PDA

View Full Version : Severed Head Found

February 23rd, 2009, 05:30
According to Colonel Chavalit Prasobsilp the head was that of a 40yo man.

http://nationmultimedia.com/2009/02/23/ ... 096349.php (http://nationmultimedia.com/2009/02/23/headlines/headlines_30096349.php)

Severed foreigner's head found hanging from a bridge
By The Nation
Published on February 23, 2009

The head of a man, believed to be a foreigner in his 40s, was found hanging from a rope at Rama IX Bridge in Phra Nakhon district yesterday.

The head was apparently put in a plastic bag and hung from the bridge's railing.

When it was found at about 2pm, the plastic bag was detached from the head, revealing a gruesome sight. A doctor estimated the victim had been dead for at least eight hours.

Two sentences, "I want but I cannot тАж," and "I came to Bangkok to be you" were found written on the railing, said police chief Colonel Chavalit Prasobsilp.

He will wait for autopsy results before concluding how the head was severed from the body.

"We will check the security cameras at the bridge and see if anything related to the incident was captured," he said.

The media was requested to publish clear pictures of the victim's face to help police identify him.

"We need to urgently know who the victim was," he said.

Dodger
February 23rd, 2009, 05:50
Quote:

He will wait for autopsy results before concluding how the head was severed from the body

Yep...don't go jumping to any conclusions...555

It's possible that the guy just didn't have a body to begin with. Sounds like another suicide to me !

dab69
February 23rd, 2009, 06:18
40 would be WAY too young to be Homi.

We could always hope for Chao Dud though :smurfin:

giggsy
February 23rd, 2009, 06:49
its not gra is it? i heard he got suspended

i dont get it?? if there was no body how did the police know he was well hung?

i tried hanging myself once but i had to give up because i couldn't breath

:acid:

February 23rd, 2009, 07:04
Just had a quick check - its not mine!

jolyjacktar
February 23rd, 2009, 15:20
It cant be mine because at the time i was giving Head :pirate:

February 24th, 2009, 08:05
Headless Body Found in Topless Bar!!!!

No, not really.... :laughing3:

I just wanted to beat O'Booze to the punchline.

Smiles
February 24th, 2009, 10:36
:laughing3: indeed.
Gotta crank up the Yuk Yuk Awards one of these days.

Cheers ...

February 24th, 2009, 12:15
Actually, it does sound like a suicide. It is quite common for a head to snap off a body that's been hung from that height. The blood spattered on the bridge indicate to me that the head was attached to the body when it reached the end of the rope.

I would have to know how the head was attached to the rope before making a conclusion, though.

February 24th, 2009, 13:57
Its probably khun Pharts head. He has no need of it as he talks out of his ass.

February 25th, 2009, 00:46
Its probably khun Pharts head. He has no need of it as he talks out of his ass.

He certainly hasn't used it.

Oh & congratulations on joining us today, Tweedle Dee. Hope you enjoy your time here.

dab69
February 25th, 2009, 08:23
overkill

plastic bag over the head THEN a rope and jump?

February 25th, 2009, 10:13
The plastic bag was not over the head. It was attached to the rope, dangling free. Maybe it was what he carried the rope in.

Anyway, the conclusion is suicide. He left a suicide note in his own handwriting on the railing. His head was attached to the body when he jumped from the bridge. The force of the fall snapped it off, and sprayed blood on the base of the bridge.

Case closed.

giggsy
February 25th, 2009, 11:31
The plastic bag was not over the head. It was attached to the rope, dangling free. Maybe it was what he carried the rope in.

Anyway, the conclusion is suicide. He left a suicide note in his own handwriting on the railing. His head was attached to the body when he jumped from the bridge. The force of the fall snapped it off, and sprayed blood on the base of the bridge.

Case closed.

but what did he die of ?

February 25th, 2009, 11:48
What part of "head snapped off" is unclear to you?

dab69
February 25th, 2009, 17:38
According to Colonel Chavalit Prasobsilp the head was that of a 40yo man.

http://nationmultimedia.com/2009/02/23/ ... 096349.php (http://nationmultimedia.com/2009/02/23/headlines/headlines_30096349.php)

Severed foreigner's head found hanging from a bridge
By The Nation
Published on February 23

The head was apparently put in a plastic bag and hung from the bridge's railing.

