PDA

View Full Version : Fish and Chips

foodforthought
February 25th, 2009, 01:38
If a new traditional English fish and chip shop was to open in Pattaya selling take away, which area would you like it to be in? What would you think a reasonable price would be for take away fish and chips?

February 25th, 2009, 02:33
They would have to pay me to eat it.

colmx
February 25th, 2009, 02:41
I think that the walking street/South Pattaya area is crying out for a decent chip shop
(Especially with the amout of lager louts you see on walking street!)

Unfortunately 130-170B is the max i can see for take away... especially as you can get sit down roast dinner in the area for 200B and the hamburger joints around there are cheaper...

By the way hope the battered sausages won't be those horrible thick ones like they have in Simons in Jomtien... I like my sausages long and thin :clown: :albino:

Patexpat
February 25th, 2009, 09:10
funny you should mention battered sausages colmx - I can recommend the chippy in Soi Khao Noi that do a lovely, long slender pork sausage in a crispy batter - and served by a VERY cute waiter ... fish isn't bad too!

colmx
February 26th, 2009, 02:36
Hi Patexpat...Soi Khao Noi? Is that somewhere east of sukhumvit?
I hard of a chipper over there...but never felt the desire to cross Suk to get to it!

From the lack of posts here... it would seem that the gay community aren't interested in a chipper.... even though Simons in Jomtien is very well supported by Gays...

Foodforthought:- I suggest you re-post this query on thaivisa

Narakmak
February 26th, 2009, 04:35
I think Jomtien near the beach would be ideal for a chippie takeaway. Probably closer in than the complex. Simon's is quite expensive so there is space for good takeaway at a lower price. I think 120 is about right, obviously not cod for that. I would like to also see squid and chips as well. This is popular in California which has excellent squid and so does Thailand (and very cheap to source) so I think offering that as an option would be a great way to differentiate a new business.

February 26th, 2009, 05:28
It would need an Englishman/woman to run the business as apart from the English nobody has really got a clue as to what 'real' fish & chips are supposed to taste like.

Nonsense. Fish and Chips, like tempura and custard tarts is Iberian in origin.

And, another thing; I don't haul my arse halfway round the world to partake of food that is served quite adequately round the corner.

giggsy
February 26th, 2009, 08:34
It would need an Englishman/woman to run the business as apart from the English nobody has really got a clue as to what 'real' fish & chips are supposed to taste like.

Nonsense. Fish and Chips, like tempura and custard tarts is Iberian in origin.

And, another thing; I don't haul my arse halfway round the world to partake of food that is served quite adequately round the corner.

complete drivel - fish where invented by god and chips where invented by belgians. tempura mattresses are ok but i prefer a sprung mattress. and all "tarts" where invented in liverpool especially the custard varity.. i myself prefer whinberry tarts otherwise known as huckleberry tarts in the usa..and invented in india by a load of three by twos..

fyi wikipedia says it originated in the uk and the bbc web site says it originated in france
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_and_chips
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3380151.stm

Patexpat
February 26th, 2009, 10:59
Hi Colmx - yes it is in 'The Dark Side' at the far side of Sukhumvit. To be honest, when it first opened the batter was too heavy and dark, but now it seem practice does make perfect with the fish nicely cooked and 'real' chips made from 'real' potatoes .. and MUCH cheaper than Simon's ... not sure it's worth a special trip but if you are out that way worth a try called, surprisingly "THE GREAT BRITISH CHIPPY". If you get to the yellow bank on the right hand side you have gone too far by about 50 metres!

mahjongguy
February 26th, 2009, 15:51
Hi Colmx - yes it is in 'The Dark Side' at the far side of Sukhumvit. [snip] If you get to the yellow bank on the right hand side you have gone too far by about 50 metres!

Well, I've got a car but no idea to get to this place. If I'm headed north on Sukhumvit, do I go past Central Pattaya Road? North Pattaya Road?

Driving around here is adventure enough even when you know where you're going.

February 26th, 2009, 16:10
A caveat: It would need an Englishman/woman to run the business as apart from the English nobody has really got a clue as to what 'real' fish & chips are supposed to taste like. :cheers:

You know you've slipped into some parallel universe when people are talking about needing an Englishmen to properly prepare food. Whatever it is, you dump it into a pot of boiling water or boiling oil and cook the shit out of it. If it tastes like mattress stuffing, mission accomplished. If you suffer from ptomaine after eating it, it gets a royal seal from Princess Anne.

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/33000/Prince-Charles-Princess-Anne--33213.jpg

Wesley
February 26th, 2009, 16:15
They would have to pay me to eat it.

Indeed

Wes

Narakmak
February 26th, 2009, 16:42
People who live here, Brits or not, sometimes want some fish and chips. I like fish and chips and I often see people of different nationalities, Japanese/Russian/Chinese, eat them. Maybe it would be daft for a Brit on short holiday to eat fish and chips here but that group hardly represents the entire local market. I would be the first to agree that traditional British cooking is not the best in the world but that doesn't mean fish and chips can't be a very satisfying dish.

Patexpat
February 26th, 2009, 16:50
[/quote]mahjongguy Well, I've got a car but no idea to get to this place. If I'm headed north on Sukhumvit, do I go past Central Pattaya Road? North Pattaya Road?

Driving around here is adventure enough even when you know where you're going.[/quote]

Ok, directions as best as I can give them!

If you were driving up Pattaya Klang towards SUKHUMVIT turn RIGHT on to Sukhumvit. You pass a CALTEX station on your left, and a bit further on (100 m approx) you turn left in to Soi Khao Noi - there is a 7-11 on the right hand corner with Sukhumvit. Drive past an ESSO station on the right (VERY accommodating staff there, but that is another story :compress: ) across the railway, and you will pass 2 x 7-11's both on the left. The chippy is about 50m on left past the second 7-11 but not easy to spot! If you get to the yellow bank on the right you have passed it by about 50 m.

Hope that helps ...

February 26th, 2009, 17:56
A caveat: It would need an Englishman/woman to run the business as apart from the English nobody has really got a clue as to what 'real' fish & chips are supposed to taste like. :cheers:

You know you've slipped into some parallel universe when people are talking about needing an Englishmen to properly prepare food.

Well, certainly not here in England's capital. If I can find a chippie, it's invariably owned and operated by a Turk, Greek or Chinese. The nearest Thai Restaurant to my office is owned and operated by a son of the take-away whose family came from HK's new territories and the nearest one to my home is operated by Bangladeshis.

Perhaps it's only in Thailand that you find food cooked by the English. I wonder if they have work permits.

February 26th, 2009, 22:56
Well, certainly not here in England's capital. If I can find a chippie, it's invariably owned and operated by a Turk, Greek or Chinese. s

Harry Ramsden's at Euston.

Hardly a "chippy", and anyway not British owned.

"This week another institution, Harry Ramsden's, joined the long list of British brands passing into foreign ownership. The fish and chip chain, founded in a hut in Guiseley near Leeds in 1928, was included in Compass's sale of its service station business, Moto, to an Australian bank and Swedish investors."

Independent, 2006