PDA

View Full Version : Nationwide charges for overseas card use

March 9th, 2009, 21:31
I saw this in the press recently:

Nationwide has shocked its customers by introducing charges for using its credit and debit cards outside the EU. Find out what it means for travellers, and how you can reduce your credit card expenditure while youтАЩre abroad

Remember that advert for Nationwide тАУ you know, the one where the manager of a nasty other bank justifies charging customers for using their credit or debit cards overseas?

Well, weтАЩre not likely to see it again. The building society has announced that from 6 May it will charge a fee of 0.84% for each Visa credit card transaction in most non-EU countries.

An identical fee will be imposed on Visa debit card transactions from 1 June, before both rates are increased to 1% on 1 July тАУ just in time for the peak holiday season.

MasterCard to follow?
While the changes wonтАЩt immediately include the companyтАЩs FlexAccount cards, which are provided by MasterCard, itтАЩs likely that these will become subject to a fee in due course.

Elsewhere, Thomas Cook is also introducing a similar charge. From 18 April, the company will charge a foreign exchange fee on overseas purchases, plus an extra handling fee of 2.99% on cash withdrawals.

Nationwide has defended its decision to pass on the Visa charges to customers. Spokesman Steve Blore highlighted the need to тАЬmaintain the balance between offering competitive products while ensuring they are sustainable in the long termтАЭ.

He also pointed out that the companyтАЩs cards remain free of commission and confirmed that customers using their cards in Europe will not be subject to charges, as the Visa fee is not applicable in the EU.

Not surprisingly, consumer advocates have criticised the move. Martyn Saville of Which? described it as тАЬincredibly disappointingтАЭ. He added that тАЬNationwide had been a shining light to the credit card industry with its no-fee policy on overseas purchases тАУ itтАЩs a shame theyтАЩve now sold outтАЭ.

Saville also pointed out that AbbeyтАЩs Zero card and the Post Office credit card are now the only cards not to charge extra fees for foreign transactions.

March 10th, 2009, 02:25
Choice is being reduced in the financial services sector, due to all the recent bank & building society failures & mergers.
We can expect further deterioration in product offerings.

As least a 1% charge for overseas cash withdrawals is better than the miserable 2.75% charged by many other banks.
It's time to see if anyone else has a better offer.

March 10th, 2009, 06:06
It's back to Travellers Cheques for me, in some instances, these are free from commission when originally buying them.

April 2nd, 2009, 18:38
... and remember, these Nationwide charges only apply outside Europe.

Brad the Impala
April 6th, 2009, 01:54
... and remember, these Nationwide charges only apply outside Europe.

While this may be true, the statement that you quoted said that the fees would be applied outside the EU, not outside Europe.

April 6th, 2009, 03:50
Brad the Impala,

ahh, yeah good point, I suspect it is Europe not the EU, need to check on that one, although I do remember looking at Nationwide's site or somewhere on the internet and it gave a breakdown of each country i.e. whether the charges to that relevant country or not, but need to locate that info when I have more time.