PDA

View Full Version : Big C Mall Phone Pattaya

dab69
March 12th, 2009, 17:09
yearly I use the international phone at the Big C Mal in Pattaya.
10 Baht/min is way cheaper than hotel rate of 130bT/min.

But AFTER using the phone for ~20 minutes to USA the lady informed me
"sorry sir I forget to tell you this area code is 15 bT/minute
, all area code in USA not same same"
lying through her fat faced teeth.

haven't been clipped here in years though,
and had a pleasant stay

thrillbill
March 12th, 2009, 17:17
I know you'll get some members here to say what is 5 baht difference...but if you live here and not for just a vacation, you will get tired of the "forget to tell you" crap ...or the total screw ups the workers in the "service" industry can do on ordering a meal even though you speak clearly to them and have them repeat what you order. My favorite scam???? is when I ask a waiter/waitress if they have a light beer, they'll say yes...and then I will ask for a Singha light and the waiter brings out a regular Singha beer-same thing with Coke lite ...

March 12th, 2009, 17:45
You're obviously not making yourself understood. When you ask "do you have lite beer", they are hearing "do you have beer", and responding yes. Most waitresses do not know that "lite beer" is a type of beer. They know "San Mig Lite", "Chang Lite", etc., but probably do not know that they represent a specific subclass of beer referred to in English as "lite beer".

Likewise, many waiters/waitresses have never heard of Coke Lite or Coke Zero before if their restaurant does not sell it, and just latch onto the word "Coke" and they're off to the races.

thrillbill
March 12th, 2009, 22:27
You're obviously not making yourself understood. When you ask "do you have lite beer", they are hearing "do you have beer", and responding yes. Most waitresses do not know that "lite beer" is a type of beer. They know "San Mig Lite", "Chang Lite", etc., but probably do not know that they represent a specific subclass of beer referred to in English as "lite beer".

Likewise, many waiters/waitresses have never heard of Coke Lite or Coke Zero before if their restaurant does not sell it, and just latch onto the word "Coke" and they're off to the races.

Yes, I know about the phrasing of things to Thais... like I said above, I do ask for Singha lite...or San Mig Lite...and such but they will come out with the regular beer. Then when I refuse the regular beer, they will say they do not have San Mig lite or Singha lite... There are bars that do carry it and bring it out in the first round of the request.

Bob
March 13th, 2009, 16:22
For what it's worth, I have asked several times for Chang Lite or Singha Lite and found out that they heard me say "Chang Lek" or "Singha Lek"(which, of course, means a small one versus the big one). Perhaps that's happening to you.

March 13th, 2009, 21:00
DonтАЩt blame the waiter or waitress. ItтАЩs the owner who are never training the staff or explaining the drinks. The waiter getting maybe 10% of an European salary but we expecting the same 100% service. ThatтАЩs impossible. And by the way: Why you not learn minimum these few words in Thai тАУ You are here in Thailand. Witch waiter or waitress in your country is able to speak Thai or any other foreign language. But for sure they will get product training and know the drinks. But here in Thailand is even тАЬeducationтАЭ an unknown word.
Especially the Falang owners who always complaining there own staff but when you ask them: тАЬWhen was the last time you did training with your staff?тАЭ They looking to you like you are from other planet. Have a look in the 4 and 5star hotels. They hire a trainings manager to improve the service and even there is not always everything perfect. But please donтАЩt blame the lowest victim from the whole mismanagement.

thrillbill
March 13th, 2009, 21:18
DonтАЩt blame the waiter or waitress. ItтАЩs the owner who are never training the staff or explaining the drinks. The waiter getting maybe 10% of an European salary but we expecting the same 100% service. ThatтАЩs impossible. And by the way: Why you not learn minimum these few words in Thai тАУ You are here in Thailand. Witch waiter or waitress in your country is able to speak Thai or any other foreign language. But for sure they will get product training and know the drinks. But here in Thailand is even тАЬeducationтАЭ an unknown word.
Especially the Falang owners who always complaining there own staff but when you ask them: тАЬWhen was the last time you did training with your staff?тАЭ They looking to you like you are from other planet. Have a look in the 4 and 5star hotels. They hire a trainings manager to improve the service and even there is not always everything perfect. But please donтАЩt blame the lowest victim from the whole mismanagement.

I DO know words in Thai since I work here, but I am not as gifted as you, (I guess) to know how to speak in Thai the words "light beer" in Thai, though I don't think it would make a difference. Many times they are use to the "English" brand name for a product of such (My Thai friends tell me that Thais do not drink a light/lite beer.) Gaydestination: I do know how to say "which" not "witch"! You said: Witch waiter or waitress in your country is able to speak Thai or any other foreign language. :salute: