PDA

View Full Version : Look Kreung (mixed race): touchy topic?

pong
March 7th, 2009, 09:34
Look=child,kreung=half, its the Thai word for mixed race people, mostly from a Thai mother and a farang father (could also be Japanese or whatever of course). Lately they seem to be a big hit in the Thai entertainment-models, TV, shows etc. Tongchai McIntyre (aka as Bird- a famous singer) is one. I would like to hear a little of your ideas:
1.it seems to me they over overrepresented in the flesh-trade compared to daily life. I wonder- if their fathers would still be there - if they would approve? But most seem to come from broken families.
2.they seem often to be able to speak english better-maybe thats also something in the genes, or maybe early training- it seems best to learn feeling for a language at young age
3.my main point: I always tend to think it must be a very touchy subject and never ask. Some will venture it spontanously, and I also know that Thai can be very nosy and straightforward about some things (O, you are so fat!)-but also have a deep ''kreng jai''=compassion to avoid touchy subjects - and none has given me a clear answer in this.

Bob
March 7th, 2009, 10:26
The Thais I have talked to about this don't seem any more concerned or embarrassed about it than when another yank is telling me he's part Irish, German, Lithuanian, or whatever. Everywhere I look in Thailand I seem to see a wide mixture of the various races and cultures. Of course, just asking anybody you really don't know at all what ethnic background he might be is probably a little awkward/insulting in any culture (and I presume the hearer thinks somebody's wondering as to why he looks so "strange"). I do have a habit of asking various boys where they are from and occasionally the issue of ethnic background will politely enter the conversation (but, frankly, not that often unless I know the kid somewhat). I do get a kick out of the reaction at times by Thais when they learn that I am of German and Irish ancestry (it takes them a moment to contemplate that I'm not just of "American" ancestry).

On the other hand, many Thais I've met seem to have a fetish as to how "white" one looks with "whiter" meaning good and darker (like chao na - rice farmer) being lower class. But, to be fair, most of my discussions about this with Thais occurred in Chiangmai where there's a significant Chinese (white) presence.

As concerning Bird, he's about 54 (?) now and has been around Thai music for 20+ years (and certainly over that time span one of the most popular singers in Thailand).

March 7th, 2009, 10:46
Mario Maurer seems to be quite popular here at the moment - every second advertisement seems to feature him. Nobody seems to have any problem with him being mixed race.

March 7th, 2009, 10:52
I have only ever found a few mixed-race boys in the sexpots of Bangkok and Pattaya. Do you really think they are over-represented? In any case, it is a non-issue for most Thais. Quite the opposite, actually: mixed race has been "cool" in Thailand for at least a couple decades.

latintopxxx
March 7th, 2009, 11:29
It is clear that throughout Asia the whiter the better, all the ads show white westernised models, in China brides get married in white which is the Chinese colour of mourning; such is the pull of western culture.

Get the impression that generally speaking, and i am generalising, Asians are blind to their beauty and it often takes a western eye to appreciate their natural non whitened/westernised beauty; sad but true.

But it is a love/hate relationship as in some countries such as Vietnam the mixed race children were the result of casual realtionships between US military and local women so they are relegated to the lower rungs of society.

bigben
March 7th, 2009, 15:38
Actually Mr. Thongchai McIntyre (Bird) is 50 years old.

I wish I looked that good at 50.

If I was 10% as handsome as Mr. Bird, maybe I wouldn't have ended up such a no good dirty Ba$dard annoying those Politically Correct Goodie Two Shoes old whiners with my second hand Cuban cigar smoke. :kos: :kos: :kos:

URL Text (http://www.phuketwatch.com/thai-music-artists/bird.htm)

netrix
March 7th, 2009, 22:33
in my experience it's a positive thing to be accused of being part or all
japanese or korean or chinese. if you're a halfy - asian/farang - even
better. a friend of mine in bkk likes to pretend he's japanese or chinese
just for fun.

March 7th, 2009, 22:55
It is clear that throughout Asia the whiter the better, all the ads show white westernised models, in China brides get married in white which is the Chinese colour of mourning; such is the pull of western culture.

To match the colour of the kitchen appliances ... where they so rightfully belong :king: