PDA

View Full Version : 2009: Very Hot Weather Ahead

February 23rd, 2009, 22:03
I remember not needing the a/c at night until late-March last year but it's been on most of the past 10 days. The trend to much hotter weather started in January and meteorologists are confirming that this year is going to be a HOT year in Bangkok and the rest of Thailand. I fear Pattaya's water shortage problems will reappear as well.

More heat and drought - our grim outlook for summer

BANGKOK: -- People in many areas of the country are already roasting under a heat wave of up to 38 degrees Celsius and arid conditions, with the coming summer expected to last to mid-May - and it could be even hotter and drier than last year.

Northern and northeastern provinces will swelter under temperatures of up to 42 degrees in April - including Uttaradit, Tak, Kamphaeng Phet, Nong Khai, Udon Thani, Khon Kaen, Sakon Nakhon and Nakhon Ratchasima, Somchai Baimoung, the director of the Weather Forecast Bureau, said yesterday.

The peak, recorded by the Meteorological Department last year, was 42.4 degrees in April in Mae Hong Son's Muang district.

However, each time the mercury soars to 40 degrees or higher it will not stay there for more than four days, he said.

Smith Dharmasaroja, former chairman of the National Disaster Warning Centre, expressed concern that this summer could be even more of a scorcher than last year, and drier too.

Reports from December 18 to February 2 showed that drought had stricken 13 provinces.

"Although the La Nina phenomenon is expected to trigger more downpours than last summer, rainfall will not be enough for people to use during this hot season," he said.

Agriculture will be affected so people, especially in the Northeast, should find ways to store rainwater for both farm and household use, he said.

Tropical storms with gales of up to 40 to 50 kilometres per hour were predicted.

"Such storms may become a real threat to high buildings, houses and billboards that are not safely constructed," he said.

A storm surge may hit the Gulf of Thailand in May, he added.

Summer diseases, including diarrhoea and rabies, are another thing people should beware of besides dehydration and shock.

Phanomphan Siriwattananukul, director of the Bureau of Occupational and Environmental Diseases, has warned people, particularly labourers and farmers who work outdoors, that they are at risk of sunstroke.

People working outdoors are recommended to drink oral rehydration solutions to protect themselves against drying out.

Others working indoors should drink lots of water and wear clothes made from cotton to absorb heat from the body and listen to soft music.

-- The Nation 2009-02-23

Lunchtime O'Booze
February 23rd, 2009, 23:43
are you stark raving mad ?

Air-conditioning is a must and I spend my entire time ducking from one premise to another as long as the place is like a freezer.

February 23rd, 2009, 23:56
"Others working indoors should drink lots of water and wear clothes made from cotton to absorb heat from the body and listen to soft music."

Only in Thailand :cheers:

lonelywombat
February 24th, 2009, 03:24
I

More heat and drought - our grim outlook for summer

BANGKOK: -- People in many areas of the country are already roasting under a heat wave of up to 38 degrees Celsius and arid conditions, with the coming summer expected to last to mid-May - and it could be even hotter and drier than last year.

Northern and northeastern provinces will swelter under temperatures of up to 42 degrees in April - including Uttaradit, Tak, Kamphaeng Phet, Nong Khai, Udon Thani, Khon Kaen, Sakon Nakhon and Nakhon Ratchasima, Somchai Baimoung, the director of the Weather Forecast Bureau, said yesterday.

The peak, recorded by the Meteorological Department last year, was 42.4 degrees in April in Mae Hong Son's Muang district.

However, each time the mercury soars to 40 degrees or higher it will not stay there for more than four days, he said.

-- The Nation 2009-02-23

It seems to be a world wide trend, temperatures here hit 46.9 in the capital, during the bushfires. It the north of the state 48.7 was recorded Once there was only a couple of days over 38 per summer. There seems now however to be fewer hot days but when it gets hot it is near record levels . At almost the start of march and it is still uncomfortable, With a forecast of just 22 today it is such a welcome relief

lonelywombat
February 24th, 2009, 05:29
It seems to be a world wide trend, temperatures here hit 46.9 in the capital, during the bushfires. It the north of the state 48.7 was recorded Once there was only a couple of days over 38 per summer. There seems now however to be fewer hot days but when it gets hot it is near record levels . At almost the start of march and it is still uncomfortable, With a forecast of just 22 today it is such a welcome relief

I THOUGHT YOU OZZIES LOVED A GOOD BARBIE

I dont think that 200+people burned to death and hundreds if not thousands homes and businesses destroyed is a laughing matter Right now we are still facing bushfires out of control and an early warning for 38 + Friday. Firefighters are flying in from overseas to try and help contain the damage and loss of life. An unusual sense of humour you have, to say the least

http://www.theage.com.au/national/firef ... -8g2d.html (http://www.theage.com.au/national/firefighters-battle-new-outbreak-of-victorian-bushfires-20090224-8g2d.html)