PDA

View Full Version : Gym in Silom

March 19th, 2009, 18:57
Hi - having finally seen the light and given up on Tarntawan Place, my new favourite hotel does not have a gym (admittedly neither does TP, but they do sell overpriced tickets to the gym in Thania Plaza) so can anyone recommend a decent gym in the Silom area that allows access to non members?
Thanks.

March 19th, 2009, 21:04
I got used to those B200 tickets to that gym in Thaniya Plaza, too. After I got sick of Tarntawan -- about four years ago -- I'd still go Thaniya Plaza. They'd let me up there for the same price and always remembered my name. . Then they sold the club to a different chain and raised the price. So I headed to California Wow Fitness Center on the corner of Silom and Convent. Turns out the place is a bargain. Lot's of equipment, enough to keep you there for hours each visit. And the place is crawling with talent. I could not keep my eyes from straying.

But there are several things I miss about the Thaniya Plaza gym (what was it's name, anyway?). First on the list is the pool and sundeck. I used to really enjoy relaxing up there. Second is the food bar next to the pool. I had some awesome lunches up there. And the protein shakes were great, too. Also, they set you up with everything a tourist who wants to go to the gym needs -- a towel, T-shirt, shorts, sock, even sneakers.

California Wow doesn't have any of that stuff. And you need to bring your own lock for the lockers. But still, as far as working out and eye candy go, it's an awesome gym.

Good luck.

krobbie
March 20th, 2009, 01:33
Hi - having finally seen the light and given up on Tarntawan Place, my new favourite hotel does not have a gym (admittedly neither does TP, but they do sell overpriced tickets to the gym in Thania Plaza) so can anyone recommend a decent gym in the Silom area that allows access to non members?
Thanks.

spoonfed99, what is new favourite hotel ... or is it a secret?

Cheers
krobbie

March 20th, 2009, 03:49
Motel69, thanks for the advice - I will definitely head there. It also has a great position for street watching too, I think?

My new favourite hotel is the Bally Suites Hotel, almost next to Coffee Society - friendly staff, good rates and very accommodating...

March 20th, 2009, 03:51
btw - I think the gym in Thaniya Plaza was previously part of the Clark Hatch chain. I'm not sure who owns it now.

March 20th, 2009, 05:40
California Wow in Silom charged 300 baht per visit, maybe more nowadays.
And they don't accept foreign membership now.

March 20th, 2009, 06:31
Bad news about the no-foreigner rule. I was there in January and they practically begged me to take a 15-day membership for B1,500. I thought that was a pretty good business model. Pull as many tourists off the street as possible and quick-sell them cheap memberships knowing that 90% of them will rarely, if ever, use the place.

March 20th, 2009, 08:12
Is it a "no foreigner" rule, or they don't allow access to members at reciprocal clubs outside of Thailand?

Zyxel-old
March 20th, 2009, 10:23
btw - I think the gym in Thaniya Plaza was previously part of the Clark Hatch chain. I'm not sure who owns it now.
It is Body Torque, from Hong Kong I think.