PDA

View Full Version : Freeloaders or Friends

foodforthought
March 3rd, 2009, 01:58
How many freeloaders are there here in Pattaya? What do you do put up with them to be polite, or tell them where to go to. I thought I was Well-mannered but, I had some friends arrive, well who I thought was friends they totally abused my hospitality.
They told me there had been a problem at the hotel where they had booked; they asked if it would be possible to stay with me for a couple of days. I told them of course, but 10days later after the deletion of my drinks cabinet and food I asked them what is happening. I wonтАЩt go into details about their story but it was farcical, I told them to leave. Perhaps my fault for not being a better judge of character I donтАЩt think so, more like they are con artists who donтАЩt just do this type of thing with one person they know but many. Talk about being vigilant thank goodness not everyone is like that.

March 3rd, 2009, 02:39
How many freeloaders are there here in Pattaya?
They told me there had been a problem at the hotel where they had booked;

LOL There is more than 1 hotel in Pattaya,I would have pointed them in the direction of the nearest one..Are these "FRIENDS" members of this board by any chance???

Patexpat
March 3rd, 2009, 09:51
Foodforthought, you have my sympathy .... when we were choosing where to buy a house, we decided on a location that was way too far out of the centre to be attractive to any visitors but handy enough for us to have a 15 minute commute in to work or for a night out - has worked like a dream - we get to see visiting family and friends but on our terms!

zinzone
March 3rd, 2009, 10:37
Sounds to me they have badly abused your hospitality so would not be too hard on yourself as how are you to know they were freeloaders, and its a lesson learnt.
They are not people to be called friends.
You say you told them to leave, so have they?
Could always give or send them a bill including for food and drink consumed!

catawampuscat
March 3rd, 2009, 10:51
Sound like freeloading leeches but did they pay for your dinner when
you went out to restaurants and drinks if you went to a bar? :idea:
If not, then you are far more patient than most or have deep pockets and
a large house.

Some men play the big shot role and insist on picking up tabs and showing
everyone how much money they have and are able to spend. If this was the
case, it might explain their thinking :idea: but still not friends and at least you
learned a valuable lesson and will not repeat this mistake.. :cat:

Geezer
March 3rd, 2009, 19:19
тАЬat least you learned a valuable lessonтАЭ

It has been said experience is the best teacher. The problem is that it gives the test before teaching the lesson.

thrillbill
March 3rd, 2009, 19:28
Were they Fillipino?

March 4th, 2009, 18:39
They don't need to be visitors to Pattaya to be freeloaders. Unfortunately Pattaya has many of them.
My number one experience is that a so called 'millionaire' made friendship with me. We went out to diner on many occasions. We decided to take turns in paying at each occasion. However when it was my turn to pay we ended up going to, shall we say, a more expensive restaurant, but when it was his turn we ended up at the lower end cost places.
On one occasion I recall when it was his turn to pay we ended up at a place that was 99 Baht per person.
Unfortunately it took me too long to cotton onto this as he is very clever at this.
It it well known now that he orders such things as peria water when someone else pays but ordinary water when its his turn.
Why are there so many freeloaders around here ? :angryfire:

March 5th, 2009, 01:40
The only people I would invite to spend a few days with me would either be very good friends who I know well & can trust, OR a friend who's excellent company, cute & good in bed.

Was the millionaire you met called Brandon?

Wesley
March 5th, 2009, 09:22
Were they Fillipino?

Indeed,

Wes

MARK
March 5th, 2009, 12:47
Strange I donтАЩt mine so much when somebody is honest with me and says they are down on there luck or thing are a bit hard at the moment, I donтАЩt mind asking them if they would like to tag a long when we go to eat or popping them an extra drink in the bin occasionally something like that, even helped with return air fairs home for some people strangely never to be disappointed and always repaid.
I canтАЩt stand the I am the man attitude, I am the biggest spender in the bars in Pattaya you should take care of me and kiss my butt or I may go else where that type of attitude.
Buy a couple of rounds the sit waiting for drinks to be sent over then sulk if there not. Even been asked by this type of customer why do you talk with them they only drink draught chang.
Had such a customer borrow 7000bht because it was late and did not wont to go to exchange booth like an idiot gave it him, not to see him again for 12 month and with the most shameless lie about it being repaid a long time ago but live and learn,
In England we call this fur coat and no knickers.