February 25th, 2009, 19:04
That was the initial report, which was wrong. You can clearly see in the photos that the head was not in the bag.

giggsy
February 26th, 2009, 03:27
What part of "head snapped off" is unclear to you?

i read somewhere that if you cut off the head of a chicken the rest of the body can run around for up to 2 weeks. does this happen with humans ? and did anyone see the body swimming to land ? how long does the brain keep going after being decapitated ? and could he see his own body swimming to land ? i think FM might be wrong on this one.i think there was more chance of him dying from lack of oxygen then lack of a sense of humour

im sure BB will enlighten us..

February 26th, 2009, 23:37
His head was attached to the body when he jumped from the bridge. The force of the fall snapped it off, and sprayed blood on the base of the bridge.

Case closed.

The strange thing is not so much that Beach Bunny was apparently the only one to witness the death, but that the reports in the Thai language press differ so much from those in the English language papers. According to Thai TV, and as evidenced by the pictures of the head in Thai papers and on TV, the head was very cleanly cut from the body - no tears or tatters, as later reported, but a surgically clean cut which they first reported as being made by a sharp blade/wire. Suicide, case closed, is of course far more acceptable than a beheading.....

February 27th, 2009, 00:14
It's so obvious, the guy cut his own head off then put it in a plastic bag and hung it from the bridge so that he could see what he was doing as he positioned his body. Definitely a sucide constable, case closed :salute:

Reminds me of the story of a guy who chopped his own fingers off before signing a will benifiting a stranger, then setting fire to the room he was sleeping in to finish the job off :cheers:

krobbie
February 27th, 2009, 00:20
It just seems mighty strange that after all the years of people being hung by the neck until dead in the jails around the world, I have never read a report where the head actually detached from the body in the process.

I can see that others think this is a bit strange also.I mean it is not as if these people were standing on the ground and the lifted up. They were standing on trap doors and when they opened the body with its full weight was suspended in mid air. NO snapped head just snapped neck.

Perhaps he had a long piece of rope and jumped off, sort of like a bungy jump without the bounce? The whole thing seems bloody odd.

krobbie

jonwesley
February 27th, 2009, 00:58
Beheaded Foreigner "Probably Suicide"

BANGKOK -- The death of an unidentified Western man whose head was found hanging in a bag suspended from the Rama IX bridge has been ruled a suicide by police.

"Based on careful forensics, we think that he removed his own head, placed it in the bag, tied to the rope, lowered it over the side, and then jumped," said Police Colonel Chavalit Prasobsilp. "We see it all the time."

He then went on to explain that Thailand was home to a high number of such unusual suicides, such as renegade journalists shooting themselves twice in the head and corporate whistleblowers choosing to vanish in the middle of investigations to bury themselves in shallow unmarked graves.

http://notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=729

anakot
February 27th, 2009, 05:34
Beheaded Foreigner "Probably Suicide"

BANGKOK -- The death of an unidentified Western man whose head was found hanging in a bag suspended from the Rama IX bridge has been ruled a suicide by police.

"Based on careful forensics, we think that he removed his own head, placed it in the bag, tied to the rope, lowered it over the side, and then jumped," said Police Colonel Chavalit Prasobsilp. "We see it all the time."

He then went on to explain that Thailand was home to a high number of such unusual suicides, such as renegade journalists shooting themselves twice in the head and corporate whistleblowers choosing to vanish in the middle of investigations to bury themselves in shallow unmarked graves.

http://notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=729

Ahhhhhhh thanks for lifting my mood first thing on this dull grey foggy morning in Hong Kong...

February 27th, 2009, 07:09
It just seems mighty strange that after all the years of people being hung by the neck until dead in the jails around the world, I have never read a report where the head actually detached from the body in the process.

The difference is in the distance the body falls before it reaches the end of the rope -- and thus the gravitation force it finds when it gets there. In a jail, it is a matter of a few feet. In the bridge incident, it was more like 20 or 30.

February 27th, 2009, 07:20
Wow Beach Bunny you really are an expert in all things dangling.

