PDA

View Full Version : brits and pattaya

March 11th, 2009, 02:43
With the Brits getting less than 49bht to the ┬г as of todays trading rates, will more of them decide to stay away from thailand

ceejay
March 11th, 2009, 03:17
Its been hovering somewhere between 49 and 51 for a while now. I'm planning (well ahead - its all part of the fun) for my annual visit to LOS in November. As it happens, I probably won't have any time to fit in Pattaya this time but as far as the exchange rate goes, my break point is Bht 30 = ┬г1. Below that, and I don't go. Similarly, if we go under $1 = ┬г1 then plans to visit Laos are off.

March 11th, 2009, 05:54
With the Brits getting less than 49bht to the ┬г as of todays trading rates, will more of them decide to stay away from thailand

The contrary may be true. Thailand makes your pound go farther. In recent years I've been finding myself more often in other destinations but none render the value for money of Thailand. It's not the baht that is the problem; it's the pound and that's the case wherever you go.

March 11th, 2009, 08:29
Unless there is a drastic in UK's economic, specifically debt policies, then I don't see the pound getting any stronger. It baffles me that the US is in a worse position that the UK, yet the dollar has rallied against the UK pound - until the dollar weakens against sterling then we have to put up with a weak pound to the bht.

The majority of Asia is also in a bad state with regard to the recession, so why are they pounding at the UK pound.

Food for thought though, some of the Eastern European countries are having major financial problems and their currencies have been going "ape" recently, places like Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Poland are the main ones.

The Phillipines seem to be getting a good raport on here also - its probably cheap alternative, as is Bali.

The pound "has had it" certainly until interest rates in the UK go up.

March 11th, 2009, 10:27
it may be bad news for the brits but the americans keep seeing steady gains in the exchange rate. maybe well have less brits in thailand and more americans!

March 11th, 2009, 16:17
Unless there is a drastic in UK's economic, specifically debt policies, then I don't see the pound getting any stronger. It baffles me that the US is in a worse position that the UK, yet the dollar has rallied against the UK pound - until the dollar weakens against sterling then we have to put up with a weak pound to the bht.

The majority of Asia is also in a bad state with regard to the recession, so why are they pounding at the UK pound.

Food for thought though, some of the Eastern European countries are having major financial problems and their currencies have been going "ape" recently, places like Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Poland are the main ones.

The Phillipines seem to be getting a good raport on here also - its probably cheap alternative, as is Bali.

The pound "has had it" certainly until interest rates in the UK go up.

You know, Whitedesire, you really must get out of this habit of thinking that exchange rates are somehow related to underlying economics. Such a relationship would be very bad for currency traders.

BTW your first sentence needs "change".

March 11th, 2009, 16:21
Just look how strong the Japanese yen is now, if you don't believe it. Their economy is in the shitter, yet their currency is way strong.

Wesley
March 11th, 2009, 17:28
Just look how strong the Japanese yen is now, if you don't believe it. Their economy is in the shitter, yet their currency is way strong.

Indeed running better than the dollar here by a about a point,

Wes

March 11th, 2009, 19:59
You know, Whitedesire, you really must get out of this habit of thinking that exchange rates are somehow related to underlying economics. Such a relationship would be very bad for currency traders.

Dunno how you work that one out! Interest rates, debt, currencies, GDP, it's all "economics". Or did we go to the wrong school!

March 12th, 2009, 02:22

Dunno how you work that one out! Interest rates, debt, currencies, GDP, it's all "economics". Or did we go to the wrong school!

I expect you did.

March 12th, 2009, 03:50

The Japanese have lots & lots of cash, built up selling stuff abroad.
They are now selling less abroad, but still have all the cash accumulated.
It's a lot better than running an economy based on borrowing & importing, like the US & UK.

Alaan
March 12th, 2009, 07:48
I won't be staying away....Obviously It really all depends on each individuals financial circumstances.

But personally....I have been visiting since 2000 3-4 times per year....i kept up regular visits through bird flu/political unrest/airport problems/ fluctuating exchange rates etc.. over the years.... so I for one, will not alter plans to visit again 1st June because of the exchange rate...before when the rate was bt65-bt72=┬г1 I looked at those times as a bonus....

also........one always has the option of cutting back in spending when the rate drops to compensate if you really need to... without compromising on the enjoyment level... stay in the Karnmanee at Bt1500 not the Tarntawan at bt3000 when in bkk... both equally enjoyable to stay in .....but for different reasons.. in my opinion there are many things one can do to reduce the daily cost to take account of a lower exchange rate without necesssarily affecting the sanook levels.... e.g..less long-nights in the late night disco/karaoke in exchange for more sleep actually might be more enjoyable ...certainly beneficial to enjoying daytime activities.

Another option i will be exercising on this trip will be(although not primarily for cost savings).......instead of staying in Pattaya for 10 nights @bt1500-1700 for a decent place..i will stay in my guys village resort for 5 of the 10 nights @bt350 per night...just as enjoyable for me... as well as being much cheaper for entertainment costs (whisky/karaoke/inviting friends for a get-together etc...)

Also (for me)...... the cost to get to Thailand from Scotland has not changed THAT much in 10 years.... it has always fluctuated...my first trip in 2000 on BA economy via London was ┬г680. my forthcoming trip via Amsterdam is ┬г580 in klm economy.

so as far as i am concerned the rate at bt40-50=┬г1 will not affect any decision to visit... i am however...looking forward to the exchange rate slowly building upwards in favour of the ┬г during the year. It would certainly be nice for those living in Thailand with a sterling income to enjoy bt55-bt60=┬г1 later in the year.