 12:59
I've used these for years, but recently found that cheaply made ones had a propensity to slip the odd digit while you locked them so woudn't open with your memorized combination but trying the neighboring digits did the trick.

I've reverted to keys, though.

Yes, those dam Chinese . Certainty, it's not my unsteady index digit when I set the infernal thing or not seeing the little numbers or the low light. I am not getting older, the number keys are getting smaller. Same problem with cell phones and some one please turn up the lights.

March 31st, 2009, 09:58
Hello all. not long now til I arrive in Thailand and looking forward to first visit.

I have reserved a room at Howard s Guest House in Pattaya for the duration of my stay in that area.

Has anyone stayed here recently and were you happy with your stay? I have received a few emails from the owner Punya, and he seems a really nice, helpfull guy, and I look forward to meeting him.
Yes, Howards is a good place to stay, although some of the staff are sometimes a little dizzy. I was a walk-in with no reservation and told them I would stay for two nights. The desk man was dismayed and took what seemed like twenty minutes to check me in. Room was ok but a little musty smelling. What can you expect for 600 baht? Punya is a great guy and very helpful, although I did not see him this trip. The desk guy later that day said he had no room for the next night and so I moved. No problem with the safe at Howards, that I know of. I think you are confusing Howards with Two Guys Guesthouse. If you stay at Two Guys, your own lock is a must, if you do not want any problems.

thaiguest
March 31st, 2009, 16:31
If you like candy you've chosen to live over the candy shop for sure and in the candy capital of the world.
I stayed in Howards about 2 years ago. I was given one of the rooms you wouldn't put your mother-in-law in.
My partner opened the window to exhale cigarette smoke and almost fell into the yard below in his efforts to save the tottering frame.
Between the two of us we managed a reasonable d.i.y. job.
I didn't claim a discount at the desk- you know how touchy the Thais are about work visas.
But in fairness there are excellent rooms as well, I'm told.
One tip; do not take off a boy from downstairs (if you feel you want to) until your last few days.
If you do the incumbents of the lobby will take ownership of you and any other visitor will be told in a language you won't understand to butt out and you'll be climbing the stairs alone or with a very nervous Khun Thai.
Enjoy Sunnee and caveat emptor.

bing
March 31st, 2009, 23:29
There is no doubt that Howards Guest House may be likened to a candy store. I have stayed there several times and will be staying there for a week or so in the middle of May. I think you overstate about the guys from lobby frightening a visitor from one of the local bars. Not so, they may know your new friend and have some banter, but it is done in friendliness. Punya woud not tolerate any level of threat among the guys in the lobby. After a day or two you will know the lobby boys and they will know if you want to take them with you or not. You are incharge on your vacation and there is not problem with any visitor you wish to invite back to your room.

An observation I made a long time ago is still apropos, the safe mounted on the floor is very low and you, opps I should say I ,have to get down on your knees to open and close it. As I close in on 70 years, I would prefer one of the rooms where the safe is in the wardrobe. I have found if I fold up a towel and put infront of safe on the floor, it is much easier to open it kneeling on the towel as apposed to the slate floor.

bing
April 1st, 2009, 07:34
That would be Avec Plaisir. I observed you would be in town at the same time I will be there. I'll look forward to the meeting.

thaiguest
April 1st, 2009, 14:18
There is no doubt that Howards Guest House may be likened to a candy store. I have stayed there several times and will be staying there for a week or so in the middle of May. I think you overstate about the guys from lobby frightening a visitor from one of the local bars. Not so, they may know your new friend and have some banter, but it is done in friendliness. Punya woud not tolerate any level of threat among the guys in the lobby. After a day or two you will know the lobby boys and they will know if you want to take them with you or not. You are incharge on your vacation and there is not problem with any visitor you wish to invite back to your room.

An observation I made a long time ago is still apropos, the safe mounted on the floor is very low and you, opps I should say I ,have to get down on your knees to open and close it. As I close in on 70 years, I would prefer one of the rooms where the safe is in the wardrobe. I have found if I fold up a towel and put infront of safe on the floor, it is much easier to open it kneeling on the towel as apposed to the slate floor.

Yes, on reflection i did overstate the the reaction to outside boys and from what I hear the owner is an excellent Thai gentleman. Sorry. No country is more secure in this regard than Thailand and Howards is no exception.
Not so, the menacing hard-core hookers of european gay pick-up bars.
What i intended advocating was a policy of not cultivating the 'home' boys until the last few days. At this stage you'll be regarded as a lost cause and your return to the home turf for recreation will be greeted with that special welcome (effused with sweetness and light) reserved for those who seek true love in vain abroad only to find it at home.

April 3rd, 2009, 09:06
They now have free WiFi in the bar area

April 3rd, 2009, 18:24
After a few changs it's one step forward and 2 steps back with me, so a tuk tuk me finks!
No tuk tuks in Pattaya. Go to the end of soi VC and catch a shared baht bus for 10 baht. As you go up the hill towards Jomtien look for soi 11 and bingo, you walk down the soi and you are at the sauna.

Marsilius
April 3rd, 2009, 21:06
...bingo, you walk down the soi and you are at the sauna.

But unfortunately you may, if their free bus service isn't running, have to hike back up that tiresome slope to the main road!

kodiak
April 3rd, 2009, 23:38
I have also stayed at Howards many times.......The price is good and also the location......!! The service is acceptable. I never ate breakfast there....normally off to the Boathouse......with excellent fried chicken .......

The beds are very hard and not comforatble for me there.......

The safe was good .....and saved me some problems im sure..

The towels are very thin...and not good either

The boys downstairs are mostly annoying fem types.......so you have to set your rules with them early.....

The laundry roght across the soi is very good and convenient....

Not good location for Songkran...as you have no escape out of the Soi without getting soaked..!!!

I would stay there again if needed ...but will prfer to try somehwere new.....and with a softer Bed and Towles...!!

Also the bathroom was just acceptable nothing much to talk about

kodiak
April 4th, 2009, 05:18
Yes they do a good job of that........and it protects you as well.....!!

April 4th, 2009, 11:37
... A couple of wristy fems hanging around the front patio does not a 'hot looking boy' make....

"Wristy Fems"?? That's a new one to me. Maybe we can get them together with the Cat's "Loosey Goosey" boys and really have a party!

For my money the "Wristy Fems" are the funnest boys to be around.

But that's just me.... :geek:

alipatt-old
April 4th, 2009, 14:06
It is 15 months since I stayed at Howards.

It has long been my dream to return and I hope meet again a Front of House guy from Howards that made 5 nights there with him the most memorable period of my 52 years.

April 4th, 2009, 14:18
It is 15 months since I stayed at Howards.

It has long been my dream to return and I hope meet again a Front of House guy from Howards that made 5 nights there with him the most memorable period of my 52 years.

You've led a real exciting life, haven't you?

alipatt-old
April 4th, 2009, 14:21
You've led a real exciting life, haven't you?[/quote]

No - plenty of wishes and little action

bing
April 4th, 2009, 17:38
Alipatt, I know what your posting is saying. I also understand how you may feel about one of the guys who made your visit a Primo event. I felt the same way upon the chance encounter with one of the young guys in Howards lobby. I would encourage you not to be too concerned about anyone who pops out of the ground to toss a grenade and slink back into his burrow.

alipatt-old
April 4th, 2009, 18:44
Thanks for the post ..

I am happy with the memory and feelings that dwelling on it envokes - I now its a little sad at my age that I remember it so well. But no posting is going to change the memory and I put my kneck on the block with my comment - fair enough.

Just wanted to let the origional thread author know that Howards for me was a life changing event .

Ali

Impulse
April 5th, 2009, 09:27
Beach Bunny,You must have led the most dull life I can imagine,with your show tunes,barry manillow,babs,cher,and all the other drizzle music you listen to. :queen: You must have been brought up by gay parents.

April 5th, 2009, 10:20
Beach Bunny,You must have led the most dull life I can imagine,with your show tunes,barry manillow,babs,cher,and all the other drizzle music you listen to. :queen: You must have been brought up by gay parents.

You must have been brought up in a way that you can't recognize sarcasm. Yawn.

May 5th, 2009, 21:36
I stayed recently (for first time) in a Howard's VIP room - I can honestly say that I cannot remember staying in a filthier hotel since my student days, backpacking in Paris hovels. The tiled floor was generally dirty with bits of broken grout lying about. The bath had debris in it, and a cobweb round the rim. The coffee table was all sticky and grimy, clearly not wiped in a long time. I could go on, but I think you get the picture?

The location is excellent. It cannot be beat if you want to party in Sunee, but I think that they, like Tarntawan Place, have fallen into the Field of Dreams trap - build it and they will come so don't worry about customer service. I defintely won't return there.

