PDA

View Full Version : koh samet ... any help?

netrix
March 19th, 2009, 02:58
Hi...

I'm planning to spend 2 or 3 days on Koh Samet this trip and need some advice.
Has anyone had a great stay they can recommend? I've never been to the island
so any advice on where to stay, what beaches to see, things to do, restaurants,
bars, etc would be great. THANKS!

March 19th, 2009, 03:51
It was lovely and unspoiled back in the mid eighties, but then again so was I!

Dodger
March 19th, 2009, 06:12
netrix,

I've been there many times and enjoyed each trip.

Take mossie spray along this time of year and carry a backpack. Don't pack more than a few pairs of shorts and t shirts, and walking around barefoot is the fashion on the island.

I have stayed at several beach front bungalows on the Sai Kaew side of the island, and find them all to be about the same...just basic rooms with showers. Sai Kaew is the town on the island and has plenty of seaside restaurants, a few bars, although sometimes busy with tourists mostly from Bangkok.

My favorite place for lodging is at the Ao Prao Resort on the far side of the island, although this place is expensive by Thai standards. Beach front bungalows go for about 4,000 baht/night, but are worth every satang. The resort is located on a secluded and private bay on the far side of the island. The water is crystal clear...great for snorkeling...great restaurant (a bit costly)...and probably the most romantic setting on the island if that's you cup of tea. Each bungalow has its own private front porch nestled in coconut palms, and just a few yards from the waves. Just wonderful !

My suggestion would be to avois weekends if you can, as Koh Samet gets a lot of Thais from Bangkok for weekend getaways. The mid-week is always less hectic.

Avoid Von Duen Beach unless you enjoy being swamped with a lot of tourists. Chow Bay, Wai Bay and Kewna Norg Bay are good diving spots if you want to give this a try. Whatever you do, don't go diving alone. Equipment rentals are available all over the island for a reasonable price. Snorkeling is also great fun, the best place is the coral reefs at Ao Proa Bay. Evan if you don't lodge at Ao Prao you can taxi across the island and use the beach. The only cost attached to your visit would be use of there concession chairs if you elect to rent one (or two).

If you like seafood, you'll be in heaven. Like most islands, this is the main staple, and the seaside restaurants at Sai Keaw are just great.

Bring a deck of cards along, especially if you plan to bring more than one boy along. If you are going with one boy, try to plan some day time activities or else he'll be bored stiff.

One more bit of advice: Go to a local pharmacy in Pattaya and ask a bottle of gel (can't remember what they call it) for jelly fish burns. All of the islands, incluing Koh Samet are highly poplulated with jelly fish this time of year, and surprising to me, you can't find this gel anywhere on the island if you need it. Enjoy the water, but be aware of your surroundings all the time. A sting from a normal jelly fish is not the end of the world, although id you get nailed by a "sea wasp" it's a different story. Sea Wasp's are a smaller breed of jelly fish which get caught up in the tides and float in from Audtrailia, believe it or not. You can distinguish this species from the others easily, as they have much smaller body diameters (about the size of a small bread plate) and have much longer tenticles (about 5') as compared to the normal and less painful species with their 2' tenticles.

I've just gone through the trouble of explaining this to you because a Japanese couple (apparently newlyweds) were killed by sea wasps off the coast of Koh Samet back in 2005. I hesitate saying this to you, as I don;t want fear to ruin your trip, although believe that a person needs to be prepared so these accidents don't happen.
Have a great trip

March 19th, 2009, 08:16
Koh Samet is still wonderful in many ways.

Saikeaw beach is great but stay at Saikeaw Beach Resort, a bit more than the rest but run as a proper hotel.
It is not worth staying in the cheap 600 Baht bungalows which are dirty and mosquito and available all over the island.

Vongduern Beach is also really nice, and unlike Dodger says not that busy at this time of the year. Stay at Vongduern Resort or Vongduern Villa, both ok.
Next to Vongduern Beach is Ao Cho, the next bay which is beautiful and very quiet - Ao Cho Resort is good.