Fattman mite be rite about the make up . i can definately see a tinge of blue on the cheeks http://www.pattayaone.net/news/2009/feb ... 52_3.shtml (http://www.pattayaone.net/news/2009/february/news_25_02_52_3.shtml)

February 27th, 2009, 07:27

The difference is in the distance the body falls before it reaches the end of the rope -- and thus the gravitation force it finds when it gets there. In a jail, it is a matter of a few feet. In the bridge incident, it was more like 20 or 30.

Expert on what goes on in jails are you ?

February 27th, 2009, 07:32
Expert enough to know that jail cells don't have cathedral ceilings, yeah.

February 27th, 2009, 08:06
It just seems mighty strange that after all the years of people being hung by the neck until dead in the jails around the world, I have never read a report where the head actually detached from the body in the process. ....

Actually it does happen. You hardly ever hear about botched executions because the authorities don't want you to. If you troll around some anti-death penalty websites you can come across some gruesome stories.

Looks like the guy dropped from 5 meteres (30 feet). That's a pretty long drop.

As for the initial reports that the head was "in a plastic bag" and "surgically severed", well, that was probably just some second hand sensationalism from some bystander or junior policeman who didn't know what he was talking about.

Of course on this board its a lot more fun for all the Drama Queens to run around screaming about mob hits and such. Much more dramatic than something boring like a head dangling from a bridge......

francois
February 27th, 2009, 08:55
Beach Bunny and Kenc are quite correct in what they post about hangings. Most jail cell hangings results in suffocation/asphyxiation but a body dropping from a height will result in decapitation. It is the hangman's dilemma, too short a drop=asphyxiation; too long a drop=decapitation; just right = severance of spinal cord.

neddy3
February 27th, 2009, 09:06
I'm prepared to be corrected here, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that when one of the top Iraqis (not Saddam) was executed by hanging, that the head was separated from the body, as a result of an excessive drop.

February 27th, 2009, 10:33
I'm prepared to be corrected here, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that when one of the top Iraqis (not Saddam) was executed by hanging, that the head was separated from the body, as a result of an excessive drop.

You are correct.

Smiles
February 27th, 2009, 10:45
A report is presented on a 47 year old man who committed suicide by hanging himself from a staircase bannister of an apartment house. The man, weighing 144 kg jumped with the noose of a 2 cm thick and 2 m long hemp rope around his neck and was completely decapitated. Death from typical тАЬnormalтАЭ suicidal hanging is usually due to cerebral ischaemia caused by compression of the carotid (and vertebral) arteries. Except for bleeding at the clavicular insertions of the sternocleidomastoid muscles there are only occasional injuries to the cervical soft parts or hyoid bone and/or laryngeal cartilage. A fall with a noose around the neck, on the other hand, is associated with more frequent injuries to cervical structures through additional axial traction and radial shearing forces of the tightening noose. Complete decapitation can occur in rare cases under extreme conditions (heavy body weight, inelastic and/or thin rope material, fall from a great height).

<< http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve ... 3899001401 (http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0379073899001401) >>

Cheers ...

February 28th, 2009, 07:46
It just seems mighty strange that after all the years of people being hung by the neck until dead in the jails around the world, I have never read a report where the head actually detached from the body in the process. ....

Actually it does happen. You hardly ever hear about botched executions because the authorities don't want you to. If you troll around some anti-death penalty websites you can come across some gruesome stories.

Looks like the guy dropped from 5 meteres (30 feet). That's a pretty long drop.

As for the initial reports that the head was "in a plastic bag" and "surgically severed", well, that was probably just some second hand sensationalism from some bystander or junior policeman who didn't know what he was talking about.

Of course on this board its a lot more fun for all the Drama Queens to run around screaming about mob hits and such. Much more dramatic than something boring like a head dangling from a bridge......

The head comming off is not necessary a botched execution,the death sentence was still carried out.Now if he was still alive after the head came off,I think that qualifies as a botched execution. :tnp:

February 28th, 2009, 09:25
....The head comming off is not necessary a botched execution,the death sentence was still carried out.Now if he was still alive after the head came off,I think that qualifies as a botched execution. :tnp:

Ok, I stand corrected. How does "messy execution" sound?