May 6th, 2009, 01:32
I stayed recently (for first time) in a Howard's VIP room - I can honestly say that I cannot remember staying in a filthier hotel since my student days, backpacking in Paris hovels. The tiled floor was generally dirty with bits of broken grout lying about. The bath had debris in it, and a cobweb round the rim. The coffee table was all sticky and grimy, clearly not wiped in a long time. I could go on, but I think you get the picture?

Yes, thanks for warning us all.

May 6th, 2009, 04:10
Very strange spoonfed99! There must be more to the story. I just spent two weeks at Howards. My room and bath was cleaned every morning including the floor being mopped. One morning I slept very late and the cleaning staff had already finished all the rooms. I told them to forget doing my room but they insisted.

I asked for a smaller pillow and it was brought.
I had guests down from Bangkok for the weekend and asked for an additional towel above the two in the room and they brought it.
Of course I leave a nice tip every three or four days for the cleaning staff.

In the early evening I talked with most of the guy staying there and no one mentioned any problems about their room. The owner/manager is around every night. Did you bring this topic up to him?

May 6th, 2009, 05:11
So, is that hotel the best choice for Pattaya? Or there are other hotels near the action?

May 6th, 2009, 06:18
Francis, being British, I must confess to being a bit backward in coming forward with complaints, but having just spent 14 hours flying cattle class, an hour battling through customs and another hour or so in traffic, the last thing I wanted was to wait even longer for the room to be cleaned.

But even the obvious things were either missed or overlooked. For instance, I thought that the towel lying by the window was an oversight. I did, however, come to realise that this was to catch the incessant drip from the rather ineffective AC unit. I don't think it was changed during my stay because after a night of use, the whole area near the unit was soaked, the towel clearly not up to the job after 2 days.

Now I am in Phuket, paying 800 baht per night for a far better hotel - it has a nice pool, much nicer room, equally friendly staff. It is not a gay hotel, just a regular, gay friendly hotel that is not out to exploit people, or at least does not feel it can exploit them and stay in business. For my room in Howards I paid 1500 per night - then they presented me with an extra bill for the 2 bottles of water I used during my stay to brush my teeth (2 bottles per day free here in Phuket!).

I understand that in these difficult times business struggle to make ends meet, but to focus on a niche market and the provide a relatively crap service is somewhat short sighted and cynical, I think.

As for tips, I generally tip at the end of my stay (I was advised once to tip well on day 1 and again on check out. I really should get into that habit). But as a bleeding heart liberal, I am confident that generally I tip above average, and even this time I gave them more than I think they deserved!

atri1666
May 6th, 2009, 08:38
For my room in Howards I paid 1500 per night - then they presented me with an extra bill for the 2 bottles of water I used during my stay to brush my teeth (2 bottles per day free here in Phuket!).

I have had a look once and for me the "VIP-Room" is totally overpriced - same quality you get for around 800 baht already. In this case i would prefer BDM more.

May 6th, 2009, 09:16
Now I am in Phuket, paying 800 baht per night for a far better hotel - it has a nice pool, much nicer room, equally friendly staff. It is not a gay hotel, just a regular, gay friendly hotel that is not out to exploit people, or at least does not feel it can exploit them and stay in business.

Would you care to share the name of this establishment?

May 6th, 2009, 11:03
Sure - the hotel is called the Andaman Hill Hotel, located maybe half way between Club One Seven and Paradise Complex on Nanai Rd: www.hotelandamanhill.com (http://www.hotelandamanhill.com)

May 6th, 2009, 11:14
Sure - the hotel is called the Andaman Hill Hotel, located maybe half way between Club One Seven and Paradise Complex on Nanai Rd: http://www.hotelandamanhill.com

Thank you.

jimnbkk
May 6th, 2009, 20:45
I went to the Andaman Hill Hotel website, but the Special Offers page comes up blank and there's not 'rate' page. Hard to make lodging decisions without knowing how much a room costs.

May 6th, 2009, 22:27
Hi Jimnbkk - I spoke with the manager and he told me that they are still redesigning the website, but that the prices will be online soon.

I actually booked my room a couple of weeks back via http://www.latestays.com/andaman-hill-hotel/

Then the rooms were at 800 baht per night but I notice that they have now come down to 750 baht per night. Still, 800 is an absolute bargain in my mind.