PDA

View Full Version : Le Meridien Hotel Bangkok

sydneyboy
March 14th, 2009, 05:28
Has anyone stayed at the (relatively) new Le Meridien on Surawong? If so comments appreciated in particular on the pool and fitness facilities.

krobbie
March 14th, 2009, 05:49
Has anyone stayed at the (relatively) new Le Meridien on Surawong? If so comments appreciated in particular on the pool and fitness facilities.
I haven't stayed there but saw it being built over time. The situation of the is fantstic. Only one block over and easy to get to by short cutting through the soi just up and across the road (v. busy road I might ad) is Sala Daeng BTS stop.

Of course soi 4 just up the street from the hotel ans soi twilight as was mentioned above just a block away.

I look forward to some other reports. I know there are a few here who stayed as soon as it opened.

krobbie

March 14th, 2009, 06:20
oops

sydneyboy
March 14th, 2009, 06:36
Khun Jon

You are talking about a different hotel. Le Meridien only opened very late last year.

fedssocr
March 14th, 2009, 07:19
I was a bit surprised at the high rates at opening. Seems like hotels usually offer more attractive opening rates. Their website is a bit of a mess. If you want to reserve a non-smoking rooms it will only show you certain very expensive rooms for example which is rather bizarre.

TripAdvisor.com has some reviews up. Most are pretty positive except one that was shocked that the hotel is right in the middle of the "red light district" which seemed to be a problem for that person but is obviously a huge plus for most of us.

I plan to spend a couple of days there later this year.

sydneyboy
March 14th, 2009, 13:31
Thank you fedssocr. I totally agree that the website is a mess and deviod of meaningful visual images. I too put in dates in reservations with the same results as you. I e mailed them and the rates offered were far more generous. I too saw the reviews on tripadvisor and as a result the hotel has shot up the rankings to a think no3 in Bangkok. On another website (flyertalk)it was suggested that some of these early tripadvisor reviews could have been phoney. Tripadvisor is an excellent tool but the reviews have got to be judged collectively over time. I have stayed at properties that have been reviewed before and after my stay and some are spot while others clearly absurd from people seeking to promote a property or negative reviews from people with axes to grind. On the other hand expectations differ. I was looking at recent reviews on Tripadvisor for the Grand Sheraton Sukhumvit. One review had the only only negative feature of the hotel being a small pool. Another recent reviewer described the pool as the best they had ever experienced in a hotel. Any further comments on Le Meridien welcome.

March 20th, 2009, 01:41
they have a bar/restauarant called Bamboo Chic - great martinis but the food and service was so so when we went in January. might have improved since.

website says that they have circular beds? sounds a bit austin powersish....

lo-so
March 22nd, 2009, 18:21
The mention of Bamboo bar reminds me that the Oriental's Bamboo bar operates a rather good happy hour (BOGOF) between, if I recall correctly, 5 - 7pm. It makes their Bombay Martinis' bearably priced and of course perfectly made. A nice watering hole to bring friends who have not previously been - as if one ever really needed an excuse!

In vino veritas.