There was a scene in the Tom Hanks movie "The Green Mile" where an electrocution goes terribly wrong and the convict, screaming and yelling, is literally fried and burned to death before the horrified onlookers.
Afterward, when the smoke cleared, the Warden asked Hanks' character "What the Hell happened here!!!"

Hanks, with teeth clenched replied "A successful execution." :pukeright:

Oh BTW, after looking closely at the pic I think the "bag" hanging from the head might actually be part of his shirt that got caught in the noose and tore off. :pukeleft:

francois
February 28th, 2009, 09:52

You are correct.

Videos of his execution show him swinging from the rope with head attached to body. You can google it.

February 28th, 2009, 13:46

You are correct.

Actually, you are not correct. In the only execution of top Ba'athists where the "head was separated from the body" it was by the executioner's blade after death by hanging was proving ineffective - hardly the same thing.

Maybe Kenc and Beach Bunny, who appear to have some knowledge of the incident unavailable to the rest of us, could also explain why:

a. The immigration photograph presented by police of the "dead man" bears no resemblance whatsoever to the head (eyes, nose, chin, hair line, overall shape, etc) http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1 ... -foreigner (http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/12302/detectives-identify-headless-foreigner) .

b. The dead man chose to write his "suicide note" in a foreign language.

c. The English in the "suicide note was barely comprehensible", at best, while the thank-you note he left for his accommodation was written in word-perfect English.

Only minor points - I am sure there is some reasonable explanation (or just maybe they made a mistake??)

February 28th, 2009, 13:58
The immigration photo does look exactly like the head, and the guesthouse owner where he was staying -- as well as his family from Italy -- have now identified the body.

When overseas, the lingua franca is English. I do not find it unusual at all that his would leave his goodbye note in English rather than Italian.

So he managed one note without mistakes, and another one did have mistakes. Big deal. The handwriting matches.

I suppose you have a better explanation. Perhaps someone lured him onto the bridge, forced him to write a note in his own handwriting, then forced him to jump with a noose around his neck. He WAS alive when he hit the bottom of the rope -- that is the only explanation for the blood spatters that were clearly visible on the base of the bridge.

Seems like a lot of trouble for someone who was a completely impecunious, down-on-his-luck nobody...when a bullet in the back of the head or a fall off a balcony would have been much easier. This happened on one of the busiest bridges in Bangkok -- in broad daylight.

Sounds like someone has a very fertile imagination.

February 28th, 2009, 15:19
The immigration photo does look exactly like the head !!!!!

.....the guesthouse owner where he was staying -- as well as his family from Italy -- have now identified the body. I have seen no report of any identification by his family - maybe you could give a link?

When overseas, the lingua franca is English. I do not find it unusual at all that his would leave his goodbye note in English rather than Italian. Hardly surprising, as you seem to find nothing unusual about the entire episode.

So he managed one note without mistakes, and another one did have mistakes. Big deal. The handwriting matches. I did not have the chance to check it, as you apparently have, nor, unlike you, am I a graphologist (and please, nobody say "maybe his mind was elsewhere"!)

I suppose you have a better explanation. You suppose wrong - I am simply pointing out the inconsistencies in the explanation offered.

He WAS alive when he hit the bottom of the rope -- that is the only explanation for the blood spatters that were clearly visible on the base of the bridge. Actually, no it isn't - unlike you I have not checked "the blood spatters that were clearly visible on the base of the bridge", nor would there be much point as, again unlike you, I am not a pathologist, but if a dead body (and most headless bodies are dead) smashed into the base of the bridge there would probably be some blood. Maybe you could also give a link to the picture showing this? According to the pictures I have seen the head was dangling in the middle of a very large span and no "spatters" would have gone anywhere near the bases.

This happened on one of the busiest bridges in Bangkok -- in broad daylight. Yes ..... and nobody noticed, nor did they see the head dangling there for several hours, nor was anything recorded on the video cameras. Unusual - but maybe not to you.

February 28th, 2009, 15:24
In other words, you know little to nothing about the case, and are merely talking out your arse. When you have a credible alternative scenario for what happened, be sure to get back to us (and to the police and forensic pathologists on the case -- I'm sure they'd love to hear from you). In the meantime, get back to your old episodes of Murder, She Wrote.

