PDA

View Full Version : Ayutthaya

Surfcrest
March 31st, 2006, 20:42
Ayutthaya
If you are looking to experience some of the sights of Thailand that make this truly an exotic country to visit, make sure that on at least one visit you take the time to see Ayutthaya.
You donтАЩt need to travel all the way to CambodiaтАЩs Angkor Wat to experience one of the wonders that makes Thailand the truly exotic experience it is.
Having been to Angkor Wat, I can tell you that Ayutthaya equals if not exceeds Angkor with breath taking sights that are not all the same from one to another.
Ayutthaya includes Sukhothai and Khmer styles as well as a style mainly seen in Burma (Myanmar).
Perhaps Ayutthaya isnтАЩt as big or as spread out at Angkor Wat is, but this in itself will make visiting each of the sites more economical and easier to achieve.

Ayutthaya the old city is an island, surrounded by the Chao Phraya River with many stunning sites on the same island that you are likely to find cheap, yet comfortable accommodation. I was able to see all of the sights on the island in the morning (starting at 9:00 am) on a bicycle. Probably the better option for seeing more would have been to hire one of the many 3-wheeled tuk-tuks offering this service. These tuk-tuks charge about 200 baht an hour to go wherever you want. The best option is to choose one that knows where to go and can offer you a tour of the best of the best.
Unless you know each site well, it ii important not to choose the site you are visiting by how impressive it looks from the outside. If you donтАЩt hire a guide, at least bring yourself a guide book that indicates the highlights of each site. Many of the sights that are highlighted in postcards at are unlikely spots.
While there are many ruins on the island, many more are situated on the other side of the river making a bicycle an unlikely method discovering them all in a reasonable amount of time. Add that with the heat of the day, the bicycle route would probably wear you down quickly, once the sun reaches its peak and the heat gets unbearable.
Maybe it was because that I visited at the beginning of the low season, but I was surprised that there were so few tourists at each site and in many instances I had each site to myself.
This makes photography ideal.
Not in Peru, Guatemala or Mexico..I have never seen such wonders with so few tourists to spoil a photo opportunity.
If you want to take your time and do more than simply photograph the ruins, 3 days would probably be a minimum if you wanted to include Bang тАУPa In on your itinerary.
You can reach Ayutthaya easily by bus, minibus, and train and through special arrangement by boat from Bangkok.
It is also easily accessible from many other points up country.

Surfcrest

March 31st, 2006, 22:27
I was able top see all of the sires on the island in the morning

Clearly, this was something to do with breeding horses, but what were you up to? Anyway, from the rest of the post you seem to have been doing it in private so thankfully we'll never be offered the DVD version on Silom Road. :colors:

Marsilius
April 1st, 2006, 00:32
I cannot agree with the judgement of Ayutthaya vis-a-vis Angkor Wat.

Yes, Ayutthaya is very impressive - but it has been very sanitised by TAT and completely lacks the atmosphere that you find at Angkor where many temples are completely overgrown by encroaching vegetation.

For antyone visiting Ayutthaya, book the package that takes you there by coach and then brings you back to Bangkok on the riverboat with a buffet meal included in the price. A great way to see the countryside.

manfarang-old
April 1st, 2006, 04:58
I must agree that, while Ayutthaya is well worth visiting, Angkor Wat is breathtaking and truly one of the world's "must see before you die" destinations.

April 1st, 2006, 05:03
...thanks for your recent very informative posts. You seem to be enjoying yourself!
It gives visitors to Th like me something to plan into my next trip (between visiting the bars of course!) :bounce:

Surfcrest
April 1st, 2006, 11:08

Yes, Ayutthaya is very impressive - but it has been very sanitised by TAT and completely lacks the atmosphere that you find at Angkor where many temples are completely overgrown by encroaching vegetation.

For antyone visiting Ayutthaya, book the package that takes you there by coach and then brings you back to Bangkok on the riverboat with a buffet meal included in the price. A great way to see the countryside.

Maybe its a little tit for TAT, but don't you think your response is just a little contradictory?

First you complain that Ayutthaya is sanitized by TAT and then you recommend the TAT super sanitized bus / boat tour. Do they stop later at MikeтАЩs in Pattaya for the shopping tour too?
That would be worth even more than the buffet.

Keep smiling 

Surfcrest

elephantspike
April 1st, 2006, 12:28
The thing about places like Ayutthaya ( or Sukhatai, or Chiang Mai, or dozens of other places in Thailand), is that these places are all living communities. Of course they don't need to be excavated. Thai culture never died in these places. They have been populated continuously for centuries.

Would you consider the Washington Monument, or Westminster Abbey, (for example), to be more authentic if they were "overgrown by encroaching vegetation"?

pandorasbox-old
April 1st, 2006, 17:19
Another very enjoyable post from Surfcrest.
Having been lucky enough to visit both Ayutthaya and Angkor several times I think for me Angkor comes out on top for its sheer scale and indeed state of decay.
The downside to Angkor is the vast amount of tourists you have to fight you're way through( yes I know I was one). Never had that problem in Ayutthaya.
Both cities are places to visit and enjoy for their own accord

April 2nd, 2006, 04:33
Frankly I see enough broken down old monuments in Soi Prostitute (or indeed my own mirror) that I don't want to hike off to see jungle-covered ruins. I recently visited the Taj Mahal and on noticing the fabric crumbling in some areas naively asked about preventative maintenance. "Oh no!" was the reply. "Then it wouldn't be authentic."