PDA

View Full Version : The Rain Comes...

Surfcrest
March 31st, 2006, 19:35
When the rain comes
When it comes to rain, not many do it better than Vancouverites.
It doesnтАЩt just rain in Vancouver, we have so many names for rain depending on how itтАЩs coming down. From a mist to a downpour we have a name of it and everything in between.
We donтАЩt use the term torrential downpour, as we really donтАЩt get it that bad, although I have heard the term used by the folks living in Tofino.
IтАЩm not sure what they call it here in Thailand, but there are times when it rains here when it goes far beyond even being torrential downpour.
Drops as big as your fist make umbrellas redundant. They smash into the sidewalk beside you, soaking you whether you are holding an umbrella above your head or not.
Rain so hard that it chokes the sewers in mere minutes.
Wakes forming behind passing traffic, waves crashing over the sidewalks and splashing against the buildings.
On Wednesday woke up in the middle of the night thinking that I had forgot to turn some tap off in the bathroom and that I was in the process of being flooded out.
On Thursday I was just finishing dinner in Lopburi when the apocalypse hit.
While the rain could be seen as a welcome relief to the smell of monkey feces splattered all over the sidewalks near Prang Sam Yot, the waves sloshing up to my knees as I tried to walk back to my room had to beтАжтАж.
Bangkok during the monsoon floods in much the same way, although there it is more the rats that pose the problem.
In Ayutthaya the day started a photographerтАЩs dream, with heavy cloud and muted heat.
By afternoon, it had cleared yet had stayed remarkably cool for a Thai summer afternoon.
By early evening the clouds set in as I drifted aimlessly around the city on the Chao Phray River , watching giant unidentified fish surface all around my boat.
And as I celebrated another great day by eating probably the same fish on sticks at some unidentified markets, the first drops fell.
Any now I sit here writing this, the third night of rain in Thailand.
Pounding mercilessly against the street stranding me at this cafe.
The rain, It always comes in three doesnтАЩt it?

Surfcrest

Bob
April 1st, 2006, 05:15
"And as I celebrate another great day by eating cousins of theirs on a stick at some unidentified markets, the first drops fall."

Your sitting in an internet shop in LOS waxing poetic about rainfall???
Surf, you ain't drinking enough! :drunken:

Edit: Or getting laid enough! :cheers:

April 1st, 2006, 05:56
On Thursday I was just finishing dinner in Lopburi when the apocalypse hit
I'd have thought describing a tropical storm as apocalypse is somewhat debasing the English language (aka. hyperbole)

April 1st, 2006, 05:57
I love the rainy season in Thailand, all the shiny wet everything.