DamienZ
February 28th, 2009, 19:39
....The head comming off is not necessary a botched execution,the death sentence was still carried out.Now if he was still alive after the head came off,I think that qualifies as a botched execution. :tnp:

Ok, I stand corrected. How does "messy execution" sound?

There was a scene in the Tom Hanks movie "The Green Mile" where an electrocution goes terribly wrong and the convict, screaming and yelling, is literally fried and burned to death before the horrified onlookers.
Afterward, when the smoke cleared, the Warden asked Hanks' character "What the Hell happened here!!!"

Hanks, with teeth clenched replied "A successful execution." :pukeright:

Oh BTW, after looking closely at the pic I think the "bag" hanging from the head might actually be part of his shirt that got caught in the noose and tore off. :pukeleft:

Forgive me there kenc, but the Green Mile quote was so memeorable...here it is:
Hal: [after Del's execution] WHAT IN THE BLUE FUCK WAS THAT? There's puke all over the floor up there. And that smell! I had Van Hayes open both doors but that smell's not going out for five damn years that's what I'm bettin'. And that asshole, Wharton, is singing about it. You can hear him up there!

DZ :study:

March 2nd, 2009, 14:08
In other words, you know little to nothing about the case, and are merely talking out your arse.

And, in this case, I readily admit it - I make no claim to be any better informed than you. Unlike you, however, I do draw the line at making up details about it, such as the family having identified the body/head by 28 February, the visible blood spatters, etc.

When you have a credible alternative scenario for what happened, be sure to get back to us (and to the police and forensic pathologists on the case -- I'm sure they'd love to hear from you).

Alternative scenarios? Knowing as little about it as you, there would be little point in speculating, however if I were to do so then the point that chopping the heads off members of rival gangs and hanging them from bridges is relatively commonplace in Russia may not escape me. I would hardly need to inform the "police and forensic pathologists on the case" - after all, it was the first pathologist on the case from Siriraj Hospital (not "...just some second hand sensationalism from some bystander or junior policeman who didn't know what he was talking about.") who said that the head had been cleanly severed by a sharp object, and the police who first approached the Russian embassy for help identifying the body.

Vale ....

March 2nd, 2009, 15:13
I have not made up anything. I've just followed the reports a little better than you have (in Italian and Thai, as well as English).

Italian investigators have also now been on the scene and concluded that it was suicide.

Have you contacted them with your alternative theory of a grand cover-up, Miss Marple?

March 5th, 2009, 09:23
....Forgive me there kenc, but the Green Mile quote was so memeorable...

Uh...I paraphrased. :idea:

Did you notice in that movie that every execution was botched....uh, I mean "messy"?

Of course that was just a work of fiction, right?

GF,
There are more inconsistencies in the press reports than in Bunny's version.
The early versions of the head being "in a plastic bag" and "surgically cut off" were wrong and corrected in later versions.
BTW, I might have read wrong but it was my understanding that the "note" was some words scribbled on the bridge itself and might not have even been the guy's own writing (ie grafitti).

gra46
March 6th, 2009, 16:44
its not gra is it? i heard he got suspended

Ohhh no RIP GRA45

March 8th, 2009, 16:46
GF,
There are more inconsistencies in the press reports than in Bunny's version.
The early versions of the head being "in a plastic bag" and "surgically cut off" were wrong and corrected in later versions.
BTW, I might have read wrong but it was my understanding that the "note" was some words scribbled on the bridge itself and might not have even been the guy's own writing (ie grafitti).

Precisely, Kenc, hence my original (and main) point about the differences between the reports in the Thai and English press. The "inconsistencies" are even more curious when you consider that the "early versions" came not from bystanders/junior police/second-hand information, etc, but from officials and doctors who were in a position to make those comments. As I said, however, I am not in a position to make any conclusions about it which is why I have not - unlike BB/BG, who decided it was "case closed" even before the police did (and who has still not been able to give an links to the "reports" he has made up).

Plus ca change, etc ...

March 8th, 2009, 19:34
Not unable to.

Not predisposed to spending a single second refuting the inanities of an uniformed, stubborn, cunt.

Google it yourself, in the Italian and Thai press, if you want.

Or even better, stick your own head in a bag and jump off a bridge yourself. Twat.

giggsy
March 8th, 2009, 20:14
Don't we just love a good well balanced argument