March 5th, 2009, 17:58
And then there's the ex restaurant owner that borrowed money all over, even from the mafia. Mainly from straight people though that did not know too much about him. Totalled up to over eight million baht in all. Now he's lost his business and seems to have gone to ground.
Promises to pay back were never a possibility.
It's a shame that there are so many freeloaders here in Pattaya but it takes a new person starting to live here time to sort this out. Why does Pattaya have so many.?
I could also mention an ex friend (or so I thought) that claimed to be a brain surgeon. Turned out to be a florist !!
Can you beat that one ?? :flower:

lo-so
March 5th, 2009, 22:14
repeated post

lo-so
March 5th, 2009, 22:14
Gordon,

To claim to be a brain surgeon whilst the most clinical equipment that he probably ever professionally wielded was for pruning roses strikes me as totally delicious and suggests a rather imaginative and entertaining chap. If so then his fables should be enjoyed for what they are, and priced accordingly- i.e., a few drinks for his company.

There is a surfeit of boring old farts around and as so long as one remains sufficiently skeptical (never lending money to such characters or providing too much personal info) then on a boring night they can prove an amusing diversion.

By the way it is not simply in Pattaya that such characters abound - spend any time in the beer bars of Soi Twilight and they will magically appear. For the English contingent it is somewhat akin to an episode of "Mr. Benn". It is only on their return home that they have to, once again, face stark reality. More of them I say - here is to all the Walter Mitty vagabonds!

In vino veritas

P.S. from Wiki "Mr Benn is a character created by David McKee who appears in several children's books, and an animated television series of the same name transmitted by the BBC in 1971 and 1972. Whether in a book, or on television, Mr Benn's adventures take on a similar pattern. Mr Benn, a businessman wearing a black suit and bowler hat, leaves his house at 52 Festive Road and visits a fancy-dress shop where he is invited by the moustachioed, fez-wearing shopkeeper to try on a particular outfit. He leaves the shop through a magic door at the back of the changing room and enters a world appropriate to his costume, where he has an adventure (which usually contains a moral) before the shopkeeper re-appears, and the story comes to an end. Mr Benn returns to his normal life as a businessman, but is left with a small souvenir of his magical adventure"

foodforthought
March 6th, 2009, 02:34
don tang Yes I know there are many hotels here, but I did think these people were friends. They told me that the hotel had got the wrong dates they had been booked in 2 days later than their arrival. That is why I said they could stay in my home.

zinzone Yes they did badly abused my hospitality, I had told them they could stay at the house I was going away on business but my house cleaner would see to them, you can imagine my surprise when I returned home to find them still there. They told me they had been back to the hotel and they had a huge argument with them about the mix-up so they left and thought I would not mind them staying in my home. I told them to leave right away, yes they left.

catawampuscat I do have a lot of patient, if I had thought for a moment that they would do something like this I would never have let them stay.

thrillbill they came from England.

z909 I understand what you are saying, I thought these people were friend I had know them for many years and I had never heard about them doing anything like this to anyone before.

Mark Fur coat and no knickersтАЩ is very appropriate for these two, I have now sent e-mails to mutual friend that we have in England telling them what wonderful people they are.

giggsy
March 6th, 2009, 07:36
damn .. you answered every question except for "are they members of sgt"

foodforthought
March 6th, 2009, 12:51
giggsy I am sorry I didnтАЩt answer that question, I donтАЩt think they are, but of course it is a information board, so it could be advantageous for them to see what business is giving things away. On second thoughts they could be.

giggsy
March 7th, 2009, 00:52
in that case can wes run a poll on who we think they are???