Ao Prao is OK, I used to stay there in my early visits, but every night you need to get to the other side of the island to eat as the 3 resorts restaurants are pretty poor and very expensive - that means a taxi for 150 Baht one way and a very bad road to get only to Ao Pai which is not that great.

Go for my top 3, you'll be happy, and take a friend as you will not find one there.

And all the Dodger scare stories about jelly fish are like the Lonely Planet guides advisories - If you read everything, you'll never want to go anywhere because of this of that. In 18 years of regular visits to Samet, I do not remember seeing any jelly fish - yes there are some mosquitoes, so take preventative measures, that's all.

Enjoy

March 19th, 2009, 08:40
Can you see Miramar from Samet? I understand there are killer jellyfish in the Moei River in Chiang Mai, too.

Dodger
March 19th, 2009, 08:41
JomtienGayGude Wrote:

And all the Dodger scare stories about jelly fish are like the Lonely Planet guides advisories - If you read everything, you'll never want to go anywhere because of this of that. In 18 years of regular visits to Samet, I do not remember seeing any jelly fish

If you have been visiting Koh Samet for 18 years and never once saw a jelly fish, in 18 years you have never been in the water.

I don't remember a sngle trip where I didn't see them...have been stung by box jelly fish multiple times, and once by two sea wasps which stayed colied around my body until I reached shore. My bf Su arranged a speed boat to get me back to Rayong where I received medical attention.

I don't avoid going places because of the fear factor, as I plan to return to Koh Samet in April, although always felt it useful to be knowledgeable of the terrain, and strongly suggest that others do the same.

June 5th, 2009, 21:10
Hi Dodger,

I've been a bit slow to pick this up but I am intrigued by your statement about box jellyfish at Koh Samet and particularly your personal contact and the deaths of the Japanese newlyweds.

Are you able to elaborate on any of this please? I've been looking into the box jellyfish situation in Thailand and your input would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know and if you're prepared to go into any detail on this thread great or we could message, email, whatever.

Many thanks!

June 7th, 2009, 04:22
Koh Samet is still wonderful in many ways.

Saikeaw beach is great but stay at Saikeaw Beach Resort, a bit more than the rest but run as a proper hotel.
It is not worth staying in the cheap 600 Baht bungalows which are dirty and mosquito and available all over the island.

Enjoy

Stay in their Deluxe Cottages as they are VERY different than their Superior Rooms, it's really two different hotels.
You;ll generally find the best price on Agoda.

This place is a bit pricey, but if you're just going for a couple of nights I suggest splurging at this hotel and going cheap in Pattaya. While a 600 baht place is completely acceptable to me in Pattaya, you're not going to have a happy honeymoon on Samet for 600 or 1200 or 1800 baht.

June 7th, 2009, 09:03
if you are taking a companion Ao tub tim is a gorgeous quiet beach and a nice stroll to the nightlife.

June 8th, 2009, 23:47
If you have been visiting Koh Samet for 18 years and never once saw a jelly fish, in 18 years you have never been in the water.

I don't remember a sngle trip where I didn't see them...have been stung by box jellyfish multiple times, and once by two sea wasps which stayed colied around my body until I reached shore.

Agree with you about jellyfish on Koh Samet and many Thai islands, Dodger - I had thought this was pretty well known. I think you are confusing your jellyfish, though, as box jellyfish and sea wasps are different names for the same thing - they are now being found more frequently in Thailand and a 10 year old Swedish girl died from a box jellyfish on Koh Lanta last year.

Forget about any gels or any other magic potions - the immediate treatment in Australia, both on the beach and in hospital, is liberal dousing with vinegar (the stronger and smellier the better).

June 9th, 2009, 01:01
Is it difficult to find companions on the island?

June 9th, 2009, 09:46
Is it difficult to find companions on the island?

Best to BYOB.